I'm a 24 year old female; had my tonsils removed on Monday, 8/31/09. I'm post op day 8 & let me tell you, this trip of recovery has been BRUTAL! I can't tell if the surgery was worth it or not yet - it hasn't been determined. I think that days 3, 6, 7, & 8 have been the worst for me. On day 5, I ate half a piece of pizza (which did not taste great, as I have been dreaming) with little to no pain. I thought I was over the worst, but the worst had yet to come. I've realized that this recovery is not gradual, but bi-polar. One day, I feel great. The next, I feel the worst. On day 6, my throat felt the worst. I think I had started shedding the "white scabs" because today, when I looked into the back of my throat, all I see are two huge holes where the tonsils used to be . . and the white scabs are gone. Day 7 & 8 (today), I've been experiencing the WORST earaches!! It still sucks to swallow, but I can't stand the earaches. I stopped taking the liquid oxycodone because it burns going down. I would imagine that after the scabs came off, my throat is pretty raw. So, nothing for pain. I'm too afraid to swallow any medicine because on the left side of my throat - it feels like i'm drinking liquid fire. Also.. when I tried to drink my water today, it feels like the water goes down my throat and right into my ear, causing my earache to be even worse. I have no idea what that is all about.

I thought I'd feel a lot better by day 8 . . but I don't. :$ I'm starting to lose my mind. I'm SO thirsty, I could drink enough water to fill a pool. And not to mention, completely starving. I hope that, by tomorrow, day 9, the earaches subside . . and I can actually drink as much as I want to. *crossing fingers*

OH, and I've also been lucky when it comes to bleeding - no blood whatsoever yet, knocking on wood. Thank God!!

As you probably know, the openning to the ear cannal (eustachian tube) is practically next to you tonsil area. So if you experiencing pain maybe you should call your ENT becasue you might have an infection. I had a tonsillectomy at age 36 and I was told that earaches are not part of the recovery. You may have inflammation of the tube too. Get it checked out. Good luck.

i had my tosills out two weeks ago, all went well a bit sore but not too bad, then 5 days later i felt extremely dizzy, sick and lost my balance. i was told by the doc i must have a viral inner ear infection. find this hard to believe as i have never had an inner ear infection before. i finally got some relief from the nausea with stemetil tabs. finally got some relief from the dizzyness when a friend suggested trying an anti histamine, im feeling better now but still dizzy when i move my head. what really bothers me is the way the ENT docs deny it has anything to do with the op.