Hello. I'm 20 year old male and I would like to find out more about tonsillectomy operation. I suffer from chronic acute tonsillitis fro several months now and this is troubling me every year for past three of four years. I have been to my doctor several times over this and every time I've got some antibiotic but nothing really could help me.
Just the other day I am being referred to a specialist to have my tonsils removed. I don’t know anything about this tonsillectomy operation and I would really like to find out some information. I am wondering what I can expect the recovery time to be, the amount of time I should take off work and when I will be able to go back to day-to-day activities soon?

I have had this tonsillectomy operation few years back when I was 18 and I can tell you that tonsillectomy tends to be a very painful operation in adults. It hurt me like hell even though I've got the anesthesia injection. It can be done in short time period and you can be home the same day.
There are almost now side effects but there are post-op risks. The main risks of tonsillectomy are bleeding, pain, and dehydration.
Dehydration can occur because of low oral intake after operation. Bleeding also could occur and the common period for it about 7-10 days after surgery because "scab" first begins to slough.
But after 15 days you should not have any more problems with it. But it is essential that you have this discussion with your surgeon.

corabella wrote:

.my son has had this surgery and was
treated just as roughly by the surgeon as could get.She did not make
us aware that tonsilitus could be treated with diet or sleep solutions,
or a easier laser surgery.He was only seven years old,very trusting and
innocent.The orthonologists did not care about his life.This surgey was
very major and severe and life threatening to him.The surgeon did not
aware us it was a in patient out patient surgery either.The surgeon had
my sweet son by an emergency backdoor surgery room as if she knew
she was going to be rough with him and this was a major surgery to fly
him to a major hospital if something went wrong. I was frantic ,Iwanted
to cancel it. We had family problems with his daddy bringing his girlfriend
the same day.The surgeon put a security guard in between me and her.
I did not understand why until after she let me in the surgery room.
There is no way this surgery should be an inpatient outpatient surgey.
They do not let most parents in the surgery room.I feel a great need
to our society to let parents not to have this surgery done for any reason.
I truly believe it was and still is done for money by doctors.My son is
just a little boy and felt as a surgeon stepped his throat of mucsles and
tissue from his throat and adnoid tissue which is the third tonsil and to
the person feeling like someone is cutting meat near your brain,and thinking that this doctor was trying to kill him.Then cutting near his brain
shoving something hard near his brains very loudly by his eardrums.
This is where the doctor informs you ahead of time that the patient
will feel like a stuffed potatoe.They will tell you it's a routine surgery
and an in patient out patient surgery and it isn't and should never be.
They should allow at least two weeks hospital stay if it's absolutely
necessary.They let me in the surgery room right afterwards.My son
thew up his own blood with large amounts of (meat)mucsle and tissue
and pouring his own precsious blood from his nose and ears what they
call aspirating on his own blood ,so dangerous and life threatening that
it looks like your precious life and child's life and his blood from this
heartless surgeon would have drownded his brain.If their is any parent
listening just do not let the doctors misinform you or even do this surgery
for any reason ever or at all.Spend more quality time in the sunshine
at the park something.An infection is not half as bad as this surgery!
This sugery is very painful.They cannot swollow anything afterwards
and are so frightened to try to.My sons stitches never broke but other
moms whose childrens' stitches broke had a secondary loss of blood
risk to their childrens' life . No child should go through this for any reason.

My son also had tonsillectomy done and it wasn’t as scary as your story is.
He spent a few days in hospital before the surgery and he was given a local anesthesia. There were some post-operative bleeding. I can’t say he wasn’t in pain after the surgery but it wasn’t that tragic. I am sorry you and your child had to go through such painful procedure. Maybe you should have asked questions about the surgeon first.

