Hello everyone.

I'm a 23 years old male living in Iran. Recently, I've been experiencing a very strange problem with fruits that has led to me stop eating them. The problem is after eating almost any kind of fruits, specially melon, I immediately feel sleepy. A few days ago I couldn't resist a fairly big piece of melon and after eating it I fell asleep for more than 8 hours (from 8 pm to 5 am). last night I decided to see if it happens again and after eating two tiny pieces, almost immediately it all came to me but this time it went away by eating some chocolates.

It seems that, if I can survive not falling sleep, taking some sweets will make the sleepiness go away.

Banana, Cucumber, Water melon, Pomegranate and a few others have also caused the same symptoms but nothing like the bloody melons.

This also happens ,although rarely, after daily meals. Your thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mohsen,

I suspect you may have an allergy to certain fruits.  It is possible.

See an allergist.

Hi Moshen, I suspect even more so that you may have a form of Diabetes that needs to be checked out by your doctor. Eating chocolate that reverses your sleepiness looks like being a pointer.

hello mohsen, I want to give you an advice just eat fruits on the day of morning and not in the night, you also change your fruits with apple.. try, I hope it works for you.. 

hey I also eat many fruits so i would like to suggest that dont eat fruit at one time only eat them in interval of  2hrs. It will surely help you  :-|

YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE PRE DIABETES. BUT YOUR BODY PRODUCES INSULIN THAT TELLS THE CELLS TO OPEN UP AN D ACCEPT GLUCOSE.. I MYSELF CAN BARELY STAY AWAKE AFTER EATING. MY CELLS ARE INSULIN RESISTANT. MY INSULIN IS DAMAGED. I PRODUCE MORE THAN ENOUGH INSULIN BUT IT IS DAMAGED SO MY BODY OVER PRODUCES WHEN I EAT TO TRY TO FIX IT. THE EXTRA INSULIN MAKES ME SLEEPY. YOUR BODY NEEDS CHROMINUM TO PRODUCE HEALTHLY INSULIN. THE FIRST DAY I STARTED TAKING 1000 MG . OF CROMINUM I WAS NOT SLEEPY AFTER EATING. IT IS A MIRACLE FOR ME AND I WANT TO SHARE IT.

Mohsen, Just to let you know...I have the same problem. But...I get sleepy after eating anything with sugar in it.....especially fruit! It gets so bad that I have fallen asleep standing up or just talking to someone.

You might have to much nutrition in you for eating to much fruits and your body might be trying to cetch up

I've had this problem my whole like and I'm not a diabetic. This is what I've found to help me...... In ayurvedic medicine, you have to be very careful with fruits. All food combos actually. We're not supposed to mix melons... Don't eat watermelon with cantilope, or cantilope with honeydew for example. Or with any other fruit or food. Mixing different energies, food tastes, or post-digestive effects can cause fermentation, indigestion and gas formation resulting in bad digestion and production of toxins, that can make you feel funny, tired, upset stomach. Look into Ayurvedic if non of the other answers help you.

First check your insulin level, it can be a diabetes symptom.

funny reading the article

Non sense, mellon has a great deal of an amino acid called Tryptophan, which a precursor of Serotonin and Melatonin, the later is the amino acid that is produced in our organism to makes us asleep when we go to bed. So here's your secret. You are very sensitive to this amino acid and other people react with a lesser degree. The other day I ate half of a mellon in the evening and I fell sleep right away and slept for straight eight hours ( a rarity in my sleep pattern)

I have the same problem. Lately I got sleepy after eating melons.

Could be a salicylate intolerance....amongst other things, it can mess with your blood sugar......

Hi..Thank you so much for sharing your experience as I too am experiencing what mohsen is....I'll get some tests done and hopefully it won't be as bad as being diabetic...I'm vegan also so not sure if this is part of the sleepy effect.

Roberta x