Hey everyone,

I've been waiting in line to see my doctor with a friend of mine, we have the same doctor and we just went for some routine control, I caught a cold so I just wanted him to prescribe me some medications. We went outside for some fresh air and I offered my friend a cigarette, she wouldn't take it because she is on a therapeutic lifestyle changes diet. I never heard about this before and I have no idea why is she on a diet, she doesn't seem fat to me or anything, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows who can follow Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet?

Hi Stradivarius,

Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) is a program that can help you lower cholesterol. The lifestyle changes include diet, exercise, weight loss, and not smoking. Your doctor will want you to follow TLC even if you are taking cholesterol-lowering medicine. And medicine will work better if you have healthy habits. This program is recommended by the National Cholesterol Education Program of the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

I'm guessing that your friend is having problems with high cholesterol then, it's not dangerous, that's for sure, and this diet is ideal for lowering one's cholesterol. I don't that it is used for anything else.

Hey Stradivarius,

People have varying degrees of success in lowering their cholesterol by changing their diets. Those who are most successful using diet changes to lower their cholesterol are those who lose excess weight. Diet changes are usually the first step in lowering cholesterol before medicines are added.

This basically means that if you want to lower your cholesterol, you need to start exercising. A person should exercise on a daily basis so that it becomes a habit, that way he or she is going to lose weight even faster than he or she expected. Once you lose excessive weight, you are going to lower your cholesterol.

Hello everyone,

This diet differs a bit from other diets and I'll tell you why.

The diet's main focus is to reduce the amount of saturated fat you eat, because saturated fat elevates your cholesterol. You can reduce the saturated fat in your diet by limiting the amount of meat and whole milk products you eat. Choose low-fat products from those food groups instead. Replace most of the animal fat in your diet with unsaturated fat, especially monounsaturated oils, such as olive, canola, or peanut oil. If monounsaturated fat is substituted for saturated fat, it lowers LDL ("bad") cholesterol and keeps HDL ("good") cholesterol up.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies, I didn't even consider that this has anything to do with one's cholesterol. I'm not used to thinking about diets much since I never needed one, and if you ask me, you don't need a diet for cholesterol, just enough well planned and organized exercise, like you already mentioned. I know some people who were pretty much fat and they turned everything around by starting to go to the jym, jogging and running. I myself am I runner, I can run for up to 20 km each day, makes me feel alive and keeps me healthy.

Hi there Stradivarius,

I completely agree with you, dietary changes are not as good as exercising when it comes to reducing one's cholesterol. I mean, it can help, definitely, by removing the fast food from your diet and all other things that aren't healthy but if you exercise regularly, you are going to burn all these unhealthy things from your body anyway. Jogging and running are probably the two best ways to reduce one's cholesterol and to lose weight. Cycling might be the best of all ways to reduce weights, I've seen some people who ride it for an entire day and at the end of the day they have 2-3 kilos less.

Hey there. I believe that there no are rules who can follow it. You need to consult your doctor before you start to follow it, and if he allows you this you should definitely start by choosing your target calorie level. If your only concern is lowering LDL, the goal is 2,500 per day for men and 1,800 for women. The diet has one and  main focus and it is to reduce the amount of saturated fat you eat, because saturated fat elevates your cholesterol. You can also reduce the saturated fat in your diet by limiting the amount of meat and milk products you eat. Choose low-fat products from those food groups instead.

Good day there. Well, generally people with high cholesterol should follow this diet program. It is a diet program for those who are fighting with high cholesterol as well. The TLC or therapeutic Lifestyle Changes diet is one of several heart-healthy diets that can lower cholesterol and help lower your risk of heart disease or stroke. When you follow this diet, you eat less fat and change the types of fats. That is really important as well. You should try to follow it as fast as you can and I am sure that you will see changes soon. Good luck. 

Hello everyone. I have high cholesterol and I got it after my first pregnancy. I don't know is this connected or not, but I have it. That is when I have heard about this diet program for the first time. My best friend recommend me to try with it and of course, I consulted my doctor about it. He told me that this diet program is really good, but not only for people who have high cholesterol levels. According to him, it is good for everyone who wants to have normal, healthy and quality life. So I think that everyone can follow it. Good luck.

This is definitely one of the best diet program that I have tried ever. The menu for this diet program is quite simple and it is healthy, tasty and delicious. The aim of this diet program is actually to decrease saturated fat intake, which will in turn lower “bad” LDL cholesterol levels. Substituting these fats with unsaturated fats (“good” fats) will also help with heart health. So if you have problem with it, it is a right diet for you. If you have some possibilities to have it, it is also good diet program for you. It is really great!