AM ON THE DEPO SHOT FOR 10 WEEKS NOW FIRST TIME FEELING LOWER ABDOMINAL CRAMPING PAIN AND NAUSEA CAN I BE PREGNANT

I used Depo from 1999 - 2006 on my G.P's advice that it was perfectly 'safe' and had no side effects other than no periods. In September '06 after reading online risks I demanded a Bone Density Scan and to my horror Depo has caused Osteoporosis. I am 30 yrs old!! My skeleton is equal to that of a 70 yr old woman thanks to Depo. I had no period for 7 yrs, my oestrogen levels are now exremeley low and indicate I've gone through early menopause, my G.P refuses to test for this at this stage. I also had 4 stone weight gain - wich I have now lost with extreme dedication, mood swings, blurred vision, chronic abdominal pain, lack of lubrication , exhaustion and more.I continued with the Depo unaware it was the cause for 7 yrs. I thought it was work stress causing it all. Only on a friends advice end 2006 I Googled Depo side effects, what I found was shocking. To all you women out there on this crazy drug, look up the side effects, go to the manufactureres website - pfizer.com, GET a copy of the patient info sheet,Google it, this is no good for you. I've been off it 4 months and no period yet. Side effects still there, I have had sore nipples for 5 days now, thought I may be pregnant but not - luckliy! I have terrible hot flashes in the night I wake up saturated in sweat in the groin and underarm area, I still get totaly exhausted toward the end of the day and have to just lay down, at my age!! Plus's are Stomach pain has ceased now and still losing weight.

Hello there,

I just read your posting on the depo shot and you have me very freaked out, I myself have been on the deop shot since 2002 and have all the same sympotoms that you had during your time on the shot, I have not taken a bone density test and feel that I should now, after reading what you had to say, I have recently decided to get off the shot this month and start the Nuva ring because I am sick of having all the awlful symptons associated with the shot, but I am saddened that you still say you have the symptons that you did while you were on the shot. I have not had my period in 5 years and am looking forward to what my life will be like off the shot, I hope to loose the extra weight i gained, get my energy back and have a sex drive again, like you mentioned I too thought all those side effects were because I work so much and got school full time but I can clearly relate with what you wrote. Would you mind telling me if all your symptoms of being on the depo shot are finally gone? Will I even be back to normal? And secondly would you mind me asking what form on contraceptive you are currently on and why you choose it. Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Alicia

I was also on Depo for several years. I want to go on it again, but the side-effects are just not worth it. It not only messed with me emotionally, but screwed up with my hormones and caused thyroid problems to the extent that I had Hashimotos Thyroiditus (sp) and auto-immune disease. I was very sick and was told if IF I had not gone to the doctor, I may have died. I had been off of it for about 3 years at that point BUT the damage was done and got worse with no treatment.
I also began early menopause.. but with lots of meds and close doctor care I am now almost fully recovered and my estrogen is back up to a normal if not bit high level.

I loved.. absolutly LOVEd not having my period, that was the best part other than the sex was wonderful.... but for hubby and I, we are not going down that road again.... looking for new options now.

Good luck!

I had the depo shot about 3 months ago. Ever since then I have had horrible digestion problems, howling stomach pain, bloating, cramping and gas after I eat. This had affected my life greatly making my appetite decrease and making it hard for me to work because the cramps will last for hours. I threw up blood and sometimes throw up after eating. I never had any of these symptoms until I had the Depo shot. Does anyone else experience these symptoms that is also on the shot? I don't want to get another one although I enjoy not having a period.... it's just not worth it.

I've gotten on depo a month ago. My doctor AND the new pamphlets tell you to NOT take depo for more than two years and also to take a daily intake of calcium and vitamin D. I think doctors are more aware of the risks involved now. While that doesn't help anyone who has been on it in the past, at least they seem to be more aware of it now.

My concern is that I've lost ten pounds in three weeks since I got on it, and I feel nauseas all the time like I'm pregnant. I know I'm not because I took a test, but does it ever subside?

I've also had a period for two weeks, but I'm told that can be normal.

