Yeah, I want to try to gain some muscle, being only 125 pounds, it's pretty sad. I wanna bulk up to like 150, but still run, 5k's and maybe 10k's. Will it slow down my muscle gains at all and is there any way that I could be sucessfull at both gaining muscle and being a good runner. Being an ectomorph is tough .

Only running is not enough you have to take proper diet as well

Amen that Brotha...
I would love info too. If you build lean muscle mass, you should be ok with running. I guess the problem would be your muscles recovering and mending well enuf btw workouts and runs.. food habits, age and rest would determine that. I have also heard that shin and leg muscle fibers are some of the toughest in the body and hence take the longest to gain mass...

I'm a firm believer that anyone but the ultra-competitive runners can benefit from an upper body weight training regiment. The weight gain will have negligble effects on most of us. I lift weights for my upper body three days a week right after my morning run. Those mornings my runs are usually 5 miles or less. I'm 5'9", 164# and old. If I can do it a youngster like you can do it. PM me if you want an idea of what my standard lifting routine is.

A hard-core bodybuilder would probably tell you not to do so much aerobic activity, but if you're a runner first and trying to look good 2nd, then I think you can successfully run 5K / day and still build up some muscle.

Have you tried creatine? A lot of the weight gain is from water, but I found it helped with what I was able to lift too.

Thanks for the info and motivation!

I think I'll be ok with the routine rob, I've got a fitness teacher at my school that I've been talking with recently. I think it would be best to get it in person, thanks though!

Purple Hayes, I'd like to try creatine but my parents dissaprove of it, because they say it's too new for people to see long term results. Personally, I don't see a problem with it, and the odds don't seem high anything bad will come of it. Is not like one of those things that you need a parents permission to buy right? And do you know where I could get some? Thanks!

It's widely available over-the-counter in the US. Canada may be different. You can buy it about almost any mass retailer (Wal*Mart).

Nice, thanks for the quick reply. I'll pick some up the next time that I can.

Mike, I think I read somewhere that you were 15years old, that being the case you have only just reached maturation.
It could be that you are a late developer, adolesent growth spurt usually lasts from 2.5 - 3 years. Earlier developers often become the smaller stockier adults whereas late developers often become slim tall adults.
The increase in the breadth of the body has its growth spurt following the lengthining process and the depth of the chest follows the broardining process.
Remember at your age body parts do not complete their growth simultaneously.

Keep well away from magic potions and that body building stuff, at your age you should aim at an all round muscular development (body weight activities) to prepare you for higher training loads and weight training in the future

Sounds good thanks, is protein powder included as a "magic potion"? Because I'm vegetairian, which is hard to get protein.

Hey Mike G,

Creatine does indeed work for increasing msucle mass and does have some recuperative effects upon muscle recovery (for weightlifting). HOWEVER, a simplistic explanation of the size increase is that it enables your muscles to absorb water into them to a larger degree then they otherwise would (thus, giving your muscles a rounder fuller look). This is great, but, as a runner it causes you to dehydrate quicker (especially if you possess a smaller frame, like I do). Get on the web and do your homework before using this product and pay close attention to studies that were NOT funded the product's producer.
Hope this helps,
kell

Mike--- again, I worry about you. I think you are dealing with alot of hs peer pressure issues. Having grown-up with small brothers, I understand the "want" to bulk up. However, some girls like the smaller guys with brains you know. Ectomorphs may have it tough in hs......but "hey" look who Alan Culpepper spends his nights with

In the November issue of Men s Health Magazine, this was proven possible, as well as a discussion around the health benefits associated with these usually divergent methods of training.

I highly recommend browsing the Men s health website for ideas of why and how both can and should be achieved.

Do not let Peer Pressure get to you, but a bit of advice from an older fart trying to get in shape is a lot easier while your young. Just the difference in how hard its becoming to exercise graduating from High School to College is incredible. Getting in shape younger has life long benefits. If you want to get in shape, more power to you, but ensure you do it for your reasons or you will just be wasting your time, and quickly fall off your training schedule.

Forums like this provide good encouragement from your couch, just ensure that you compare that to what professionals, and experts are saying. Well recognized journals/magazines are a good place to go to double check what you are hearing on these forums, and provide a closed loop feed back system for proof.

Good luck,