My 2 month old son has had infrequent mucousy stools for about three weeks. Not to get too graphic, but they occur about every 2-3 days, range in color from an orangish yellow to green and are very slimy in consistency.

My 2 1/2 year old had a dairy/ egg/ peanut allergy that was diagnosed when he was about 2 months old. He had frequent bloody stools along with fussiness, eczema.

My two month old does not have any other symptoms of a dairy allergy aside from the mucousy stools; however, given our history, I have eliminated dairy from my diet for the past week. There has been no change in his stool since the elimination of dairy. Should I continue the elimination diet? Is there any other cause of mucous in an infant's stool?

Did you ever find out what was causing your infant's mucusy stools? My 5 month old has the same problem and I have tried the dairy free diet with no change as well.

I was hoping to find some useful information here. My daughter has the mucosy stool too. I have eliminated dairy and soy for three weeks now and have not seen a change in her stool, however her eczema is much better. Did either of you find out anything useful?

i know this post is months old - but in case someone else is searching for answers in the future (I know I exhausted every possible google search for mucous/bloody diapers, allergy, etc.) My 3 month old has had mucousy diapers off & on for nearly 2 months - for about a 2 week span he'd have a streak of blood in his diaper too. We had regular, frequent pediatrician appts to check his weight, etc. The pedi wanted me to start him on allimentum or nutramigen for a cow's milk protein allergy...but i had eliminated dairy from my diet for nearly 3 weeks and he was still having the problems. (I've read lots of places that it can take up to 3 weeks for the protein to clear your body and not pass along to the baby...so try the elim diet at least that long before giving up). Apparently it's very rare for an infant to truly be lactose intolerant. I finally found a lactation consultant at the hospital who said our problem was my oversupply of b'milk! I had been feeding off 1 side at ea feeding so that he'd get more hindmilk (and thus furthering my oversupply by stimulating breast for up to 40min at a feeding). She recommended that I lay down flat on my back on the bed or couch & let him lay on top of me like a turtle to nurse. Not easy to do at first but he was almost to the point of being able to hold up his head...and now it's SO much easier that he can. Within 48 hours, he was a NEW baby! Happier, less gassy, less crying/screaming, tummy less distended, smiling/laughing/cooing. The change was unbelievable! By laying flat on my back, the foremilk and hind milk had a better chance of mixing due to gravity. When I used to sit up to nurse, he'd get a flood of foremilk w/o even having to work for it. Another tip from the LC, latch & unlatch several times once milk let down happens. This lets the foremilk run back into breast & pick up more fat milk. Hope this helps someone else. I know I spent almost 3 months straight of sleepless nights & days - looking online, calling anyone & everyone for help, worrying about my lil one. We're definitely on the track to a healthier digestive system now! (I also took probiotics to balance my system - not sure if they helped but certainly didn't hurt. Used the refrigerated kind w/ live bacteria)

The LC recomm that I nurse him until each breast felt empty & nurse on BOTH SIDES from now on. Sorry, forgot to write that in initial reply! I think this new way has greatly improved my oversupply problems. I still can't sleep all the way through the night w/o having to get up & hand express a little for relief...but I'm only getting up once & it's WAY better than it was.

Hi there,

thanks for sharing your experience with us, it helped my baby a lot!! . I have a beautiful 2 months old baby girl and she had exactly the same symptoms since she was born, such as mucous, green color diarrhea, crampy gases, loose stool, vomiting!No blood in the stool , but always green, when ever she wakes up it was a torture for both of us! I started feeding her laying on my back, and results showed in about 3 days. We get now pure yellow, normal stool, no crampy gases, she actually started smiling a lot. What a relief, thanks a lot!!!!! :D

I can't wait to try this.. My little munchkin has been getting diarrhea for a week now and it's been so stressful! I def know I have an oversupply as when baby goes to nurse it's like the hind milk just gushes into her mouth. I can't wait to try this laying down... should be interesting... and seeing if it works.. *fingers crossed* will let everyone know the out come. :-D