I had my tonsils out 3 weeks ago, and i am 20. It was a horrific experience, I must admit. I am still healing. At one point I did not think I was ever going to get better. It was extremely painful, horrible time for me. Everything went wrong, that seemed to be able to go wrong. I Had to be rushed back to the hosipital two days after, because of the dedydration, throwing up, I felt like I had the flu!!! Then, since I was not getting better at all, I went to my family doctor. She gave me anti nausea patches, which helped alot with that. I was still dehydrated, so she threatened me with getting more down, but it was so hard, and everything taste horrible. Then, I pushed myself to go back to classes, but I could hardly make it. I had my post op visit exactly two weeks later, and he said another week and i will be perfect, but the next day I woke up with post of bleeding. It was the 15th day after.....it was the scariest experience in the world. I thought I was going to DIE...but as you can see I am fine now, but the experience was horrible. Today is the 20th day...and i finally have begun to eat more, still not right. Everytime I eat I get a stomach ache, and severe pains. I guess because I didn't eat hardly anything while I was healing, I lost a total of 24pounds....I finally made it through a full day of classes on the 16th day after, but I have yet to make it too work. I am going to try that on monday. You feel so weak, and exhausted so quick, that its hard to get back into a routine. I also, still get a really dry throat when I talk, so i constantly have a bottle of water or something in my hand, and my throat still hurts a little, especially after I eat, or wake up from sleeping. Its a really slow recovery. My voice has changed, i sound really nasally now, I hope that goes away...but the good thing is that I feel like I can breathe now, and i don't choke anymore on food...so now that I am almost better, I don't regret having it done as much as I did. But, be prepared for a long recovery if you are an adult. I definately wasn't. My doctor also said the larger your tonsils are when they come out, means the longer of a recovery that you are going to have...I wish he told me that before the postop, I would have waited till i had more time to give to recuperation..I am so behind in college, that i don't know if theres a return..so the expereince sucked..

i would like to make a few responses to the post beginning with:
'my son has had this surgery and was
treated just as roughly by the surgeon as could get.'
I would first of all like to ask which country this operation was performed in? I ask because i have some serious doubts about the kind of healthcare that allows you to become so traumatised after such a simple operation. This is not life-threatening major surgery as you have alluded to...indeed myself and many of my family have undergone this operation...one of whom had hers removed with no anastetic or painkillers on her kitchen table (I will admit that this was an exceptional circumstance where they needed to be removed immediately, and this was many years ago before we had the medical advances available today!).
I would however like to state that i myself had a tonsillectomy eight days ago, and as i am sure you are aware if you have read up on the subject this procedure gets significatnly more painful in adulthood. As an adult, and one who had several complications including a lot of blood loss afterwards and a large suction tube being put down my throat to attempt to remove a blood clot, i was extremely glad that i was not rushed back into theatre to have the back of my throat cauterised which became an option. Fortunately i eventually stopped bleeding and now ate eight days and counting i am still in pain, have only just begun to get my voice back and eating is my least favourite part of the day.
Having undergone all that i am astounded that your surgeons cut anywhere near your son's brain, why on earth would they do this...your tonsils are in the back of your throat..what were they thinking! The only way they could have got near his brain would have been to shove a sharp impliment violently and with intent through the top of his mouth and force it into his head...why would anyone do this!!!!
I would also like to point out that surgery is a relatively violent thing...that is just how it must be, it is not intended to be the easy way out, but it is not a reflection on the surgeons themself who have merely prevented your son getting bouts and bouts of tonsilitis...which i assure you is not a plesent experience. I am currently waiting for the pain to subside...i do not however, regret for a second this procedure and certainly would not hesitate for a second to recommend it to parents, especially as the younger the children are, the less a traumatic experience it will be. I belive children are able to reture to school within a week! This seems somewhat better than keeping children cooped up in a hospital for two weeks when other patients with serious illnesses may need the beds.
Please, please write back and tell me whereabouts your child had this horrible experience, as it really should not have been such a trauma for either of you!

I'm almost 25 and going in for a tonsilectomy in about two & a half weeks. They have been treated (unsuccessfully) with different anti-biotics several times.

At the hospital, the results of tests show no apparent cause - disease, virus, bacterial infection, auto-immune disorder, or otherwise - for my tonsils to be swollen. However they have been swollen for the past 17 weeks.

As there is no risk of infection (my blood being clear from all the tests), it is reasonably safe to perform the operation. They prefer not to perform the operation with swollen tonsils but they can’t get them to go down. I’m on antibiotics for the next two weeks to kill anything bad in my system & try further to reduce swelling and one week for them to leave my system.

I've been told recently by others that they now encourage the eating of toast or rougher foods (instead of jelly & ice-cream) to progressively remove the outer layer of scab on a continual basis as the recovery. This, I presume, stops one large scab from forming & falling off. Does anybody know anything about this?

Are there any particular questions to ask the surgeon beforehand?

Thanks,
Brian

OK PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRAZY MOM THAT DOESN'T SPELL VERY WELL!!! As long as you find a decent doctor at a good hospital you do not have anything to worry about when you get your tonsils out. Yea it kinda hurts and if you have problems with bleeding it can be a pain, but it won't kill you. Everyone has a different reaction, I for example just had surgery 5 days ago and have not taken any pain meds since the day of the surgery. I've been eating pasta since day 2 and plan to continue although I've heard warnings that day 7 is going to be worse than the previous days. ANYHOW MY ADVICE Don't go to Doctor Bubba that doesn't know about the new and improved methods of surgery and you should be fine. In my opinion when it comes to surgery and me not being conscious I want to be at the best hospital I can find in my area, and in the hands of the best doctor I can find. And if it costs a little more, IT'S PROBABLY WORTH IT! I mean they are cutting into you so go the safe route instead of being sorry later.

