Hello, my mother is 57 years old and unfortunately she has to deal with the breast cancer now. Radiation therapy is not applicable, which means that she will have to for the surgical removal of the affected tissue and that will require chemo therapy later. Anyway, a friend of mine has been in a same position couple of years ago and she had to take 5 fluorouracil in her chemo and it looks like she sustained some brain damage because of that. Is that possible?

It is very hard to talk about the effectiveness and side effects of the medications used in chemo therapy. I mean, cancer itself is a serious illness, one that could end fatally. In that case, all those side effects that might happen seem not so important. Of course, when all is over, and some problems do occur, it should be dealt with in any possible way. But, for that to happen, the patient has to get rid of the malign cells first.