This sounds exactly like what my little one is going through... just wondering if any of you also bottle feed the baby with breast milk? I'm going back to work soon and I occasionally feed him my milk with a bottle and he seems not to be as fussy or have as many issues during a feeding when he eats from the bottle. I do notice sometimes that when my breasts are really full, he's gasping and swallowing large amounts which causes even more gas and burping....Thanks so much for posting this and the response - I have also been searching and searching for an answer as well as spending a lot of time at the pediatrician's office

Thanks so much for posting your experience. My two-week old daughter has been having mucus in her stool for several days now and I've just started down the path of frustration with our Pediatrician. I have the same oversupply issues - she gets too much milk too fast and coughs/spits up frequently. I heard about feeding on the back, but thought I could just sit up a little straighter instead, since she's so young and still has difficulty holding her head up well. Now, I plan to try it anyway. Anything to help end the fussy nights and crying after she eats. Thanks again!

I'm sorry, but I don't get how you nurse laying down??? I tried it (my son is 3 months old) and it was like he couldnt breathe!! Can you be more descriptive?

It took me a while to figure how to nurse lying down also. It seemed my breast was covering her nose. I take my opposite hand (the one I'm not lying on) and push the skin from my breast down so it doesn't cover her nose. I also sometimes push a pillow up behind her to help support her on her side a bit.

Hi. I have a7 week old that is also having mucous in her poop. It has ranged in color from an orangish yellow to green. She has been extremely fussy and i can tell her stomach is bothering her. Doctor told me to eliminate dairy and soy but it has not been long enough to tell yet. She had a heart procedure done when she was born and stayed in the NICU for a week and a half. I could never get her back to breast and nursing efficently after being bottle fed in nicu. I have however always pumped and she has only ever had breast milk. I definitely produce more than she currently eats. I am assuming the oversupply issue would effect me since the fore milk and hind milk should be mixed in the bottle. Is this right. Any information would be appreciated for this stressed out new mom.

My 3 month old has had mucousy diarrhea for 3 weeks now. Before that he was the baby who never pooped (up to 5 days!) I thought it was an infection he got from traveling but the doctors cultured and did not find anything so no antibiotics. the gastroenterologist said to try the dairy-free diet, but after a week there is no improvement. Horrible, gassy, explosive diarrhea. I already breast feed lying down half the time and he still gets it (my nanny gives him bottles of expressed breast milk and hypoallergenic formula, with no improvement as well). So I keep thinking he has some bacteria they didn't catch. I asked for antibiotics -- to at least try them -- but no success getting them from the pediatrician yet. I read this article that said:

"Most cases of diarrhea are due to viruses and antibiotics are not required. Antibiotics should only be given under the following conditions with advice of your doctor:

* Age below 3 months
* High fever with toxemia
* Evidence of infection elsewhere e.g. pneumonia
* Weakness and malnutrition
* Prolonged diarrhea (more than 3 or 4 days)
* Bacillary dysentery (with blood and/or mucus in stool)"

My son started with this diarrhea under 3 months (he is now 3 months), has had it more than 4 days, and has the mucous, so I really think the antibiotics are worth a shot!!

Laura

My 3 month old daughter had mucousy poo for a few weeks and used to get cramps. She really seemed upset everytime she tried to poo and it seemed to really be a battle for her. Obviously trying to push out sticky mucous isn't easy.. Her skin was also quite dry, nearly as bad as eczema. As she is breastfed, I worked out that she reacted whenever I ate chocolate and wheat/gluten. Since I've stopped eating those things, she has been much better, having less mucous in her poo, and sleeping alot more! I am suspecting she has Irritable bowel syndrome but it is not yet diagnosed. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for posting this! I have tried so much to try to help my baby have normal stools and nothing has helped. I do have over supply and will try this method you posted. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience to help others. God bless!