I have tonsil stones since i been a child and the mouth smell is gross. Ive tried all kind of methods to get rid of tonsil stones but nothing works. So i went to the doctor and asked him if i can remove it they sad no because my tonsils are healthy and there tiny, what can i do to get them removed?

it can bee removed,infact bad bread coz of it is an indication for tonsilectomy..if there are no contraindications u can get it removed...

The only way a doctor will remove your tonsils is if you suffer from several bouts of infected tonsils, sore throats, and infections several time during a one year period. Those "tonsil stones" that you refer to are nothing but pieces of phlegm that get stuck in the back of your throat and become hard and when we "hack" them up, they look like little round mini chi chi beans. I know they stink, but because you have healthy tonsils, the doctor won't take them out now.

I don't know why you would want to get your tonsils out unless you had very painful problems... trust me!

If you aren't having a lot of problems with your tonsils the doctors would perfer to leave them in as the older you are the more difficult the surgery becomes especially for an adult. I had my tonsils removed as an adult it was the most painful thing i've ever had done and requires more time to recover. Also you have a higher risk of complications durring recovery for example a week after my surgery I started bleeding in the night and nearly died due to it and spent nearly a week in the hospital recovering from it. If the only issue is bad breath I would say the surgery is not worth it!

Just so you all know. Tonsils stones are not peices of phlem in your throat, and unless you deal with them yourself you really dont know how awful it is. I have dealt with them all my life, and now one of my children gets them. They are a horrific experience. Even dislodging them from your tonsil crevices (not your throat) can be an awful, gagging, and an annoying experience. People dont know this, but tonsil stones are the number one casue of bad breath. My daughter gets made fun of for her breath, and has to remove them all the time. Taking her tonsils out would alleviate this issue. Every adult I know has their tonsils out, and they are just fine. So, unless you knowe first hand, about it, you should probably not reply. The answer to your question is that doctors are afraid of getting sued, because if something happens during surgery they are to blame if the reason doesnt meet "standards". Unfortunatley people are always after money, ad sue docs all the time.

I looked it up and tonsil stones are globs of mucus. Read your own facts before you post instead of telling others that

that was over a year ago who cares

tonsil stones are pieces of food that calcify in tonsil crypts, not mucus. Tonsiliths are hard and can sometimes be painful.

Dead cells, mucus and food HARDEN in the crannies of your tonsils. They can even form where you can't see them. It smells absolutely foul and you aren't in any place to undermine someone else's problem without even seeing the severity of ones problem. I get them and need to go to walk ins to get them removed. The feeling is similar to having old food Come unstuck from your braces except you can't spit it out or swallow it. That's a very uncomfortable feeling and for me it causes a lot of stress and makes me dry heave. It scrapes your throat when you swallow as well which is painful. Just knowing that you're constantly swallowing with calcified food, mucus and dead cells is cringe worthy for anyone who deals with them regularly.

Hi, Just wanted to post a reply that adds a little more insight into the thread. I've had tonsil stones for a few years, and have begun experiencing tonsil flare ups just within the last two. There are horrific pictures online, but my flare up was less obvious. When your tonsil is inflamed (flare up), which could be triggered by a tonsil stone (tonsiliths), allergy, or even a side effect of a upper respiratory infection (even if treated with antibiotics), there are a few things that can happen. Of course, the inflammation itself can cause the crypts to be more visible, which in turn makes it easier to produce more stones - not always caused by "dairy" or "sweets" and so the flare up lasts a long time. Perhaps the most significant issue is partially blocked airways (due to inflamed irritated ulcerated throat from coughing and adenoids), and incredible nerve pain akin to having your tooth removed and/or ear infection. While recovery is just plain awful, reoccurring flare ups and risk that bacteria aspirate into your lungs causing other more serious infections (of lung or heart) makes them a good idea, or at least worth considering depending on your severity and willingness to tolerate excruciating unrelenting pain for two weeks (the pain killers dull the pain but do not provide relief). For me, it was a risk of not breathing, which made it easier.

I have stones and my life is horrible beacuse of it. I have become the center of all jokes now. It''s pretty depressing actually. Nobody wants to sit next to me. People laugh, giggle and cover their noses when they think i'm not looking.I get most embarrsed around my BF . I guess he is use to it (my bad breath) but when hes around other people he joins in on the secret jokes. My kids won't talk close to me and that also breaks my heart. I feel as if i cant be loved. I went to a party when I was about 20 years old. At the time I was unaware of how bad my breath actually was. I met a couple of people sat down and then somebody who I had just met came back with more people to basically to stare and try to get a wift of my bad breath. Even herd one of them say she looks like she has bad breath. Horrrible! My doctor thinks im crazy and only refered me to a psychiatrist,not an Ears, nose and throat doctor. I want a tonselctomy so bad but Kaiser will not do this unless I have re occuring strep throat. Somebody please help me. I am so depressed having suicidal thoughts almost every day now.

you can pop them out yourself! I use the flashlight on the end of my iphone, shine it to my back of my mouth, and use a qtip to push around the tonsil. they will pop out. After, use some salt and warm water, gargle with it a couple times through the day and the salt will kill the bacteria that is causing bad breath. There are tools you can order online for cheap to take them out yourself :)

Um.. get your facts right mate cause you clearly dont know what its like.. its not just a so called "bit of mucus* ... im sick of living with tonsil stones as mine affect my anxiety.. my depression.. my relationship and are just extreamly painfull.. i cant push mine out withought making it worse and they bleed... and its not just mucus... it can be food particles which have got stuck and are basically rotting..they are fowl and have affected me ever having a carreer in singing aswell as making me tired and effecting my sinuses and teeth which make it uncomfortable to sleep. Then when you get ill.. it makes your throat ten times worse and it goes straight onto your chest which effects your lungs which if reoccuring frequently the symptoms from that can effect your airways and your heart.. im terrified to have them out... ive asked for over 10 years and get told they rather not remove them.. i wanted them removed BEFORE i got older.. but due to the doctors ignorance its now too late... and its just got worse... right now im thinking f*** the week of agaony... i would rather go through that than a lifetime of pain and ilness caused by something that could be removed in an hour. Quite frankly I am sick of tonsils that clearly do not work properly and cause me pain.. just because the doctor thinks they are small and just abit red they dont want to take them out.. well i have just booked an apointment and im demanding they be removed. Its not the first time my doctors have been wrong... you know how your own body feels and you know when something need to be done. I think that bit of pain will be well worth it.

Hi I'm in the same boat as you and was just wondering how your getting along ?