hello..im a new person on here so bear with me if i post this in wrong place.
my daughter who is 16 fell over in january of this year...after 4 weeks of docs telling her to walk on her foot..they realised she had a lisfranc dislocation and 2 breaks to the first and second met. They put a screw in and 6 months later removed it. As she was still in alot of pain we went back to hospital she had xray and mri..docs say she has arthritus in the 1st and 2nd met and a spur has appeared. ok..she is sceduled to have a cortisone injection under general anaesthetic and awaiting the appointment. Will that help alot and for how long? He has mentioned about a fusion to the foot but has told us that it is a long recovery period..perhaps as she is still so young with perhaps years of problems this would be a good option or not. I want to make the best decision for my daughter..this year has been pretty hellish for her. Her shoulders are not strong (sublux through extreme hypermobility which she has in most of her joints) she was in a wheelchair for four months after lifranc op and doesnt want to be in it again.
Any advise would be great..hopei havent rambled on too much..just very frustrated for her. thanks in advance

I had a similar situation after my lisfranc injury, i now have arthritus and have been told that fusion is my only option left. In my case (this may be different for different people of course) i will be having mid foot fusion and they dig out the affected bone, take a bone graft from elsewhere and pack this bone into the area and i will have screws and then a plate over the area. I have had cortisone injections too and they were administered along with some anaesthetic to try to take away the pain and also as a diagnostic process to double check they are working in the right place with the surgery. I am not sure whether the cortisone is supposed to be permanent but it certainly hasnt been for me and i have had this done twice in different areas of the foot. The fusion recovery, i have been told, is quite long but also that with the arthritus pain it may be my only option but my surgeon thinks that at 26 i am very young to be having it done.

I do hope all goes well for your daughter

thanks for your reply sarah. yes you are young (bit older than my daughter tho..lol) but isnt it such a shame that you have this awful pain when you should be out, dancing, wearing heals etc. It is a very big decision to make. my daughter is in so much pain this evening i just wish it was a straight forward injury. she is still waiting for appointment for injection but realises that it is only a temp pain block. I think like you she feels she just wants to get this fusion so she can be out of pain at some point in her life..she is coming up for important exams and university in a couple of years and it worries her how she will cope with all of it. let me know how you get on and your decison whether to go ahead with the fusion.

**edited by moderator**

Well, i am due for my fusion next month and after hearing from people on these boards i feel much less anxious about it. One of my doctors had given me the worst case senario and i must admit it did make me think if i could manage without it but i realise just managing for someone of my age is not good enough and i bet your daughter would feel similarly as she is so much younger again. I had the initial injury whilst away in university in another country and i managed to complete my degree and i have just completed my masters with this injury so it can definitely be done, the hardest part was seeing the other people on the course go about normally and easily and not being able to do the same. Your daughter will have alot to deal with at the same time as her exams but if anything it could be quite character building for her and she will have made such an achievement by getting through her exams at the same time as dealing with all the medical appointments etc.

thanks for the advise sarah, have read your messages to my daughter and we both wish you lots of luck with your fusion. well done in your great education achievements, it just shows what can be achieved whilst dealing with alot of pain etc.

My heart really goes out to all of you who have to go through this. I'm also glad to hear that some of you are now less anxious about it too. Sarah.N how are you doing? Did you get your surgery done? How are you recovering?