Maybe the pain is measurable by the age of individual, because my daughter is 8 years old and is 4 days post-op and is fine. She has been eating and drinking a lot since she got home from her surgery which was same day in and out. She went into surgery at 11:20am and we left to come home the same day at 2pm. Some times are harder than others to swallow, particularly in the morning due to dry mouth, but overall she is absolutely herself, eating, talking, playing and fighting with her 4 year old sister. We don't know what to expect when the scabs start falling off; however, we were prepared for the worst and have seen a pleasant recovery since the surgery.

I am a 34 year old who is 13 days post op - My Dr. used a heated harmonic scalpel for the operation. all in all it has been a lot better than I thought it would be after reading all the info before the operation. I had never had surgery before so - I was pretty freaked. Day one I felt very little pain - Day two is uncomfortable - the nurse said I could take ibuprophen and to tell the truth it helped way more than the liquid Tylenol w/ codine. ( here's a tip get the tylenol flavored ask your drug store Grape went down just fine)...I used my chlildren's Motrin more than the tylenol ...IT SAVED MY LIFE!!! Be prepared for ear pain I thought on day five I was over the pain but then the coating on the throat starts to come off and the nevres are pretty raw. I didn't really expect the ear pain (again the motrin was a godsend) and heating pads on the ears _ Ice on the throat Ice on the outside will help more than you can believe. My advice is The minute you get home get ice on the throat and keep it on in 20 min intervals or so 20 min on 20 min off. It really doesn't let the body have a chance to swell to a point that is unmanageable and drink drink - Propel fitness water went down great it has a bit of a sweet tase and does not sting at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat - I have had some issues with clenching my jaw in my sleep since the operation - I think it was my bodys way of dealing with the pain in my sleep. _ I am using a mouth guard at night and it has worked great. for some reason my pain has been worse at night but I timed my meds so that I could take a does at night - 20 min after the mitrin I would fall back asleep. Thank god for a supportive husband and mother --You will need help. Just stay positive - it will be depressing at times but know it will pass and in the end it will be worth it.
P.S. had a steak tonight for dinner and It was a bit sore but I was able to eat most of it :-) It will get better. Not everyone has a terrible time Hang in there :-)

I am a 34 year old who is 13 das post op - My dr. used a heated harmonic scalpel all i n all it has been a lot better than I thought it would be after reading all the info before the operation. I had never had surgery before so - I was pretty freaked. Day one I felt very little pain - Day two is uncomfortable - the nurse said I could take ibuprophen and to tell the truth it helped way more than the liquid Tylenol w/ codine. I used my chlildren's Motrin ) IT SAVED MY LIFE!!! Be prepared for ear pain I thought on day five I was over the pain but then the coating on the throat starts to come off and the nevres are pretty raw. I didn't really expect the ear pain (again the motrin was a godsend) and heating pads on the ears _ Ice on the throat Ice on the outside will help more than you can believe. My advice is The minute you get home get ice on the throat and keep it on in 20 min intervals or so 20 min on 20 min off. It really doesn't let the body have a chance to swell to a point that is unmanageable and drink drink - Propel fitness water went down great it has a bit of a sweet tase and does not sting at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat - I have had some issues with clenching my jaw in my sleep since the operation - I think it was my bodys way of dealing with the pain in my sleep. _ I am using a mouth guard at night and it has worked great. for some reason my pain has been worse at night but I timed my meds so that I could take a does at night - 20 min after the mitrin I would fall back asleep. Thank god for a supportive husband and mother --You will need help. Just stay positive - it will be depressing at times but know it will pass and in the end it will be worth it.

Before I went for my Op I had a look @ message boards and Youtube and it was the worst thing I could have done! There are so many horror stories, so if you are reading this before you're Op don't worry! It's obviously not the nicest thing in the world but it's not the worst. I am on day 7 and from day 1 I was eating and drinking. By day 2 I was eating normal food even though it took a lot longer to finish. The painkillers have been my savior, but only take them when you feel you need them. I have only taken 4 today so far out of the 8 I am aloud. It does get better. I am getting really bad ear ache and you will find it quite uncomfortable to sleep but the important thing is to remember that it's not forever! Good luck! :-) x

Day 4 after the coblation method, and I feel fine. I was smiling when I woke up from the surgery. It is about a 2 out of 10 with regards to pain. I am on tylenol with codeine, but even with out medicine, it is doable. I forgot to take it a couple of times. I ate 3 slices of pizza tonight with minimal trouble. I did put ice on my throat for a couple of days. I can't believe that I have been putting this off for so long when it has not been that big of a deal. This is so much less pain then my sore throats used to be. I am so glad that I have done it.

Now I have tons of italian ice, bags of ice, etc. that I don't know what to do with!

Please- if you need it done please don't worry to much. Just get it taken care of.

My 9 year old just had her tonsils and adenoids removed 7 days ago, shes still crying through the day when the medication is worn out. she was bleeding after surgery and needed stitches, has anyone experienced this. she had to spend the night at the hospital

My 3 year old daughter just had her tonsils/adenoids out 6 hours ago and she's doing great! So far she doesn't seem to be in any pain. They prescribed her Vicodin as needed and Amoxil. She has vomited about 6 times which they said was probably due in part to the anesthesia. But now she has eaten 2 popsicles and 1 cup of Jell-O. She still doesn't want to drink, but my husband is at the store buying Gatorade as we speak, just in case. Will post again if things change. She's sleeping now.

