Hi, my father has had a surgery of colon cancer two weeks ago, and afterwards he was diagnosed to stage II of colon cancer. What should he expect considering this stage?

Hi, I had colon cancer 2 years ago, and after surgical removal of rectal cancer, the cancer was referred to as stage II rectal cancer. This indicates that microscopically examined sample shows that the cancer has penetrated the wall of the rectum, but did not include any of the local lymph nodes and has no metastasis. After surgery 20 -30% of cases cancer has remissions, so radiation therapy and chemotherapy are an option, especially if microscopic cancer cells have remained. The decision for this treatment comes based on the depth of invasion of the cancer. 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy and radiation therapy have been proven to prolong life by stage II rectal cancer patients.