Hello!

I am so glad to have found this forum!  I am a 25 year old healthy female.  I had my tonsils and adenoids removed earlier this week on Monday January 30.  I would like to post my experience so it hopefully helps others.  I was told all the horror stories about the pain and how it is awful to have the procedure done as an adult.  Well, I lived to tell the tale and so will you!

I went in that morning and all went well.  I did not eat or drink anything the day prior.  They got the IV in me with no problems and before I knew it, I was waking up in the recovery room sucking on a popsicle.  My ENT sent me home the same day with a large bottle of Roxicet and pink bubblegum flavored amoxicillin.  The key is to keep up on your painkillers every few hours.  Don't even give the pain a chance to return.  Also, drink lots of water.  When I first wake up in the morning, the pain is so bad that I can barely swallow the Roxicet.  Once the Roxicet kicks in after 20 minutes I will then proceed to drink water and eat soft food.  I have been eating chicken broth, mashed potatoes, and jello.   I have also lost 11 pounds, which for me is great!

I have an awful taste in my mouth at all times and no matter what I eat, it makes it taste gross.  I brush my teeth constantly and I gargle with the solution the doctor gave me.  I have some ear pain but the Roxicet takes care of it.  I feel great otherwise.  I sleep well. Keep your head elevated, that really helps.  I drove around locally today and took care of some errands.  The Roxicet will make you nauseous on an empty stomach but it's manageable.  Also, take Miralax as Roxicet will constipate you.

I try to walk around during the day.  Sometimes I go outside and walk around in the yard, just to get fresh air and keep my body going.

Any questions please feel free to ask and I will be glad to share   :)

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your surgery.

My daughter is facing the same surgery now and is a bit apprehensive (surgeon told her yesterday it would be very very painful). Now that you have had it done, do you get fewer infections?  Do you find it has improved your health overall?  Did you get a second opinion?  What did your doctor try before recommending surgery?

Also anything that you did to prepare ahead of time to build up your immune system before the surgery?

Thank you for all the information and tips!

Ann

Hi Ann, I can definitely understand your daughter's concerns. I suffered from frequent ear & throat infections as a child and as a young adult. I was always prescribed antibiotics, but as I grew older, the antibiotics made me feel worse...mainly they caused stomach problems and interfered with other prescriptions (birth control.) I did seek out multiple opinions. I have not had a single infection since the surgery. It's wonderful. I have seasonal allergies (nasal congestion, etc) which I still suffer from, but my throat is no longer affected the way it used to be from the allergies. My health is very much improved. I am told that I no longer snore, and my sinus/allergy issues remain sinus/allergy issues, instead of turning into throat & ear infections like they used to. As far as anything to build up my immune system, my doctor recommended that I take a probiotic supplement daily....one that includes vitamin C and "flora" bacteria. This would help balance out the effects of the antibiotics, and hopefully prevent a yeast infection.

I'm not sure what your daughter's pain tolerance is like. I'm guessing they warned her that she will be in a lot of pain after the surgery. I will honestly tell you that it was not that bad for me. It was more of a dull pain than a sharp pain. As long as the pain medication is taken every few hours, she will be fine. They tell you to drink water like it's going away forever....drinking water is painful, but once she takes the dose of pain medication, depending on what it is, it should take effect pretty quickly. I had no complications and followed all the doctor's advice....eating only very soft foods....I lived on chicken broth and yogurt for a month. I did lose weight initially because my body was in starvation mode, so I gained the weight back once I started eating again (unfortunately, but the weight loss was great while it lasted!!!)