I just had my tonsils removed today and I am doing very well. I believe this is because I am constantly remaining hydrated. The biggest help to me was a ic shaver/ snow cone maker. I put some juic that is love in sugar with it and eat it with a spoon. This makes it easier to swallow while still getting hydration and some calories. This is great for adults and especially children because they think they are getting a snowcone while in fact that are gettting some much needed nutrients. Good LUck!!!!!

So I am also 21 and I just got my tonsils out on 8/4/09...so im on day 4 of recovery. At first it wasn't bad at all..but yesterday I started feeling really sick. I threw up a lot from the lortab. I called my doctor and he just said to stop taking it until i could get something to fix the sickness. However that means ive been off the lortab for about 24 horus..and just on some childrens liquid motrin. Im in a quite some pain, mostly my ears though. However the throat pain isnt as bad as everyone has made it out to be. Does anyone have any other suggestions or stories similar to mine? The sick feeling is terrible other wise id take the lortab!!!! Thanks!

Phenergan! it is an anti-nausea med that your doctor can prescribe! take that pill with a tiny sip of ice water. An hour after taking taking that have a light meal then take the Lortab again for pain (Lortab should only be taken WITH food). Drink plenty of liquids (the more you drink and swallow the less it will hurt). Popsicles are great they help you stay hydrated and numb your throat at the same time. Continue with the same routine: 1. Phenergan 2. light meal 3. Lortab. you'll be back to normal in no time! good luck. but then again it's been 9 days since surgery now and you're 21 years of age so worst case scenario you have 5 more healing days to go but these should definitely be MUCH easier than the last few (unless you get thrush; white coating on tongue which means bacterial infection which calls for "Nystatin" a swish and swallow antibiotic), but then again I'm not your doctor!

I just got my tonsils out 5 days ago and it's the worst pain i've ever been in. On the 3 & 4th days i was in the hospital for dehydration and pain. They gave me 2 liters of IV's with phenagrin, steriods and pain medicine. I've been drinking but everytime i swallow anything it hurts soooo bad I start to cry. I've had surgery before but I don't think it's ever hurt this much.

I am on day three after my tonsillectomy. I am 42. The pain has been relatively small. I have been keeping up on my pain meds, Hydrocodone liquid. It burns when I take it and bothers my acid reflux a little. I can still manage it I just take it in the middle of a meal. I also drink chocolate milk right after and it helps.

My first night sleep was pretty good. I slept with lots of pillows, I woke up once took more pain meds and went pretty much right back to sleep.

Last night was not as good. When I keep my mouth closed and breath through my nose I seem to be creating a vacuum that pulls my tongue into the holes in that were once my tonsils. It makes me feel like I am choking and I wake up in a panic. I had to sleep sitting up and even leaning forward so my tongue wouldn't slip down my throat. I tried looking for a snoring mouth guard at the stores and although people had heard of them no-one seems to have them. I am not even sure if this would work. So I am leery of ordering one of the internet and waiting for it to arrive if this is a short-term thing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I had my tonsils and adnoids(sp) taken out on 7/31/09 and I for one, wouldn't advise any "adult" to go through this unless it is deemed an emergency. I'm 45 years old and it was one big pain for me. The first week I couldn't drink because of the pain. I know they advise you to keep water in you to keep from gettting dehydrated, but the pain was too much for me to swallow. I didn't like the air on in my home because for some reason, that caused more pain, for me. I wasn't able to eat solids until after the 2nd week and then it was painful. My Dr. advised me to have someone home with me for about 8 days and I agree with him, if you are an adult, you will need someone home with you. Even, today, I have to make sure I have water around when I eat because it still feels like the food gets stuck in my throat while I'm attempting to swallow. I know everyone when have different reactions to this, but for me, this was a bad experience.

It seems like a lot of people have different experiences and I think that the younger someone is, the easier the surgery is. I have read about a few people who went through the same surgery but who are 20 and they were doing just fine by the second week. I'm sorry to hear it took you longer. I appreciated reading about your experiences though. Thanks!

I'm 14 years old and on December 30th of 2009 I had my tonsils taken out. I wasn't very nervous going in, even though my Dr. told me, "Wow I've never seen anything like that!". Due to how large they were I had to get a CT scan to make sure there wasn't anything more severe (tumors). Luckily, there wasn't! I went in and they gave me morphine to calm me down, put the iv in, and rolled me into the operating room. They put the mask on me and I counted to three and woke up 6 hours later with a breathing mask. I took very long to wake up out of anesthesia. Recovery was very painful at certain times and I wasn't able to eat much other than soup juice. On the the 10th day I was feeling better and my mom wanted me to try and eat potato. It went down fine but a hour later I felt weird I ran to the bathroom and starting spitting up blood 10 minutes later it stopped. Then 45 minutes later I started bleeding again but a lot worse. We rushed to the emergency room with a measuring cup full of blood. I ended up spitting up a quarter sized blood clot and had to stay over night so the doctor could see me in the morning. Staying the night with five other people including a drug addict screaming and cursing for drugs was definitely not my idealistic night in the hospital. The next morning the doctor came in the room and said I had large blood clots on the left side of my throat. I had two choices, wait to see if they went away or to have the surgery again because they didn't close me up properly. I decided to wait and the blood clots passed after five days in the hospital. Now I am perfectly healthy!