My husband has extreme pain in his rib cage and stomach area. It normally starts to bother him when he lays down for bed or wakes him in the night. If it starts while he is still awake he says that it starts out like butterflies in his stomach like a nervous type of feeling, then it moves upward to his rib cage area and says it feels like someone stabbing him with a knife. He says it causes his stomach to be really tight. He is unable to sleep when he has these spells he paces, sits, stands, lays and can not get any ease from the pain. He takes tylenol, motrin, real pain killers, even midol and nothing helps he takes prilosec once a day and when this happens he take 1 or 2 more to see if it will help. He drinks milk and no relife. He is in really bad pain when he has these spells and there is nothing I can do to try and help him. He has no insurance and is unable to have numerous test ran. Does anyone know of what this maybe of how to prevent or treat this. Any suggestions would be great!! TKS Amanda, Concerned Wife

I would be doing anything to get some kind of insurance and visit doctor. I feel sorry that your husband is not able to get insurance while we are busy rebuilding other nations worldwide. Please visit a doctor ..I think he should receive good medical care right now. Had it been GERD symptoms, it must have been over with Prilosec (unless it is prilosec itself which is giving reaction)...so if he feels acidity, for few days he could shift to other OTC drugs like zantec/Pepsid etc....and give prilosec a break for 1-2 weeks...also ..Milk is really bad when you have stomach related problems....having that will only increase the symptoms...I do hope that your husband will soon get good medical care and nothing will turn out serius with other vital organs like liver etc...

Hi Amanda,
Sounds like your husband really should be seen. I know you said you have no insurance, but hospitals have financial aid, and he should just go to the ER and get looked at. I suffer from GERD and I know first hand that reflux can cause all kinds of symptoms like you are describing. But my suggestion is a trip to the ER and apply for financial aid through the hospital. Loading up on Prilosec is not a good idea.Prilosec is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) which will reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. Taking too much is going to wreck havoc with the acid production in his stomach. I would suggest if the Prilosec is not working that the Dr may put him on something like Nexium that may be stronger.
Other things that can cause severe stomach pain (and the stabbing pain you are describing) is H-Pylori (a spiral parasite that bores into the stomach lining) although not life threatening, it can create alot of pain. There is treatment for that as well.
Hope any of this info helps....but get him to the ER and see the financial aid dept with help paying the bill. It is worth saving your husbands stomach from developing ulcers or a hiatal hernia (another possibility)...

GOOD LUCK, keep us posted.....IBS SUFFERER

This could also be as simple as panic attacks, which are even more prevalent than numerous postmodern syndromes and can manifest in various and sometimes debilitating forms of pressure and pain...potentially anywhere in the body, but usually in the chest or upper abdominal region.

Western medical systems typically don't attribute as much as they should to underlying or even subconscious psychological turbulence, which may or may not be the only cause, but can certainly exacerbate symptoms of distress or dis-ease.

Some people with no specific prognosis benefit from the application of relaxation techniques and alternative methods. Infrared saunas are gaining popularity; reiki (energy healing) can be helpful whether you believe in it or not; massage, yoic breathing practice, or any other form of deep relaxation technique can help surface any psychosomatic correspondence...at least temporarily.

Situations like this (I have a plethora of varying personal experience) often do resolve themselves, no matter how painful or terrifying they seem. Without medical insurance, you probably can't follow lines of typical recourse...so maybe these suggestions will be helpful. If things worsen or persist, however, even as you try major destress or psychological 'detoxing' methods, then medical help will be necessary under the circumstances...perhaps even life-saving.

Sorry I found this thread so late...just wanted to add my two cents.

this is a little late and you have probably already figured it out...but have you tried checking to see if he has chostocondritis? it's an inflamation in the cartilage. i have it and some of the symptoms sound very similar. i know other people are saying GERD and my mother has that. it can be either but from personal experience i would suggest looking for chostocondritis.

I had similar symptoms to your husband and went to the ER. The tests they ran were EKG, blood test, and blood pressure and heart rate; then sent me home. I decided to treat myself with gasX, which worked for me but I am worried about the stomach knots. Goodluck and God bless.