I had used for couple years Depo when I was 17-20 I am now 27 with 2 kids. the first time I used I did not have side effects that I suffer from now. I did not have periods the first time but I was always irregular anyhow.
This time I have had first shot and well about 2 weeks after the shot was given I NOTICED BAD MOOD SWINGS, CHILLS/HOT FLASHES TO WHERE I WAS THOUGHT I HAD THE FLU ( FROM EXTRA CLOTHES PILED ON TO GETTING BUCK NAKED. i HAVE HAD A HEADACHE NON STOP FOR WEEKS NO RELIEF EVEN WITH TYLENOL. IM SOOOO LIFELESS , NO ENERGY I HAVE TAKEN B VITAMINS TO HELP TOO NO AVAIL. I ACHE ALL OVER EVERY JOINT & MUSCLE EVEN MY JAWS. SEX DRIVE HAS DECREASED SOME NOT MUCH. MORE DUE THE WAY I FEEL LIFELESS. DEPRESSED AND SLEEPING MORE AS WELL.

CAN'T WAIT TO FREE OF THIS. i WILL NOT USE AGAIN. i HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT TAKES 2 MONTHS TO 4 HALF-LIFES TO GET OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM. HALF LIFE IS 50 DAYS SO 200 DAYS. SO FROM 2- ALMOST 7 MONTHS TO BE CLEARLY OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM. i DONT KNOW IF THIS IS FROM LAST INJECTION OR LAST SCHEDULED APPT FOR NEW INJECTION (WHEN U ARE SUPPOSED TO GO FOR NEW SHOT). ANYHOW I WILL NOT OG THIS ROUTE AGAIN. WORKED GREAT B4 BUT NOW WITH ALL THE EFFECTS I WONT DO IT AGAIN. HOPE IT DOES NOT TAKE 4 EVER TO CLEAR OUT. I CAN BE REACHED VIA
LEANNA(DOT)GONZALEZ(AT)GMAIL(DOT)COM. COMMENTS QUESTIONS WELCOME.

I have been on depo since may 2001! I never thought about getting off until now with the pressure of my boyfriend and son. Reading all of the personal experiences from everyone has got me not only afraid to et off but pissed off!!!! Birth control is suppose to help you do just that control giving birth. I guess we have no control after depo so it should be labeled as something else. I havent had any major side affects until the last two years. Weight gain 30 pounds and depression. I really hope that infertility is a side affect. I plan to get off in 2 weeks. I'm going to pray about it because God has the final word!! God bless all of you and may you all e blessed with healthy bundles of joy!! :-) :-)

I was on depo shot and i had the same symptoms and i went to the doctor and they just thought i had the stomach flu. I was late for my period and i was getting really excited that i was finally pregnant ( i had been trying for 4 years) and then i had my period. The next month i missed my period i was pregnant, and to my excitment i was 8 weeks pregnant. I was pregnant and had a period, and my doctor told me it was because i was on the depo shot.

I'm sorry that some of you have had bad situations with the Depo shot. What I am frustrated about is that some providers do not give you all/any information or even lie to you. Originally a former provider suggested I try the nuva-ring because I get migraines and she claimed that it would not put me at risk for a stroke. I thought it was strange that a few weeks later I got a migraine and I could not feel my left side and my friends wanted to take me to the emergency room but I refused. I just went to bed and called the dr. the next day and they said it had nothing to do with the ring. I called nuva-ring and they were shocked that I was given the nuva ring due to my history of migraines because it can cause stroke. I reread the pamphlet and it said not to use it if someone gets migrains because it could cause stroke.
Actually, I read that before but tried to trust the doctor. We really need to ask questions and get second or third opinions.
Finally I went to Planned Parenthood and they refused to give me the nuva ring for the exact reasons stated above. I'm on Depo now, which is good to me. It depends on genetics. My sister loved it. I'm making sure about calcium, something that I consistenly asked about when I went to planned parenthood. I do get a little bloated and it's weird not geting a period, but no birth control is perfect. We just have to ask ask ask ask! (And critique, too.) I'm actually a lot less moody and have no sudden outbursts (like I did with the nuva-ring or when I wasn't on anything). Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.

