My 13 month old son has been having orange colored soft stools with mucus in it for about a month. I was wondering what could be the cause? He has it 2-8 times daily. His doc thought it might be a milk allergy we switched him to lactaid and still had the same problem and now he is on soy milk but the problem continues. His doctor has no idea what it could possibly be.

We are having the EXACT same probl;em with my 2.5 year old. Removed all milk, including whey, casein, and it still happens about every three days. I'm investigatin and oil thing, as it seems to happen after he has the junky processed Peanut buter, and any sort of fried food, like sweet potato fries he had last night. Hope you get answers quick!
_ella

I believe that sometimes IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) sometimes presents like symptoms. You might see if there is any pain or cramping associated with this (other key components of IBS). Hope this helps.

I'm 20 and I am having the same problem, it started over a week ago. It happened very quickly, not a progression. I'm having to run to the bathroom atleast 5 times a day. Some days it seems to get better and other days it gets worse. I also thought it may be a milk allergy but I've since switched to lactose free milk and there hasn't been much change. I'm interested to see if you have any more information about allergies

I am 21 years old and have the exact same problem ,,though mine may be worse than explained here my mucus is way thicker than normal and stringy also, my stool is soft,and oddly enough the same in shape, slightly orange colored with mucus in it, my stomach is at complete unrest and now its been about five months, ive done stool tests, urine tests and blood tests, and they continue to tell me nothing is wrong, but symptoms have not changed, I've cut fast food, Caffiene , beef and anything with a large amount of sugar from my dietand have been eating large amounts of fiber every morning for quite some time now and nothing is getting better, though not getting worse, seems to be staying about the same. Please if you have any answers i cant live feeling this unhealthy. i have a doctors appointment tomorrow and can only ask they run more tests ..ill keep all you sufferers updated on the results in hopes i can help at least one of you out there...

For those of you who are over 20 yrs old, you should probably see a GI specialist, and possibly get a colinoscopy. You do not want to mess around with having blood in your stool as it could be something as serious as colon cancer or something as treatable as an ulcer or hemorroids. Either way, seeing a GI could help you get to the root of the problem right away. Blood and urine tests can't only show so much.

Guest wrote:

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, and is really not a diagnosis itself. It basically describes a constellation of symptoms that are cause by something else. Just FYI.