I don't know who i am sending this to, but i am desperate. i have read all these coments and i hope some MEDICAL DR. OR GASTRO SPECIALIST READS THIS. THE WHOLE YEAR OF 2008 I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT LOWER STOMACH PROBLEMS. I AM BLESSED THAT I HAVE INSURANCE, SO I HAVE HAD EVERY TEST RUN IMIGINEABLE TO TRY AND FIND OUT MY PROBLEM. EVERY TEST HAS COME BACK OK. YOU WERE DESCRIBING FOODS THAT WOULD CAUSE SMELLY GAS. I AM GOING TO BE HONEST. I HAVE COME TO THE POINT I HAVE JUST ABOUT STOPPED EATING. I AM AFRAID TO EAT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH, DRINK OF WATER, SALTINE CRACKER, SALTY CHIPS, HALF OF PEANT BUTTER SANDWICH, PIECE OF THIN CHICKEN PLAIN, AND ANY OTHER BLANE FOODS, IN SECONDS I HAVE EXTREME AND SMELLY GAS. MY STOMACH HURTS, I AM NOT A BIG OVER WEIGHT PERSON, AND I HAVE LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT NOT BECAUSE I CAN'T EAT, I AM AFRAID TO EAT. I DON'T HAVE THE APPATITE I USE TO HAVE. MY GASTRO DR PUT ME ON LEVBID TO TAKE ONCE A DAY BEFORE I TRY TO EAT TO CONTROL THE GAS. IT DOES HELP, BUT MY MOUTH STAYS SO DRY WHEN I TAKE THIS AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS DRINK LIQUIDS TO TAKE CARE OF THE DRY MOUTH. WHAT I AM CONFUSED ABOUT IS, WHEN I HAVE A BOWL MOVEMENT IT NEVER SMELLS AND THEY ARE PRETTY NORMAL LOOKING, BUT ITS THE GAS THAT IS TERRIBLE WITH THE BAD SMELL. EVEN WHEN I DON'T EAT ANYTHING. I HAVE THREE DIFFERENT SPECIALIST THAT I SEE AND THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING TO TOGETHER TO FIGURE OUT WHATS GOING ON WITH ME. NOW THEY ARE SAYING MAYBE THE MOST OF THE PAIN IS FROM SCAR TISSUE FROM SURGERIS I HAVE HAD IN PAST. MAYBE TALKING ABOUT EXPLOROTORY SURGERY. I DONT WANT THAT. IF THAT WONT FIX THE THE BAD GAS THEN I DONT WANT TO DO THE SURGERY. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME. I AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE AND MIND. I HAVE A FULL TIME JOB AND IT IS HARD TO WORK ALL DAY FEELING THIS WAY. PLEASE, WHOEVER READS THIS SEND IT TO A GASTRO DR TO READ . PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK. MY ADDRESS IS _[removed]_. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA. MY NAME IS PAUL HALLOWAY. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? :-(

I have the exact same issue the doctors first thought i had acid reflux comes to find out i do but then they also thought Costal Condritus then they thought a heart murmorcuz i kept having these major pains so i had like 20 tests done MRI"s, Cat scans, blood tests, bones scans, just everything they even gave me steriod pain injections in my chest and nothing worked it came to find out they were anxiety attachs that lead to really bad panic attachs from so much stress in my life and i am only 19 yrs old i kno when they gave me panic attach medication it helped cuz like i have been dealing with this chest and stomach issue since i was 10 yrs old.
Hope this helps

@ P Halloway - your symptoms sound all too familiar to me! I am at the point where I have given up on GI doctors because I am 25 and they have all told me that I am "too young" to suffer from any real colon problems - colonoscopies are not usually done on people my age. My GI doc tried to dismiss my symptoms as common IBS and said I probably have a fiber deficiency. Although I have increased my fiber intake tremendously, gone on a strict diet (eliminating gassy foods from my diet) in in addition to being vegetarian for 8 years) - I have yet to see any changes in my symptoms. The fiber intake has helped me to go to the bathroom but the constipation, gas and pain is still there! I can eat anything from a grape to a cracker and it will turn into immediate gas. The same goes for any beverage I consume. I have gotten to the point where I've become discouraged to eating too, but you only will deprive yourself from necessary nourishment which ultimately does your body a greater disservice!

I suggest you see a HOLISTIC DOCTOR! Recently, I found a very affordable and knowledgeable holistic doctor in Brooklyn, NY. She performed several colonics and did a full body scan (innovative technology) to detect the state of all my organs. Come to find our my liver was very toxic and my GI track was in poor condition - as my food (of any sort) was not being digested! My body was filled with an excess of candida (yeast) which results from the bile produced during digestion. My stomach and the lining of my GI tract were very inflammed and damaged. I learned that my food was not being digested because of a lack of ACTIVE ENZYMES. My colon was severely inflammed which effected the mobility (constipation/discomfort). She prescribed me to a colon cleansing supplement, live-active enzymes and an anti-parasite supplement. I highly suggest this for anyone with digestive problems! It is the only true, definitive way to find out what is going on inside your body!

i am 17 and have these problems sometimes. i had my appendix out so i just assumed it was phantom pain although its in the wrong spot.

Could this be SIBO? I have it too.