i am on my 3rd day after having my tonsils removed i have not been able to sleep properly since having the operation i woke up this morning at around about 07.30 a.m after getting very little sleep due to having a funny / weird feeling in the back of my throat making it feel like i want to vomit and am choking luckily enough so far no sign of any blood only a little bit on the Friday morning when i woke up from my operation this is the first real pain i have experienced since having tonsillitis infections i am on 2 500 mg paracetamol caplets and 1 400 mg ibuprofen tablet every 4 hours i have read 2 other peoples posts about putting ice on your neck to help reduce the swelling, i am sitting here as i type with ice on my neck i do hope this is going to help when i went to the hospital for my premed my sister nurse did tell me that i was going to be in pain for at least the 1st week of having my tonsillectomy i do hope she was right because i have still got another 4 more days until the week is up but the pain must go on for longer because i have to be taking the 2 500 mg paracetamol caplets for 10 days but only take the 1 400 mg ibuprofen tablets for 7 days every 4 hours. the following Friday morning i managed to eat 5 spoonfuls of rice Crispies and half a slice of toast with blackcurrant jam and i sipped on a quarter of a cup of tea for my breakfast i am thinking this is the first real pain i have experienced since waking up in the recovery ward because i was given 3 doses of morphine through my drip and at 5.20 a.m on the Friday morning i was given another small dose of liquid morphine to ease the pain. Does any one else know of any thing i can take or use that is going to ease my pain even more and even help me sleep properly for a full night

many thanks

The key to healing with a post-operative tonsillectomy is hydration. Moist healing is always encouraged over dry healing and never was this more accurate than in a tonsillectomy patient. Despite the pain of swallowing, in a tonsillectomy, the only way to keep that vicious sore throat under control is to drink plenty of water.

It hurts to swallow, but water and fluid will reduce the pain, keep the throat moist and actually reduce recovery time.

Typically a post-operative tonsillectomy patient will be prescribed strong pain medication and an anti-biotic. Pain medication should be taken with food or milk, and never on an empty stomach. Give the tonsillectomy patient some warm broth, thin mashed potatoes, Carnation Instant Breakfast, cooked rice, Jell-O, a Popsicle, pudding or sherbet before administering pain medication.

Tonsillectomy follow-up care in times past stressed that patients should avoid milk and dairy products to avoid mucus build up. This traditional wisdom is not part of modern tonsillectomy protocol. MayoClinic says that no link has been found between increased mucus production and consumption of dairy products. Creamy milk products may be more difficult for the patient to swallow, however. Post-operative tonsil patients are encouraged to choose more nourishing dairy products like yogurt and kefir, which are high in protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber and low in fat. Yogurt also contains acidophulus which helps the body fight off the detrimental effects of anti-biotics.

Post-operative tonsillectomy follow-up does warn patients to avoid hard foods and foods with sharp edges. If you are caring for or recovering from a tonsillectomy, you will hear the inevitable stories about 'so and so' who ate potato chips and had no trouble. Ignore this and stick to soft foods. 'Can do' and 'should do' are not the same thing.

It is also recommended that post-operative tonsillectomy patients be given Popsicles to soothe a sore throat. This is good advice. Warm foods like soup and broth also soothe a sore throat, but be sure to keep the food from getting too hot. Because the throat is raw, avoid spicy and acidic foods that will aggravate the throat.

Gargle with warm salt water. A saline flush helps to clean and health the open wounds in the throat. Applying an ice pack to reduce swelling helps, also.