I am 28 years old and I have been on the depo shot for TEN (10) YEARS now! I am having MANY health problems. When I first started the shots, the dr I had did not really say ANYTHING about it being linked to bone loss and I really did not think it was gonna be bad. I just REALLY liked the idea of not having to worry about remembering to take a pill everyday (as I am not really good at that), and LOVED the idea of never having a period. I HATE dealing with tampons and c**p. Anyway, I have a LOT of health problems. I am too young for this, I know, but I have some BAD degenerative disc disease goin on, esp in my lower back. At age 20, right at 21, my first MRI showed that the very bottom disc in my back was GONE and the 2 vertebre were partially fused. Well, now 7-8 years later, I have MANY discs from the middle of my back all the way down that are very deteriorated. IT IS PAINFUL. They have told me I have degenerative disc disease, lower facet joint osteoarthritis (where my vertebrae rub together), joint disease of the spine, etc. There are many medical terms for this. I hear the word spondylosis a LOT from pain docs. Additional probs: maybe rheumatoid arthritis (my knees, right elbow, hands, wrists, shoulders, neck... they HURT and kind of LOCK UP sometimes - also with too much activity, my knees, legs, ankles, and hands SWELL UP BADLY.), maybe osteoarthritis too, and I have a pinched nerve in my back that sends BURNING pain down my right leg... I am going to specialists who are trying to diagnosis this correcty as I have apparantly been misdiagnosed several times. In addition to all the back and joint pain, I suffer from mental illness: depression, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, and severe chronic fatigue syndrome. I am ALWAYS SO TIRED AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT ENERGY OR MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING. I have weird stuff going on too: night sweats, hot flashes, increased sweating all the time, AND, get this: I AM GROWING A FRIGGEN BEARD. I HAVE to shave my chin EVERYDAY. If I get depressed and do not shave for say 3 or 4 days, if I were to go out in public I would be called "the bearded lady".

OKAY. Now, I WANT TO GET OFF THIS SHOT. Since the FDA has put the "black box" warning on the depo shot (the absolute "strongest warning the FDA puts on a drug), I have been asking doctors questions. I asked my rheumatologist if he believed that the depo shot caused significant bone loss and could cause osteoprosis. He said "yes". I then asked "Well then do you think that my being on this shot for 10 years could be causing my disc deterioation in my back?" He was SILENT for several seconds and had this look on his face like "WOW... I have never thought about that before!" Then he just said, "I dunno... possibly... you would need to ask someone else about that. I do NOT know." So, I think I might be on to something.

After reading all of these other posts from all you other women, I think that more of my symptoms may be the result of my prolonged use of depo than I thought...

Actually, I DID try, after my mother's urging, to get off the shot about 4, maybe 3, years ago. I stopped the depo shot, and the doc put me on what he said was a strong birth control shot (can't remember the name... sorry). Even taking the pills, I BLED BAD, I MEAD GUSHING BAD for 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT. 3 MONTHS!!!! I MEAN, HEMMORAGING, POURING, GUSHING, NON-STOP BLEEDING EVERYDAY FOR 3 MONTHS! I was miserable. It was so awful. I went back to the doc (and he is one that tells me he does NOT think that the depo shot causes "enough bone density loss to be concerned about". I was desperate to stop bleeding, and when he told me that the only way he knew to make it stop was to start me back on the depo... I said okay fine, give me the shot. I just HAD to get the bleeding to stop.

I now am going to have to go see a MUCH better OBGYN in a MUCH bigger town than the 3 stop light little town where I live because my last PAP SMEAR showed that, for the third time, I have pre-cancerous cells in my cervix. So, Friday (today is Wed.) I gotta go see her, have a biopsy (which HURTS), and then I will have to have either laser surgery or cyrosurgery (freezing the cells) to have the pre-cancerous cells KILLED so it doesn't turn into cancer later on... which it will... so if this ever happens to any of yor reading my long winded msg, PLEASE GO GET IT TAKEN CARE OF IMMEDIATELY!

