hi, I'm 21, I had my tonsils out six days ago and the pain is getting worse. I've read that when scabs form the pain increases, but I dont know what these scabs are supposed to look like? The back of my throat looks like it is coated in a solid pale green substance - it will not shift no matter how much scratchy food i manage to swallow.
Is it supposed to be a pale green? I would have thought the scabs would be red/black?The pain is almost unbearable, and it does not seem to be healing. I am worried it may be infected, although it doesnt really seem to be. It just looks the same as when i first had the operation.

Please get back to me, anybody, as I am quite worried!

cheers

steph x

Hi Steph,

What you are describing is normal. The scabs are usually described as pale yellow/grey/green. The most pain is usually felt roughly between days 7-11 when the scabs begin to fall off. Most people dont realise it as it happens. The scabs certainly do not look red/black. You can see what the scabs generally look like in this photo. I would guess that your pain may get slightly worse over the coming days and will then rapidly subside. Dont forget to take your meds and drink lots of water! :)

Cheers!

I am on day 3 recovery and the whole of the back of my throat is white and green is this normal, not in much pain other than this morning....ouch!!

I just had my tonsils taken out 6 days ago... the back of my throat is all pale white.. I ate ice cream(vanilla) the 1st day !! big mistake.. my tongue is is still white !! I scrap it and only a small amount comes off.. The pain level is UNBELIVABLE !!! I should not have waited until I was 46 to have them taken out !!! It is truly more painful the older you are !! I cant wait for this to be over... part of my scabs try and come off and it makes me feel like I am choking !! This is a horrible situation !!! I have lost 14 lbs in 6 days !! Have started to stop taking medicine but from what I have just read the real pain is day 7 thru 11 !!! This is VERY DEPRESSING !!

I got mine out two days ago and my throat is also pale green I'm also worried on a scale of one to ten with ten being the worst pain I'm at probably an eight

my ENT told me I could NOT eat dairy products the first day. He said I could have Popsicles,but no ice cream until the 2nd day. I just got my tonsils out about 6 hours ago. I've already ate jello,which he also recommended. I'm not sure if my ENT just won't let me have ice cream(or dairy) because the anesthesia still hasn't wore off.

My sons just had his tonsils out Thursday. He's ent said do not let him have any dairy for 24hrs because it will make the Mucas worse.

Most likely the reason he wouldn't let you have dairy is because it coats the throat in mucus which can cause more pain. My best suggestion is to avoid most dairy and acidic drinks!

You ain't kidding I'm 56 I've never experienced this kind of pain in my life I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy my EMT is a jerk off he should have told me that I was going to go through this much c**p I was in the hospital for 2 days and went back the night I got out for pain control

I am 21 years old and am currently on day 10 of my recovery. Today is the first day I have had a reasonable amount of energy. I feel like I'm steady on the track to recovery with minimal pain and slight difficulty when eating/swallowing. The most painful days for me were experienced days 3-8. I was in EXCRUCIATING pain and even began vomiting and having severe nausea. My throat looks much like what everyone else has described: a white color with a slight pale green tint to it.

I got my tonsils removed 20 hrs ago, I am in serious pain and I'm 18 yrs old , so I could only imagine how people's older than me feel , I should've got my tonsils removed when I was a kid to not feel this kind of torture , but I'm gonna get through it it's all about patience and staying away from hard foods , citrus food and smoking . Good luck guys !

I am 51 had my tonsils out 4 days ago was eating toast second day I think people on these sites try to scare people yes it painfull but have paracetamol and ibrufen not to bad.warm tea ,coffee dunk biscuits eat as normal as possible and ice pops nice and cooling plenty of rest.

Thank you for this, I'm 22 and just had mine out about 12 hours ago and everything everyone else is posting sounds pretty scary so I hope the same goes for me as it has you

I'm 21 and had mine out five days ago. The pain was completely bareable for the first two days then the morning of day three i woke up in the worst pain of my life to the point I felt sick and threw up which was a whole other level of pain. I'm really struggling to eat anything and have lost 3 kilos since the surgery. Even liquid is extremely difficult to swallow.

hey there!

I am a 21 year old female, I had my tonsils out yesterday and i am feeling pretty normal, some slight discomfort which i can only describe as stiffness in the neck, (jaw and ears on occasion) and its a bit uncomfortable to swallow, from what i have read the third/fourth day seems to be where the pain kicks in, so i will see how i am in the morning, my throat is white yellowish colour not green is that normal? and also there is a lot of speculation about losing voice, does this happen to the majority of people during the recovery process or is it down to the individual? also if i am feeling better is it okay to leave the house before the recommended time