Hey folks! I wanted to give a bit of background on me, and maybe get some tips and pointers on how I can eat to fit a new lifestyle and run to stay active.

Basically, I am 19 years old.
When I was in highschool (2 years ago) I was in magnificent shape. I was 180lbs, 6', all muscle and toned.
I got out of highschool, got a computer-related job, and was in a chair 12 hours a day for 2 years.

Fast forward to today.
I am 6' 280lbs (yes, I gained 100lbs in 2 years)
I am depressed, obviously overweight, and feel very hopeless.

I read an article on coolrunning - Couch to 5k, and something sparked in me. Sort of like "I can do this, it is so easy!"
My problem is actually getting up and doing it. It is so much easier to just sit here. I have a choice, so I chose to be lazy.

What I am wondering is, does anyone have a good eating plan to go with this running plan? The eating I can do no problem. And if I can drop 30lbs or so, maybe I can be motivated enough to do the running.

I can do it, so long as it says "Eat THIS for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."
No "Try this, add this to this, 4 points - 6 grams of fat for 2 grams of pork + potatoes" I cant do it like that, I lose interest way too fast.

Thanks!!

As far as eating plans go, I really do not have a fixed one. Just eat a balanced diet with all your basic food groups and you will do just fine. Cut down on the fatty or sugary stuff though. Start running now rather than expect your weight to go down from the diet. Running helps you burn lots of calories and that is what's going to keep your weight down.
BTW nice to have a fellow BCer on the forums! Whereabouts in the province are you from? I'm from Coquitlam (in the Greater Vancouver Area) and a 2nd-year-going-third-year student at UBC. Are you in college as well?

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Tim: I am on the Island. Midisland actually, near UVIC.
As for college... I wish. I quit highschool in grade 10. I am doing correspondance right now to get my grade 12. After that, I have no idea what I am going to do. I am an unemployed lost soul right now.

To be honest, what I am training for is the Army. Basic Training is an absolute monster, and I am not prepared at all.
The reason I was hoping to diet a bit, is because man am I ever sore after ANY excersize. Be it walking around town- or riding my bike.

Anyways - I hope to learn a lot from you guys.
Thanks!

Welcome, bluerogue! Timruns said it best - start running now. Changing your diet alone won't get you anywhere very fast. I hope you enjoy it here. There are lots of friendly folks with great thoughts and many of us have done the couch to 5K in the past as well.

-Randy

think about joining our virtual race. It is a team event and always a good time.

:wiggle:

welcome bluerogue. hope you find lots of helpful info here as you start your running/diet program. i'd just watch my portion sizes and eliminate all refined sugar and really high fat meat (sausage, salami, ham, etc)...

drink lots and lots of water and hit that Couch to 5K program.

keep checking in!

I agree with the others. See if you can't get motivated to start the C25k plan now. (It will get fun) We will all be here to help cheer you on, and you may find your appetite will decrease.

I eat several times a day. My husband thinks that's all I do. I may have a bowl of cereal in the morning, a few toaster waffles a few hours later, then a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and a couple hours after that a bowl of rice...get the picture. I don't put anything off limits, but just try to eat smaller portions more frequently. Keeps me from eating a ton at one sitting.

You may want to look at the Body for Life book and it's eating plan. I don't follow it to the letter by any means, but he does give good examples of how to eat several times a day.

Once you get started, you will figure out what works for you and probably take advice from everyone and incorporate it into what you can live with. The big thing that helped me was I quit drinking soda of any kind. It's been well over a year. That reduced my sugar dependency too I think.

Welcome bluerogue! My suggestion would be to talk with a nutritionist or dietician. Also, follow the aforementioned advice and start a running program now. And, btw, all exercise will make you sore when you first start out, but give yourself a plan and some time and you'll be fine in no time.

Welcome. You already made the toughest choice which is to change. If your not ready to start running, use that time for walking. The biggest challenge is making it a habit again.

Hi! I like this book: Sports Nutrition for Distance Athletes. Good luck to you.

:),

Shelly