A couple weeks ago, I had a very wide stool that was extremely difficult to pass. I was straining until I was red in the face and was in quite a bit of pain, and I didn't found out until later that this was a bad idea. Now for the last couple of weeks, I've had wide, very chunky stools which are difficult to pass but not nearly as difficult as before, possibly due to increasing my fiber and water intake after the ordeal. There is a very small amount of dark red blood in them. The interesting thing is that only the first four inches or so are wide and "chunky sausage" shaped, and then the rest are soft and easy to pass. I've only been going every three days or so.

I've been drinking a lot of milk recently, by the way. Could this have something to do with it? Could it be something serious? Should I see a doctor?

Thanks.

Hi! I know how bad this can be %-) I read that adults can't digest milk as well as children can, so hard stool and constipation problem could be related to milk consumption. Some people experience stomach pains, diarrhea, bloating or gas after drinking milk because they don’t have enough of the lactose enzyme to breakdown all the lactose they consume. So try not to drink milk for a while and see if it gets better. I usually drink senna tea when I'm constipated, it works great for me. You can find it in your pharmacy, sometimes I even find it in the grocery store. But it is not recommended for daily use since it can be quite aggressive. I felt it once :-( I hope this helps.