I HAVE BEEN ON DEPO SINCE '04 AND I HAVE BEEN IN AND OUT OF THE HOSPITALS SINCE '05 WITH HORRIBLE STOMACH PROBLEMS(PAIN!!!). I HAVE HAD EVERY GASTRO TEST KNOWN TO MAN DONE AND I AM STILL TO THIS DAY IN PAIN. 2 DAYS AFTER MY 21ST BDAY MY DR ADMITTED ME INTO THE HOSPITAL. MY HOMETOWN HOSPITAL RAN $41,916.62 WORTH OF TEST AND THEN ENDED UP SENDING ME TO MIAMI, WHERE I WAS ADMITTED FOR 2 WEEKS. WHILE IN MIAMI THEY DID THE BONE DESITITY TEST AND I TOO HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS. (I AM 21 YEARS OLD) I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE GASTROPARESIS WHICH IS NOT PAINFUL AT ALL SO THEY STILL DONT KNOW WHY IM IN SO MUCH PAIN? ANOTHER THING THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE IS THAT THE GASTROPARESIS IS USEALLY HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE IS AN OLDER DIEBETIC ( WHICH I AM NOT) SO THEY DONT KNOW HOW I HAVE IT. BEFORE THEY SENT ME HOME FROM MIAMI'S HOSPITAL THEY WANTED TO DO EXPLORITORY SURGERY BECAUSE THAT WAS THE LAST OPTION. AFTER SURGERY I WOKE UP WANTING TO HEAR THAT THEY FOUND SOMETHING BUT IN THE SAME SENSE I DIDNT WANT THEM TO FIND ANYTHING AND IM SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.- THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY DIDNT FIND ANYTHING AND WANTED TO TRANSFER ME TO GAINSVILLE. BUT I WASNT ABLE TO MISS ANYMORE WORK. SO NOW IM BACK AT HOME/WORK AND STILL IN PAIN- THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN THINK OF CAUSEING ALL THIS IS THE DEPO- I HAVE BEEN HEALTHY MY WHOLE LIFE AND NOW I FEEL AS THO IM FALLING APART- MY NEXT DEPO APPT IS IN 7 DAYS, AFTER READING EVERYONES BLOG ENTRYS IM AM GOING TO STOP THE DEPO- AND I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED IF I GET ANY BETTER

i recently got on the shot. i have abdominal pain, i just went to the doctor and there's nothing wrong with my stomach. no infections or stomach flu. the doctor didn't know what i could have. could this be from the shot?
also after i got the shot, i have gotten a burning sensation while having intercourse. i have never experienced that before, only when i got the shot. i've seen other girls who have posted that, but the doctors always say its not from the shot. has anyone had this problem?

I am a 22 year old girl who started on the depo shot 4 months ago. I just received my second shot about 1 month ago and all of a sudden I started feeling really sick such as lower abdominal pain, nausea,loss of breath,fatigue, headaches,chills , pain throughout my body almost like an aching pain, and I'm still spotting which really sucks. It sucks that u can't do anything but wait until the hormones leave ur system. I do not recommend this birth control method at all, the side effects are too much!

O my goodness! I had my first depo shot about a month and a half ago. Before I got it, I struggled with depression about a year before. When I got the depo, I sank low into depression again. I have lupus, so I'm sure the bone density c**p didn't help. The doctor should've said something! I'm hearing way too many horror stories about this, and I will NEVER get the shot again! After this...I'm done! I will go with the pill, but the shot isn't a friend. I have hurt really bad in my legs, and every time I eat, I get sick. I thought I may have caught a virus from the hospital, but nope! It's lasted for 3 weeks now!

this is my first time bein on the shot i got it two days after having my son and he will be 3 months on the 10th and i have noticed and so has my fiance my mood swings have been horrible not only that i been sad alot and now all of a sudden i been getting horrible cramps not only i bled for almost 9 weeks i kno i was to bleed 4-6 weeks after having my son but nine weeks was extreme for me ive had friends on this who had bled long periods of time and gained massive weight and they were pretty small befor hand and now after reading some of the post im a little worried i dont plan on going to get my next shot because if its the shot making me feel so horrible and tired and bitchy i dont want no part i havent felt like myself and my sex drive has totally disappeard which befor all this i had a very high sex drive also my doctor never told me anything about this shot except she said it would probably be the best birthcontrol for me im a little upset they didnt warn me of these side effects..!! >:(