I'm running my first 5k in a few weeks and I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who is an avid runner. I'm 6'4 310lbs but I've been a fairly strong runner since High School. I can run 5k on a treadmill in 30min no sweat, but when I run outdoors I'm quickly reminded of my size. For all of you smaller humans the pavement is brutal on us 300lbs runners(all 3 of us). I think the best thing I could do to improve my running is just cut weight. I have the lungs but I'm still built like an left tackle for the Patriots. LOL.

As a ex-300 pounder let me say this...the only way to be able to run on the street is to train on the street. Cutting weight, having the right shoes, the energy, and the attitude to do it makes a big difference. I started out donig the C25K program and that allowed me to accomplish a 30 minute 5K.

I hope some of this helps and good luck to you.

good luck mate