Just a quick summary of what has happened so far to me : About February 2012 I began to have sleep problems. It first started with waking up multiple times per night and over the course of several weeks it turned into me not being able to sleep at all. I felt this kind of buzzing/wired feeling if I did not fall asleep and I would literally lay in bed from 11pm till 7am without being able to sleep. I did the the whole doctor tests thing. My blood work came back fine, thyroid was fine. Went to a sleep doctor, he gave me sleeping pills, those didnt work. Had a sleep study done, I slept about 1.5hrs during the sleep study. After this, they thought it was psychological so they refered me to a psychiatrist. He questioned me about symptoms and back then it was inability to fall asleep or sleep for only 4-5 hrs and once I woke up I felt useless, disinterested, dizzy, lathargic etc. all symptoms of anxiety/depression. So they put me on ssris. Those worked fine for about 2 months , and I started to have problems again. Started waking up , couldnt fall asleep once I woke up which was at the same time every morning around 5am. To be clear, I did not go through anything traumatic, I was not / am not stressed at all, was not /am not depressed or sad but despite this, my psychiatrist insisted I had low serotonin biologically. 

I am a 27 yr old male, varsity soccer player, lifting weights for the past 6 years. I stopped taking the anti depressants after I began having these wacked out side effects. I stopped taking the ssri in june and my sleeping came back to normal, relatively, until I started working out again. Since June, through some rough trial and error I have narrowed my problem down to exercise. On nights when I worked out with intesnity ie. high heart rate workouts whether it was with weights or soccer, I would feel like my body just goes into this heightened mode and wont relax and I cannot sleep properly. And this would drag on for days ! If I work out on Monday 6pm, that night I would sleep maybe 5 hrs, wake up around 5 am and not be able to go back to sleep because my body seems like its in overdrive , it wouldn't just relax. On nights like this, when I wake up I feel VERY AWAKE, there is no drowsiness or heavy eyelids, and its very exhausting to feel this way upon waking up. Meditation helped but very little. I played soccer last week with my buddies from 10pm to 11 30 pm. Went to bed at 1am, slept for about 30 mins and woke up with the same feeling, this wired awake feeling, felt like I was hot down my spine but my gf said my body was very cold. After I woke up I did not fall asleep again until 11 am that morning. The fatigue continues throughout the day and drags on for days , sometimes up to 2 weeks. And if your first thought is "you shouldn't work out so late its the adrenaline", let me tell you that I've been working out late and early and at every time of day or night throughout my teens and adulthood and never had ANY problems sleeping. In fact I was used to sleeping 9-10 hrs a night.

It does not make sense for somebody that has been active his whole life to out of nowhere have these difficulties. I am not sure if this really is a serotonin problem or nervous system or something totally off the map but I am out of ideas. I have been taking blood pressure readings every day for a week to show my doctor what it looks like pre and post workout and this past Monday I worked out at 730 to 830. I slept for a total of 3hrs that night , from 1 to 4, woke up at 4 and same thing, wired awake , not recovered etc. Tuesday night I flew overnight to London, couldnt sleep on the flight, just simply wasnt drowsy felt like a zombie. Spent the entire day making connecting flights and buses to get to my hotel in Venice, Italy. Came to the hotel exhausted and only mustered out 20 mins of sleep. I went out to dinner, walked for an hour afterwards, came back to hotel and couldnt fall asleep all night. It is now almost 6am and I have slept about 4 hrs total for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday night. I dont know what to do anymore.

i had a similar problem 4 yrs back, i started meditation and yoga, i am better know, self hipnotisim is the method i followed for meditation which is very easy. trythis it may help u too.

regards

sirish

where can I find how to do self hipnotism

I have the exact same problem as you describe above.  I have been lifting for about 5 years and this year I started not being able to fall asleep and once I do I constantly wake up, feel dizzy and then cannot go back to sleep.  I would be interested to hear if anything seems to help you out.