Because I have wanted to get off the shot for awhile... this actually might be a blessing in disguise. See, I have been talking to my mother a LOT today... and she has been wanting me to get off depo for years. She has been doing a LOT of research and told me that she found out that women who have been on the shot as long as I have simply cannot stop it. If I stop now, no matter what birth control they put me on... I will BLEED NON-STOP. What I am going to have to do is have my uterous taken out. This will stop the bleeding, I will never have a period again, and I will not have to be on birth control anymore. This is not an option for any of you who think that you will want to have a kid one day, I know that. I am just telling you what my mother and I have figured out is probably the only option for me. See, I KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT THAT I DO NOT EVER WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN. First of all, bc of my back, I could probably not carry a child... not without being on complete bed rest for 6 months. Secondly, with my mental illness (depression and SEVERELY BAD NERVES AND ANXIETY - I had a nervous breakdown at age 18), I could not raise or take care of a baby or child.

And finally, I simply do not want to bring a child into this world. It is bad. Can you imagine what your child will have to go through and see in their lifetime? The world is getting BAD. Many people, including myself, believe that we are living in the end of times. Read some of the book of Revelation on the Bible. If you understand that everything the Bible talks about is going to happen in the end of time is already started, and that you cannot take what it says LITERALLY... it's kinda like metaphors... I will shut up about that. E-mail me if you wanna talk more about that.

Anyway, I know what I have to do to get off this shot. I just thought I'd share... If you read all of this: "Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I love you and hope you get off the shot too and do not have as much trouble as I am having... but GET OFF IT SOMEHOW. I NOW TRUELY BELIEVE IT IS BAD, DANGEROUS, AND SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET."

Maybe we can all sue one day and get compensated for our pain and suffering. I love you all and good luck. My e-mail address is: ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

PLEASE e-mail me if you wanna discuss this more... I could actually use a friend who understands what I'm going through...

Hey Tonya this is my first Depo shot & let me tell u I'm having symptoms of hot flashes I have no energy I take 4 vitamins because my doctor really did not tell me the side effects I had too find out on my own so when I did found out that's when I admittedly start taking vitamins... & it's crazy cause no matter how many vitamins I take when I wake up i feel really lazy I feel like I have to boost my self up if I don't I can lay in the bed until the next day....oh and don't talk about hot flashes I have to have my AC on & my fan get this at the end of the night i still feel really hot those are the only symptoms that I am having what scares me about the myths and the symptoms is there are to many symptoms that's why i hurry up and got me some vitamins I take Nature Made for the Immune system I take One A Day for the lady's that reduce the chances of breast cancer and bone lost and the other 2 are for the heart and the bones.....now that I read your article and other female articles about being on this shot now I personally need to get off of it before it gets too late and I am 18 personally after this I want be getting back on a birth control to many facts and side effects thank u a lot this is a eye open to me and to other females about this shot and now we see the true colors hope everything turns out to be good 4 u hope your health is better and if u ever need to talk email me thanks a lot xoxox

Sincerely Beauty :-D

I agree , i am only 15 and have been on this shot for about 9 months and have been having serious pains and feeling weak all the time and having to force myself to get up and do something and my bone density has been going down alottt. I dont know what i should do i sthis shot really this dangerous should i get off of it before its to late ???

I would like to discuss this topic further with you. Im 20  and i have been on the shot for 4 years. Please, I need to know more

