I don't really have any 'A' races lined up at this point for a while. What I'd like to do in the meantime is drop my 5K time to a sub 20 level. Here's my current running schedule, every run starts at 5:30 AM::

Monday :: 7 miles recovery
Tuesday :: 6.5 miles fartleks
Wednesday :: 7 miles recovery
Thursday :: 6.5 miles tempo
Friday :: off
Saturday :: LSD between 10 and 15 miles
Sunday :: off

Am I screwing myself out of a decent 5K time by not doing shorter and faster runs? If I added an afternoon session of intervals of 400's or 800's and shortened one of the other runs (except the LSD run) would I do better at improving my 5K time?

Throwing in a speed workout sure wouldn't hurt, if that's what you are pushing for.

Purple---I'd make your day of fartleks a little versatile.....intervals, fartleks, cruise intervals are alot alike....about every 3rd or 4th week make it a true repeat session...200s and 400s hard with full recovery in-between. Another idea would be to do some stride outs after your tempo session on Thurs.

Also, i wouldn't take Sunday off, a nice recovery run. Unless this is a day that you are biking.....see...I know you haven't given us your total week...cuz I've been seeing alot of miles on the bike.

sue

I agree with Sue. Mix up one of your speed session days with different types of speed work, with a true track session in there monthly. Of course, it always helps to know what your focus is. Are you really training for 5k's? Or triathlons? Or are you just out racking up mileage because it keeps you out of trouble and you really like to do it?

Or are you just out racking up mileage because it keeps you out of trouble and you really like to do it?

Am I that transparent or did I divulge every little secret to you in some PM I don't remember? :)

Why, whatever are you talking about?

ph----I have no idea what your goals are?! I know you are on your bike alot...is this cross training or are you putting too much into it? Of course, I think biking can help a 5k time....but if takes away from your time and recovery of a good speed workout--then it isn't working.

Unfornuately biking and marathoning absolutely do NOT go together :(. Thus, my goal to become a supreme duathlete is on hold until I get a decent marathon time. ......my bike is very lonely sitting int he garage

ph----I have no idea what your goals are?! Neither do I. A few non-Ironman distance triathlons next year and a really good (for me) 5K time would make me happy.

I know you are on your bike alot...is this cross training or are you putting too much into it? Of course, I think biking can help a 5k time....but if takes away from your time and recovery of a good speed workout--then it isn't working. See previous comment about triathlons. I swim and lift too but I don't post that much about it.

Unfornuately biking and marathoning absolutely do NOT go together :(. Thus, my goal to become a supreme duathlete is on hold until I get a decent marathon time. ......my bike is very lonely sitting int he garage My doesn't get lonely and would probably appreciate some well-deserved rest.

one word: hills!!!!!

other than that....well, honestly..don't know......that's my husband's territory. He can run some pretty amazing 5k and 10k on virtually no running...everything we runners do....intervals, hills....blah, blah...he does on his bike. But he is trying to do a marathon and it's becoming very interesting :). All I know is a runner can imitate a biker quite well until a goodsize hill comes along :|.

what kind of bike do you have?

one word: hills!!!!!

what kind of bike do you have?

I do hill repeats on the bike but not running. Where I live in GA it's all hills and no flats. Everything is either up or down. I've got a great hill right out in front of my office that I use for hill repeats on the bike. I may try doing hill repeats on it too.

I've got a Trek 1000. I bought low becuase I didn't know if I was going to like riding that much. Turns out that I really enjoy it and I'll probably upgrade to a better ride early next year.

sure sign of a triathlete: bike upgrade. or......I need a second bike for training or I'll ruin the one I race on...I need a third cheap bike for indoors because I sweat so much it corrodes. I need a hybrid because I can't ride slow enough on my bike for you to keep up with me......

sure sign of a triathlete: bike upgrade. or......I need a second bike for training or I'll ruin the one I race on...I need a third cheap bike for indoors because I sweat so much it corrodes. I need a hybrid because I can't ride slow enough on my bike for you to keep up with me...... I've already got a POS MTB so I can ride in the rain w/o getting my good bike wet. :P