Hi, I am a 20 year old adult male, who 5 days ago had his tonsils and adneoids out. When they finished my operation the doctor told my parents that I had abnormally large tonsils and that the recovery will be more difficult than most of his patients. So far I can still barely eat anything, drink anything. Very hard to eat macaroni. I am just sticking to yogurt. This has caused me to lose 8 lbs so far. Be very careful, I am amazed I have not had to go back to the hospital for dehydration. Try to drink as much as possible even though it is extremely hard to do.
In general, if you are not a kid, having your tonsils out is going to hurt more. So far this has been an extremely painful operation and recovery. I still can barely talk, but I know that the pain I am in now will be worth it.

Hi I am a 21 year old female and I had my tonsils out exactly two weeks ago, I have had numerous strept throat infections and some have even sent me to the hospital because my throat completely closed up. Anywho, my surgeon warned me how painful the surgery would be but after weighing the options I decided to have it done because you never will get an infection again.

The surgery only took a half an hour and I was in the hospital for about 5 hours total. The first day wasn't bad for pain, I was given percocet for pain and an antibiotic called Keflex. The second and third days were the worst for pain because I could not eat or barely drink. I am not very tolerable for pain so I had to crush my percocet up and take them with applesauce. I ended up back in the hospital on day 2 from dehydration and vomiting everything that went down. I spent the night on IV fluids and was given Reglan for the nausea and some Morphine for the pain. On days 4-7 I had to resort to drinking thickened apple juice because I was choking on think liquids. But, by day 8 I started drinking regular liquids and started eating macoroni and noodles and soups.

Now on day 14 I can eat almost everything, except for crunchy foods like chips and such, I would not recommend eating milky foods like ice cream, pudding, and yogurt because they make you very flemmy and it makes you feel like you have to keep swallowing. I am going back to work tomorrow and I feel good to do so. I would recommend two weeks for a full recovery and lots of rest. The first week you may get restless nights of sleep because of uncomfortable pain. It's a good idea to have ice packs handy that helps with the pain if you apply an ice pack to your throat. Your voice is going to change for a while also but it will go back to normal and it may seem like you can never eat again but don't worry you will.

A humidifier is also good while sleeping, it keeps your throat moist. And don't worry if your throat looks all white, it's suppose to, those are the moist scabs, it means it's healing. I didn't have a bleeding problem with my scabs falling off but just take it easy on what you eat. Don't jump into crunchy foods right away start soft and gradually progress. Even after two weeks I still won't do potato chips and it still hurts to swallow at times. The pain will get better I stopped taking the percocet after 8 days. It is always the most painful in the morning but the pain gets better as the day goes on.

The pain isn't fun at all I will admit that and it is still there but at least it is bareable now. For the first days it may seem like the pain will never end but it does get better. So good luck with the surgery.

Okay well i had mine out about 8 days ago today. What can i say it was great , actually it was very sore......what i will say is that their is no way to tell how the next person will react.

Unlike the previous poster, i was able to eat crisps, although these should be plain with no flavouring, as these tend to set off the ulsers that can form where your Tonsils used to sit.

The first couple od days are awkward, for me day 5 and 6 where bad, but as soon as i got over this is been steadily getting better every day now, to can just about eat most foods, except chocolate (again the ulscers are trigger by this).

Have plenty of ice packs prepared for drinks etc.

Try to eat, even if it takes you about a hour to eat some bread ( i found eating the soft inner part of the bread possible at my worse points), drinking liquids didnt really prove a big problem for me.

But htis is my biggest piece of advice.

As painkillers go Voltarol Dispersable is simply amazing, offering about 5 hours of near total relief at a time (although again eating could set off some painful pangs), again take your time rest then eat again.

The great thing about Voltarol is that it mixes with water easily, and only take about 3 mouthsfuls to take, plus should they wear off till your next dose, you can take sommin like Co-codamol to tie you over.

