My Sunday School class is looking for 'fellowship outings' to do over the course of this year. They just went to see an Easter play last weekend and there's talk of going to see the Braves play over the summer.

One of the goals as a class was to collectively lose 100 lbs.

So, I'm trying to incorporate the two and I think a late fall 5K would be a good idea. What would be the best way to present this to the class and make it sound exciting? I'm not much of a sales guy and if I said, "Hey, let's all go run 3 miles for fun!", I'd get a bunch of this 8O & this :umno: .

I'm assuming that most of my Sunday School class (probably 20+ people) don't have much of a regular exercise routine, so this would really be a big step for most of them.

I would introduce the idea coupled with a couch to 5k plan. Something that shows them it is easy.

If you include some sort of fellowship after, like a pancake brunch, I think it would be a good time.

I would do it. Especially if we were getting together to train for it as a group.

Group tee shirts would be cool, too.

First of all, this is a great thing for your SS class to do together! If you have a group of people who are used to doing things together this is a great incentive to get everyone to lose weight. I like aire's idea of coming up with a Couch to 5K plan to get everyone motivated. I'd have that "plan" ready and available for the group to read. That way it's not intimidating to think about right off the bat. Some would be overwhelmed with the idea of running a 5K without knowing how to get to that point. It might also be wise to tell some members that it's ok to walk a 5K. Exercise is exercise. It's great just to get people moving.

Perhaps get the group together once a week to walk/run as well? It's a good way to stay motivated and stick to a plan. I know that it helps to have friends all working towards the same goals.

Have a way to chart progress each week. People might be motivated if they can see what they have done. Have that chart with you when explaining your plan.

Just a few of my thoughts.

This is great!

sounds fun!

maybe you could start out with presenting the c25k plan and say that it is a good start for the weight loss plan, then, so everyone really has a goal to work for, suggest the race....

by the way, i never thought of there being 'adult' sunday school too....interesting

this is a great idea PH and so badly needed -- our church needs some sort of emphasis on the "physical" stuff.

good suggestions so far. i'd present the couch-5K plan in writing maybe so that could set them learning. be visual - it takes the mystery away from the word 5K. "Running a race" might really scare them away; just the sound of it is :umno: If they see that there are written programs for beginners like them, it will ease their concerns maybe.

i really like the chart idea too - again, that is a visual thing and it should help them with their progress.

i can't think of a better fellowship outing than all 15 or so of the newbies showing up at a 5K some morning in the fall and doing it together after a long period of training together. you might just hook a few of them for life.

If you use the c25k program at my church the non-active would be intimidated by the miles. I would be prepared to present it in two formats depending upon their reaction: in minutes or in distance. I think that the minutes option is less intimidating....then again, the demographic of my church is retired and predominantly overweight.