I will say that the most bothersome thing was the loss of my taste buds. For nearly a month everything I tried...water...yogurt...anything, it all tasted awful to the point where I would spit it out. The doctor said this is because the nerves/taste buds at the back of the tongue and throat get burned away during the procedure. He assured me that they will come back and he was correct. I'm just letting you know because it was a very miserable month when everything I ate or drank tasted awful. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask....best wishes to your daughter!! -Sarah

sarah85 wrote:

Sarah, I can't begin to tell you how helpful you have been! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience as I was glad to hear your health has been much improved after this -what a blessing! She has been having more problems since she moved to a different apartment and am wondering if there is something in the air that might be affecting her so am going to try to rule that out while I visit her. She has a pretty high pain tolerance so I think she will be fine from the sounds of it but will remember your recommendation to make sure to take the pain meds on time so you try to stay as comfortable as possible. I've read on a few sights that the 3rd - 7th or 8th day can be the more challenging ones, of course, everyone is different. Interesting note about the taste buds. We will ask her surgeon next week. Appreciate that information so if it happens, we will know it is going to get better! If you love food, this would be difficult! But it too, shall pass. At any point did you look at your diet? I was listening to some health shows and they were recommending eliminating dairy and most any food item connected to sugars to improve allergies. (bread, pasta, white flour products, pastries) The show commentators said they lead to inflammation which can aggravate sinus/allergy situations. I guess it is something to consider. We were thinking of going to a nutritionist once healed from surgery. She obtained two surgeons opinions and has opted to go with the more conservative of the two doctors. So fingers crossed, all will go smoothly. After the surgery did you have to gargle with any solution? I've also read brushing your teeth helps as the tissue heals as it can not be too pleasant of a taste in one's mouth. Thanks for the tips on Vit C and probiotics, I am a big believer in the probiotics for prevention of yeast infections. I am so grateful for all your feedback and so glad you have done so well after your operation! It is a positive outcome and I can see you are happy having gotten through to the other end! Thanks for your wishes and wishing you the best with your continued great health! Ann

Sarah, one more question:

Did you have any kind of fever, low-grade or otherwise?

Ann

Ann, In regards to the fever...post-op I don't believe I had a fever of any sort. Prior to the surgery I would almost always have a fever along with the infection. I was never asked about my diet...but who knows, dairy & carbs could very well aggravate sinus issues/allergies...I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case! I did brush my teeth very frequently. My Dr told me not to use a typical mouthwash (Scope, Listerine, etc) instead there is a gargle rinse available by prescription only.... I did not experience the "oral thrush" but I was warned that it was a possibility. In that event they would prescribe the prescription gargle rinse...

In regards to allergies I can tell you that I was very sensitive to dust and cigarette smoke, so those things definitely aggravated my sinuses. I was prescribed Zyrtec but I do not take it as it makes me drowsy. Probiotics are great...I continue to take them everyday and have noticed a real improvement in my digestive system. Has your daughter been under general anesthesia before? This was my first surgery. I will give you some information on my experience in case this is her first time under anesthesia. It was very easy. They literally gave me the sedative and the next thing I know, I woke up in the recovery room. I immediately felt nauseous and proceeded to vomit on and off for about 5 minutes. I am told this is perfectly normal. I felt "out of it" but not too bad...I knew who and where I was, and within a few hours I was completely coherent. The medications may make her nauseous. I was very nauseous because I was taking them on an empty stomach. Even though it hurts, if she can take her medications with yogurt, jello, or something similar, it may help to avoid the nausea. I can handle pain but I am a real wimp when it comes to nausea....so it's something I'm very conscious of. Any additional questions or if I can clarify anything I've said please feel free! -Sarah

Sarah,

Thanks for all the wonderful tips! She was under general anesthesia 10 years ago with a knee operation. She had bad reactions to post-op pain medication (oxycontin) which her doctor combined with Toradol and another pain med. Even the pharmacist questioned the doctor's prescription of this combination and it was a very bad experience. Hopefully this experience will be more positive. Will make sure she tries to eat while she takes the meds like you recommended.

Do you recommend any particular brand of probiotics? I have heard of Jarrow but since you are so happy with yours, I was wondering which brand you chose.

I think that is about it for now! Again, many thanks for all your help and will drop you a quick note to let you know how we made out post-surgery.

