I had my tonsils removed on July 6th. Im on day 8 of recovery. For the last few days ive had this excrutiating burning sensation at the back of my throat. It doenst seem to be my tonsil area, just the far back area of my tongue. I know my doctor burned them out (not aure of that method name) and im beginning to think he made a boo boo while doing so and actually hit my tongue in some spots. Its soooo painful and everything that touches those spots burns the c**p out of em. Im on antibiotics and percocet 7.5/325, and they do nothing for me. I take 1 and 1/2 percocets along with a tylenol ES just to ease the pain for me to function properly. Im at my ends wits with this. I lost nearly ten pounds already. Im wondering when does things get better. Im getting married next month and I need to finish up planning. Plus my bridal shower is the 25th of this month. Will I be able to even attend and enjoy the festives they have planned for me. I have a huge tolerance for pain, but this is just too much. It leaves me crying like a baby whenever I dont stay on top of my pain meds every 4 hours. Any advice would be great people...thanx in advance!

OK, it is time for me to share this experience with you. I was refusing to share it with someone, but now when some time passed, I think that I can do this. Exactly one month ago I had a tonsillectomy. I was preparing for this more than 5 months. I know, maybe I am a coward but I am scared, I admit. Finally, that day has come. Look, there is a huge difference if you do this as a child or when you are an adult. Those people who told you that it is the same, it is not. As older you are, your body needs more time to heal.  You will have a throat pain and this throat pain will peak around days 7-11 when the scabs from the wound begin to fall off.  You will feel like you have pockets on the side of the throat that are wide open and something is falling out from them. Anyway, you should also expect to lose some weight and feel hungry as you will not be able to follow your normal diet. You won't have a taste, you will be hungry and you won't feel a taste. Also, you need to expect ugly breath from your mouth. Burning throat is also one of the options. It is actually a pain.

I wonder if chicken soup or sore throat lozenges may help soothe the pain.

everything burns...from the chicken broth, to plain ol water. i have to take my pain meds just to eat/drink anything. so in between im nearly dying when i take sips of water :-(

however...the throat lozenges sound very tempting. i may give them a try

hi~~ i just got my tonsils out~~ its been about 8 days for me as well..and im noticing this burning feeling at the back of my throat..i'm just wondering...did that ever subside for you?

Hi~~ i just had my tonsils removed about 8 days ago as well..and i'm just now noticing a burning feeling in the back of my throat (which is why i ended up here) I was wondering if that sensation ever subsided for you?

I had my tonsils out and my palette trimmed 8 days ago too! The burning started the evening of day 6, day 7 was worse, and today EVERYTHING burns that touches the back lower area of my tongue!!! Did either one of you find out what this was from? Did you find some way to relieve the pain? Please let me know!

Thanks!

Im on my 8th day as well, and have horrible burning pains in my throat, its scratchy and sore as well. did any of you get relief from it and how long did it take? This is driving me insane, ive cried so much these past 8 days that my head is in constant pain. i want some relief, once and for all.

im also on day 8, and have a burning sensation. I cant swallow my tablets without excruciating pain, and even sips of water make the burning sensation worse. I havent tried iced water yet, but i cant see how it would make a difference. does anyone have any answers? this is making my life miserable.

OMG! Im on day 8 too and have this severe burning on back sides of tongue and around the opening where tonsils used to be. I cant even drink water let alone eat anything. This started day 6, and yesterday (day 7) it got so bad that i ended up in ER dehydrated...Thank God for morphine....cause I finally had relief for about 12 hours. The doctor said all looked fine though...I woke up the minute the drugs wore off early this morning and now its back to same ol thing. Only time it doesnt hurt is if I do nothing....Please someone tell me what they found out about this, does it go away? is there something wrong? This is hell!!!

Hey, i had mine done Tuesday morning 7.30am! now its Saturday - so 5 days ago.
i see this was posted a little while ago... seeing i'm on day 5, i got a slight bit of bleeding today, nothing to serious, and i was eating fine yesterday and drinking fine, but today everything has gone down hill.....
very scratchy and like a burning feeling at the back of my throat.... did you guys find any way of getting rid of the pain. or is it a case of keep taking the painkillers and wait for it to heal up?
hopefully someone can help.
Thaaaankkkkk you!!!!!!

Hi, To ease your mind...your symptoms are normal.  Right after surgery the pain, and burning are not as intense as 7-8 days into it.  That's the beginning of the peak, of your pain.  The second, third, and possibly fourth weeks are the time for the pain to get intense.  It is possible to get secondary infections after surgery, ask your Surgeon/ENT for liquid Lortab, steroids to reduce the inflammation, and antibiotics.  It is best to drink only "room temperature" drinks like Gatorade (the G2's found at Wal Mart are less citrus, and more watered down, and less sweet, allowing for better tolerance.).  Any hot or cold drinks may irritate.  The key is to keep hydrated.  G2 has B vitamins, electrolytes and will keep your body hydrated.  Dry throat makes it worse, staying hydrated allows your throat to produce saliva and some needed Phlem to coat the throat.  Expect to sleep only 2-3 hours at a time, staying hydrated and medicated and calm are very important.  If your concerned, call your doctor!!!! You have the right to be involved in your own health, don't hesitate. But to ease your immediate concerns, unless your bleeding or spitting up colored phlem (such as severely yellow or green), your pain level IS normal.  There are three sets of tonsils in everyone.  Palentine (throat tonsils), Lingual (tongue tonsils) and adenoids (behind the nose, upper throat), if your ENT performed adenoid and palentine tonsilectomy recovery is (REALISTIC) 3-6 weeks.  (Not what the average ENT will tell you) but the truth.  If you had a lingual tonsilectomy, the burning in your tongue is from this procedure, they remove tissue which is part of the back of your tongue, and usually ablate (burn) to cauterize or seal off bleeding.  Your tongue is a very sensitive organ....lots of nerve tissue.  Its normal.  Relax,..... down the meds, drink room temp G2 (Gatorade), and if you can eat light soups, barely warm them.  The oils in chicken broth are medicinal for the throat, although most wont bother to explain this.  You will recover.  Watch out for bleeding (rare, like one in 500), and colored mucus (yellow, like infection, or green) and if you worry your only doing yourself harm as this slows the recovery rate, as your body is fighting the stress and is less able to heal.  Ive had the procedure myself, palentine, lingual, adenoid, ear tubes and nasal septum surgery at one time!!!!!  I work in the profession, and it is not well explained...before.  I made it, I thought  I wouldn't, but you do...you just do.  

thank you nurse by day. I'm 46. 9 days into my tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and experiencing HELL. the back of my throat and Vulva burning sensation cant drink or eat - not broth, water or gatorade. i was about to go to the ER but after reading your post I see it is normal. I will take tylenol and couple sipps of water and rest. God's Blessing on you.

Hi, I am 14 years old and i had my tonsils taken out on thursay so... im on my 6th day. i have really bad stinging at the end of my throat on my left side.... i havent eaten anything in like 12 hours and i had to force medicine down my throat....... it started stinging so much that i actually cried! my dad is telling me to go to the doctors and find out why but im not sure i need to, he thinks i might have an infection....... please help me! also, please tell me the symptons of infection...... Thanks x