I Hope this helps, anoth little thing i did to help me mentally, i printed on A4 and hung on my wall..."youll sonn be back to your normal self"...some reason that really helped, as i though ahead that this time next year ill have forgotten about it, and be Sore throat free! :-D

I had my tonsillectomy and two other procedures last Thurs (7/13). One procedure was called a UPP and the other had something to do with scraping my nasal passages to make breathing easier. The doctor had warned me that on a scale of 1 to 10, my throat would be a 9.5 and my nose would be a 4. He wasn't kidding!!! After the 2nd day, my nose plugged up and I couldn't breathe except through my mouth which hurt that too.
This is day 7 and it still hurts like hell. It's just that the pain isn't constant--it comes and goes in waves now. I can feel the scabs healing at the back of my throat and they make me cough. I liked cold stuff at first but now that hurts my ears. So I've switched to lukewarm broth and jello. I'm tired of being hungry all the time. Liquids are hard to swallow. Popsicles did work for a while but now I really have to smush them up to warm them a bit. I tried some over-cooked ramen noodles and got down about 2 tablespoons of that today with a little more chicken broth.
I expected the white scabs at the back of my throat but my tongue is sore too and coated with thick white stuff. I have to get it off with a tongue scraper and that doesn't work that well.
I can't wait till the day that I can look back on this as just a memory. I'm a school teacher on vacation but I still wasn't ready to sacrifice so much of my summer vacation for this!
Good luck to the rest of you!

They gave me pills of percocet which hurt to take cause they're so huge. I hate crushing them cause they taste awful too.
Good luck to the rest of you!

Hi I am male, 20 years old and I am on day 8 after having my tonsils out. Like others have said, the older you are, the longer it is going to take to heal so the more pain your going to have to go through. Starting yesterday the pain was a tad worse than usual. It hurts quite a bit now because I just woke up. You'll always feel worst when waking up. I had abnormally large tonsils when they took them out so my healing time will take longer. Not looking forward to it....

Eating soft foods such as chicken noodle soup, jello, pudding, scrambled eggs, pasta, and ice cream has been the way to go for me. It is still hard to swallow so you might find that you won't eat as much as you normally do just because it would hurt too much. But definitely take your time to make sure you get something down. I have tried my best and have still lost 18 pounds.

I have not had to go back to the hospital for any reason, I had the scabs break on me once and sat around spitting up blood for a good hour but it healed back up on its own. I wouldn't recommend waiting around though if it's severe spitting up. A buddy of mine lost about half a pint of blood when his broke and we took him in to get it stopped.

Rating of the average pain from day to day on a scale of 1-10 without pain meds is a 5 I'd say, with pain meds a 3. Depending on what your eating expect around a 6 or 7, you'll feel that bad in the morning as well. To the person who asked if you are supposed to try and eat rough stuff to break up the scabs that is false. It will break up the scabs, cause lots of bleeding and possible scarring in the back of your throat, and end up putting you back in the hospital. When I left the hospital the day after the surgery they even sent me home with a list of things to eat and in big bold letters it says DO NOT EAT ROUGH FOODS. Also avoid hot and spicy foods for obvious reasons.

Hello everyone. I am a 19 year old male, and I am on my tenth day of tonsillectomy Recovery. I wanted to share some insight.

I went to the hospital at 530 AM with my parents and my partner, and my surgery started around 8. I woke up in post op at 9 and they gave me morphine for pain, and a drug for nausea. At then they took me to the post op room where I was allowed to see my parents again. Around 11 they gave me my first dose of roxicet which was liquid percocet, and then they sent me home. The first day wasn't bad at all, but that evening when the morphine wore off the pain got really bad.

Days 2-4 were ok. Most of them were spent in a haze from the drugs, but they were bareable. I didn't really take in any food, but I did drink a lot. Day five is when the roxicet started to really upset my stomach. I had to go off of it and just take regular tylenol. On day six I went back to my parent's house from my apartment because it is true that days 5-8 ish are the worst. The scabs started to fall off, and the pain was so bad that I went back on the roxicet upset stomach and all. As the scabs start to fall off, there is a ton of mucous causing nausea, you will spit out chunks of it which is aweful, and the referred ear pain is UNBEARABLE!

By day 7 I was pretty much through the woods with the pain. Now I only really have trouble when I wake up from sleep. Oh... and the first sneeze I had after... OH MY GOSH! it was so painful.

MAKE SURE! that you have someone with you for this recovery. It is so depressing. You feel like you will never get better, and you feel like a burden because you litterally can't do anything but think of the pain.

Here are some things that helped me.

Chew gum... it helps flush the mucous and keep your throat wet.
Put Ice on your ears... it helps with the ear pain.
DO NOT take pain meds on an empty stomach... this causes nausea.
Soak in warm water... this helps you to relax.
Drink Room Temp. water... The cold water seems to be harsh on the throat.

Guys it is a REALLY rough recovery, but if you need it DO IT! It is really worth it... just have a loved one with you and take as much care as you can... good luck!