When I first told my doctor that I was suffering from a vague pain below right rib cage he thought of a possible gastro problem. He didn't suspect the liver, because he knew I used to have stomach problems when I was a kid. So he gave me Prilosec. But the pain didn't calm down. I am occasionally drinking alcohol; when I was young, I drank a lot more. I'm getting scared because I've heard several similar stories which ended with cancer. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Alcoholic? Then it must be liver! The liver can be a source of pain when there is inflammation of the liver or if the liver is enlarged. Alcohol use can cause an enlarged liver by fat infiltration. It can also cause inflammation (alcoholic hepatitis). As the other respondents indicate, alcohol can also play a role in the development or exacerbation of other gastrointestinal problems like ulcer disease. If symptoms persist after you stop drinking, additional testing may be needed.