Hi All,

I'm a 23 year old male with a variety of digestive problems.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything in particular, but I'm visiting the doctors this Friday with a 'pile' of information as my ammunition. So what's been happening?

It started around March time.

Literally, 1 night after eating 2 eggs on toast, I started to feel extremely gassy and have had very soft stools.

4 months down the line I'm still experiencing these problems but slightly worst. I now have hot flushes in addition. Mucous in my stool varies from little/normal to a-lot after a "flare up". Here's a list of what I'm currently suffering from;

- No matter what I eat, my stools are always soft, light brown and normally have undigested food in them.

- I am very gassy after eating something, specifically alot of belching which causes abdominal pain. It feels like when I belch the gas escapes from my left lung? (Very strange).

- I suffer with a constant dull-ache (after eating) in random parts of my lower abdomen.

- I sometimes suffer with sudden stabbing pains again, varying from left and right hand sides, lower and upper.

- I tend to feel a lot more gassy when I have eaten Onions / Re-heated wholemeal pasta / Garlic / Apples

- There is generally undigested food stuffs within my stool, varying from onion, apple, mango, peas, sweetcorn (expected).

I'm starting to get really tiresome of this. It's embarrassing to have to leave the table literally 10 minutes after a meal because it feels that I have to go toilet.

Generally, visiting the toilet provides some relief, until the gas again builds up.

My suspicion is SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) because it really does feel like it's the gas that's giving me the problems. I'd also highly reckon it's IBS which is a shame. But at the moment, it's been practically ALL food which has caused me the above symptoms. Also, its darn odd for this all to happen after eating eggs....

Can anyone please shed some light on the symptoms I'm experiencing? I'm slightly overweight, well-built but am generally active (30 mins of exercise bike) each day and have a slightly stressful job (like most of us).

Thanks again all

Does your soft stool float in the toilet with all that is going on or does it sink to the bottom?  Just need this answered before I can give an answer to what I think might be going on and what your doctor could test for as well with his other tests.

The stool sinks to the bottom of the toilet.

Is that a problem?

No, actually that is good. If it floated it would be a sign of an internal bowel problem such as what I have; Celiac Disease. So that rules that one out at least. Do you get a lot of intestinal cramping? Does this happen all the time or right before a bowel movement?

Thanks for replying LizardQueen.

In-fact I'm actually starting to go back to normal BM's! After 6 months of this, I changed one thing in my diet. Drink a glass of water before everymeal. Now my BMs are back to being a little harder and I don't seem to be as gassy as before!

I do still have one symptom that remains however.

I do have sharp stabbing pains directly, about 1-2cm above my bellybutton. It is extremely spoardic, but most noticeably in the morning just before breakfast. I do get the odd part of heartburn as well, but again, this is really on and off. Sometimes this sharp stabbing pain radiates to my left and right rib still, so I don't think I'm 100% cured and I still get a fair amount of gas, specifically in stomach.

This therefore points me towards potentially an Stomach Ulcer? I'm not sure if anyone else can share their experiences of a Stomach Ulcer?

Maybe start a new topic on that?

This is what i have posted in a few other topics, yours seems similar to mine. I ate something, got sick, and have been suffering for like 5 months now.

Basically my wife and I got the stomach virus. She had it bad, while I had a more mild version. Last about a week or so. Then it came back, but mild. Repeat this starting in February through June 2013. So 5 months and no sign of a cure. Symptoms include the following – lightheadedness, abdominal cramping, chest pain from indigestion, indigestion, pain in right side rib cage area, air and bloating, gassy, stools from 1-4 times a day (the average being 2-3), body aches, joint aches, numbness in legs, vision seems a bit off, chills here and there, headaches, fatigue, feeling thirsty primarily afternoon through evening, and last but not least, right testicular pain (I am a man). Usually this starts off with frequent bowel movements and very frequent urination and indigestion. This will last about a day, then the frequent urination drops off. A few days of abdominal cramping and indigestion and frequent soft stools. The latter half is usually just fatigue, feeling out of it, very minor cramping if any. It can last 4 days to 3 weeks. Each time is different. I have been visiting the doctor and a GI and nothing so far. I know this is something going around hence we are all here. But what is it ?!?!? I took some antibiotics for 3 days called Rifaximin which seemed to really clear me up…. But it came back. Maybe I did not have enough antibiotics? I take probiotics daily, have been alternating both vegan and a vegetarian diet the entire time. My wife has it, I think my kids may have it but they are too young to really tell. It does not seem to be contagious.

I was tested for celiac and the test came back negative. i think there is a virus that no one knows about, going around.

Hi LizardQueen,

I was wondering how you've got on since your post on gastro problems. I am asking because your problems sound so similar to mine. I have had numerous blood tests, stool test, ultrasound (checked out pancreas, liver, gallbladder & spleen). I have also just had gastroscopy and colonoscapy which I havn't got result back on yet, but surgeon said it looked like a have mild gastritis but hasalso done biopsies anyway. I too have been getting stabbing pains which first started under left rib, then spread to right rib around belly button and lower abdominal pain. I'm assuming some sort of gas pain?!! I have also been belching ALOT and sometimes feel nauseas with a slight furry feeling over my mouth. Have you got any answers to your problem yet? My symptoms have been going on now for about 2 1/2 months and am OVER IT!!