I've been running for about a year, and am trying to improve my training regiment.

I work out in the morning, getting up at 5am, and am working out by 6am. During my runs, I find that I am not as productive as when I run later in the day. I expect that is because of my food intake (or lack of) during that 1st hour of the day (5am-6am).

I have tried to eat something before I get to the gym -- but at best that is only about 30min before my run. I find that what I eat just sits in my stomach like a rock, and worsens my workout.

My questions are:
a) What *can* I eat relatively close to my run that will help (and not hurt) my run?
b) If nothing, then is there anything I can do the night before?
c) Anything else aside from nutrition that might help me? A slap to the face? ;-)

TIA,
Jason

mind if i ask what you're eating before your run? how far are you running?

cliff bars are good and they don't sit like a brick..

Welcome Jason. I'm an early morning runner also - up at 4:35 and hitting the pavement around 5:30 a.m. I have tried and I just cannot eat anything before a run that time of day. My morning ritual includes a single cup of black coffee and sometimes some water before I get going. Anything else just sits in my stomach or causes me heartburn.

Have you considered something like slimfast drinks or boost? Not as a weight loss, some people use both of those as nutritional supplements/weight maintenance product. They are packed with vitamins and minerals and are easy on the stomach.

They worked for me. Just another opinion.

I agree with airehead about the slimfsat drinks. also.. My questions are: a) What *can* I eat relatively close to my run that will help (and not hurt) my run? Try eating Powerbars. They load you with energy and they are actually meant to be eaten fairly close to your workout so that should work. Make sure that you drink a lot of water with it htough to help it digest. b) If nothing, then is there anything I can do the night before? Eating a huge dinner should help..eat until you are completely and utterly satisfied and full (unless you're oging on a diet or something :p) c) Anything else aside from nutrition that might help me? A slap to the face? Get a shower before you go. I always take showers before I run in the mornings because it is what wakes me up. If you can bear the cold, take a cold shower instead of a hot one, or at least make it cold right before you get out.

hi jason,
ive started eating the quaker oatmeal bars before i leave the house. i am running within 15 minutes after leaving. they do not seem to bother my stomach and i can feel the extra energy by the time i have completed my first mile.

Kel

I absolutely loathe running early, but back when I was marathon training, and probably this summer as well I had to.

First off, it looks like you are giving yourself a little while to get your blood flowing. Waking up and hitting the road 10 minutes later always made me really slow.

Second...one of the things I did to help my morning runs get better (when I had a goal and not a general aerobic run planned) Was....I did forties in my backyard. High knees, tail flickers, acceleration, bounding...I took about 15 minutes jogging back and forth doing these "warm ups"

I, like rob, had a hard time eating anything. I did make use of the energy gels, though. I liked the cliff shot, better than anything else. Especially the caffienated ones for morning running.

I've heard others recommend honey. :shrug:

as a non morning person who has to suffer with races being scheduled in the morning it's always sucked for me especially since i can't eat heavy.

the Slim Fast/Boost?generic version is a very good idea. drink it when you get up and it will be strting to get into your bloodstream shortly after you start running. Other options are plain bagels and water.

how far/long are you running?

Wow! Thanks for all the great comments/suggestions.

I've tried a number of things like hard boiled egg, peanut butter & toast, etc. (I didn't say they were good ideas!), but some of the suggestions everyone put here I will definately try!

Thanks for the helpful ideas and warm reception. You all are great!

Ovaltine isn't bad either, shake it up with milk--lots of vitamins.

(I'm a mom, ok???)

What is up with getting up so early, then hanging around for an hour or so? I get up at 6, then usually run by 6:10, unless, of course there is the obligatory morning constitutional, then it may be 6:30.

I swig an ounce or so of Rebound FX, a concentrated sports drink. I don't dilute it, just drink it straight. Seems to work for an hour or so.

JW

What about just Gatorade or another drink with carbs? Liquid might sit better than solids.

Fair comment/question. I don't like Gatorade, Powerade, etc since they have only sugar and, at best, a couple other nutrients. The gels are more worthwhile nutritionally, IMO. I agree though, with your base thought - a liquid would seem better, and my personal experience supports that.

So, why get up and wait an hour before running? Is there a specific morning routine, or pre-running routine that I am missing?

I want to know this too. I get home late, and don't want to run just before bed, so obviously I have to do it in the morning. Why get up an hour before running?