I am a competitive runner. Can I run after bunion removal?

The recovery is most important in this case. Nothing else. When did you have a surgery? Did you have it in the first place? In both cases, here is what you need to know about it. Two weeks after the procedure, you will have this rehab program that can last for 4 weeks. After that, I think that you will be able to walk normally as well. The only problem can be with the painful little toe, but also with the proper treatment, everything is going to be ok. Now, when it comes to running, in some occasions, doctors were able to give a patient such a proper treatment that they were able to go jogging three months after surgery, which is really an amazing result. But jogging. To run like you want to, like a true competitive runner, you will have to wait for more than this. Six months, I think. 

I am wondering about this too! I just had bunion surgery 3 weeks ago and am a runner. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

my surgeon said i could do ultras - i doubt 5k would be a problem. but why not just phone your surgeon rather than asking a bunch of folk on the internet who don't have a clue?

A surgeon doesn't always have the real experience. Is there any runners out there that have had bunion surgery?

I had a bunionectomy and osteotomy last November 2006. I do 4 half marathons and 1 FULL MARATHON per year. So far after surgery, I have been able to run 3 miles four times a week. No more! More mileage = pain. My doctor says I should be able to run my normal base mileage of 25-30 miles per week in about 2 more months. I have some slight stiffness and hope it will go away with continued stretching exercises for the toe.

I had bunion surgery in November, 2006 (one foot). I am now running about 30 minutes twice a week. I have some stiffness and pain but not too bad. I am just trying to build up slowly!

How soon can i walk after my bunionectomy? And will i need crutches?

Answer to Carla88, Your Surgeon is perform the technical procedure of surgeon but does not has any experience of painful after treadment. The people in the internet and your doctor will help all your Q/A.

So can everyone run ok after their bunion surgery. I'm concerned as well. I run and I'm a little paranoid that I won't be able to post surgery. How have you folks been doin?

I am recovering from a tailors/austin buionectomy right now...it has been just under 2 weeks and so far so good. I am also a runner, and i am about as paranoid as they come. but i believe that if you want it you can make it happen. just look at all of the pro athletes that have injuries and get back out there and play. it is possible. i am also under the impression that bunion surgery is really no big deal. i get a kick out of myself when i go to the doctor...i think i am babying myself just a bit. anywho...good luck to everyone, and one more thing about these blogs... EVERYONE is DIFFERENT! dont think because someone else says it is hard that it is, only you know how you feel.

These are the same questions that I keep trying to find an answer to. I don't really care what my feet look like, but I do care how they feel when I run. They continue to have pain and shoes are getting harder to find to run in. Read through some of the various threads- some folks are not even walking comfortably well after their surgery. I think it really depends on your doctor and how well they understand your desire to run, and how much work you do in physical therapy. If I ever actually go through with the surgery, I hope to find a doc that runs and has some sense of sports medicine because I'd rather tough it out with my bunion than have to give up running altogether. Keep posting new info. if you get it! I'm really curious to know if there are any professional athletes out there who have undergone this surgery.
As for asking the surgeon- it seems like surgeons tell you the best case scenario and that may not be your experience.
NOTE: a tailor's bunion is very different than a bunion on the great toe!

I had lapidus bunionectomy, a shortened second metatarsal, and gastroc recession on my left foot & calf 4 weeks ago & I'm a runner. I had to stop running in April because of pain in the ball of my foot and toes. I told my surgeon I need to be able to run after the surgery and he said that will be our goal. He has a very conservative approach to surgery & recovery, so he told me I had to give him a year before I'll be back to normal. (I'm having the same procedures on my right foot in Dec.)

The surgery went very well. The stiches are healing well, and it looks like I'll have very narrow scars. I have 3 incisions - 2 on my foot and one on the inside of my calf. I left the hospital in a splint and ace bandange and now I'm in a removable cast w/ crutches. No weight bearing, except balancing on my left foot. I do some ankle circles and toe stretches, but that's it for exercising. I go back in this Thursday for another set of xrays and my doc said I'll start putting more weight on my foot. I'm also hoping for a smaller cast. I'm still taking vicodin for pain - but hope to cut back to extra strength Tylenol in a week. I'm going back to work on Monday - but just a few days a week until I get off crutches.

So far, so good. It's been painful at times, and I'm hoping worth it!

Jah, thanks for posting your experiences! I think that what you've put here is pretty helpful and I think that it would be nice to hear some updates from you on a regular basis. Come back and let us know how you're doing later, okay?