All the best! Ann

I take the "Align" brand of probiotics....CVS also carries their own generic brand....all the same ingredients just slightly less $$$...yes please post how she does after the procedure! -Sarah

I have heard about "align" but I haven't taken it. My doctor hasn't prescribed this medicine for me even if I was sure that he will. Instead of this one, he prescribed an Acetaminophen. Yes, I am aware that this is a medicine that is used to decrease your child's pain and fever, but it seems to be really helpful once your tonsils and adenoids are removed . I can say that I felt much better after 5 to 6 days approximately. So, don't be surprised if your doctor offers you this medicine at some point, from my own experience I know that it helps. 

Hi Ann & Sarah,

I'm at day 6 after tonsillectomy, surfing the net because I can't sleep.  I'm 27 and have had tonsillitis or some level of throat infection practically every time I got a cold.  I was told at my pre-op consultation that I'd have to stay overnight for observation after surgery as i have sleep apnea, and it was a relief to have a nurse nearby just-in-case. 

I woke up in the recovery ward where they assessed pain levels - for me only about a 4 out of 10 as the anaesthetic was still in my system. They sent me up to the ward and I napped on and off through the afternoon & night.  The dinner ladies came by and asked if I wanted to eat, which I didn't.  The nurses gave me a mouthwash to gargle every few hours and only gave painkillers (liquid panadol) when I asked. 

When the doctors did their rounds in the morning they chided me for not eating dinner, which I think was a bit silly as nobody had told me that I had to eat.  Doc said that eating helps to clean the wound area - in fact the hospital recommended eating a diet including rough foods such as 'salty crisps' rather than just soft foods.  Ironically I ate the hospital-provided breakfast to show the doctors how obedient I could be, which included a little tub of orange juice - when I got home and read the pamphlet on foods to eat or aviod, it specifically said to avoid orange juice or other highly acidic foods/drinks.

Days 1-3 were fine with regular painkillers.  I vomited once as soon as I got home, and experienced no fever. I actually found the over-the-counter stuff to be just as effective as the codine tablets provided by the hospital.  I ate a nearly normal diet, though admittedly much smaller portion sizes than normal, including cold & warm meals (but no hot temperature/spciy foods).

Days 4-6 have been a different story.  I haven't slept more than an hour or two each night for the past couple of days - its 1am now.  My throat gets so dry from snoring due to the swelling that I wake up from the pain and can't get back to sleep.  I have gone back to eating soft foods, ice chips, and sipping at liquid panadol (in cordial). I'm combining this with the perscribed mouthwash, as well as gargling with salty water, and taking a pro-biotic morning & night.  I'm getting almost more pain in my ear & jaw than in my throat at the moment, which was a bit unexpected.  Another thing I wasn't anticipating was feeling unsafe when driving - I had to take back roads and avoid the freeways.

I had originally planned to go back to work after a week, but the doctor advised me to wait another 5 days, which suits me now I know what it feels like.  I have been unable to speak above a whisper, so I'm using my laptop's speech function to communicate anything more complicated than simple sign-language.   While I think I"m doing okay pain-wise compared to other people I've heard about, it's a truly awful experience and definitely not an operation I would have chosen to get done unless it was absolutely necessary.  Given that, I am looking forward to years without tonsillitis!!

I hope your daughter has a safe surgery & speedy recovery :-)

potato7 wrote:

Hi Ann & Sarah,

Dear Sarah and Potato7,

Just wanted to let you both know that Ashley just got out of recovery from her adenoidectomy and besides some nausea, all went well so far. They do tests on the tissue samples so those results will come back in about 5 days.

Will post on her progress in the hopes that too, it may help someone down the line as you both have.

Hope you both are well and thanks again for sharing your journey!

All the best,

Ann

Hi Ann

Good luck with the recovery.  I started back at work on Monday - probably a week too soon, but it's been good to be out of the house!

I bet you felt cooped up! Glad your recovery went well and you are getting back to work, always a good feeling!
Day Two - so far so good. Nausea has subsided. She's just watching movies. Pain killers (Percoset) keeping her comfortable - will see how week progresses. Hope that long term your surgery keeps you healthier!
All the best, Ann