A couple weeks after getting my depo injection in FEB i have been feeling horrible. It started on night out of nowhere i broke out with this hit flash/fever and very nauseated. I thought i had a stomach flu, then the next day i was fine i ate alittle and slept like a baby. My symptoms seem to have gotten a little worse. I have really bad nausea, hot flashes, not able to sleep good when i do fall asleep i cannot stay asleep the whole night i wake up off and on, i have night sweats my whole body will sweat especially around my neck and chest area. I sometimes have an appetite and then sometimes i dont. I am sensitive to smells and get nauseous and get very weak. I get dizzy when I stand for a few seconds and then it goes away. Some days i am ok and some days are horrible. I have lost interest in my daily activities i do not want to play basketball anymore or go out with my friends. When i feel nausea i get hot flashes and i just want to lay down and i lay down for hours and hours at a time. I also get irregular heart beats and fast heart beats. I was perfectly fine until i got this 3rd injection. Now, I called where i got the shot from and spoke with a nurse there and she said since this is my 3rd injection my body should be use to it. So now i am very stressed out that this is not the depo shot doing this to me. Mind you, i have not had sex in years (i am 31 years old last time i had sex was a few years ago) so i cannot be pregnant. I do not have any other illnesses nor do i take meds.I tell you exactly what i feel like.. i feel like a stressed out pregnant women haha. Also, a couple days i had a bowel movement and had menstrual like cramps after and when i wiped down there i was spotting blood. The next morning i used the restroom had dark yellow urine, and when i wiped it smelled like old blood like i was either on my cycle or trying to start. I havent had anymore spotting blood since. I am due for my next injection April 19, but i WILL NOT Be going back because i have a very strong feeling this shot  is the cause of everything. Is there someone out there that can relate to me or have felt like this or is feeling like this now on the depo? Is this the depo shot making me feel this horrible?

I feel the same way! I'm 31 almost 32. I was on the depo from the age of 15 until the age on 22. I started back on it in January of this year (2013) I was put back on it bc it was the only thing that was helping with my endometriosis.  Without being on it, the endo causes me to be in chronic pain. I have always had back pain since I was a young teen. The pain lately have ben so bad. I went to a back and spine specialist.. Where I was informed that I have DDD. that two on my vertebras were rubbing against each other . Im very sensitive to pain meds, so I just can't take anything that would really help me with the pain. Im worried that if I get off the depo shot that I will be in pain from the Endo. I still have the female problem pains quite frequently now and concerned  that everything is going to get worse. Idk what to do. Does anyone have any advise?!?! Please help?!?!

Thank you!! 

Due to private emails not being allowed I can not e-mail you. I can empathize with you on many counts. I went many years in a lot of pain and could not get any help. When I finally got a doc to take me serious I could hardly even walk. Spondylolithsis of the lower spine supposedly a birth defect that manifested early due to being an athlete and hard worker. I had all over body pain that was suspected to be fibromyalgia, arthritis and whatever else that seemed similar. I was on dep years ago though I did not stay on it super long.

Doctors have done nothing for me. I finally seem to have turned a lot around. I still have some lower back pain; however, now I can walk, ride bikes and many other things I couldn't just a few short months ago. It stole over 5yrs of my life. I had many symptoms that were diagnosed as several different conditions. Turns out it was all about my liver! I quit drinking soda, avoid all HFCS, avoid all processed foods, eat veggies, serving of meat that fits in the palm of your hand at meals, fruit in moderation and WATER! I can not empasize WATER enough! Within a week several symptoms went away completely! I had diabetic looking feet cracked, calloused thick....in about a week it went away 2 weeks I had soft feet again! I no longer had insatiable back itches. I could no longer stand the taste of soda and my sweet tooth disappeared. Anxiety gone! My skin became super soft! No more dry elbows, knees or ankles! My hair became shinier and healthier looking in a few short weeks. Complexion clearer than it was though it was never real bad. All over body pain gone! Cracking joints gone! I could go on...two conditions I no longer have Diabetes 2 and thyroid issues...completely reversed by simply getting rid of the soda and eating. (I didn't eat hardly at all before just soda as I never got hungry) Thankfully I tend to go for liver friendly foods like veggies naturally when I do eat it stared healing my liver. The lemon water helped a lot as well.

I was dehydrated as well....when you become dehydrated your body will steal the water from other organs...from where ever it can...including the discs in your back! WATER is essential and no other liquid will hydrate you like WATER does!

medicine and birth controls are filtered by your liver and can also add to its load making it not function like it should.

I am no longer on any medicines at all. Off thyroid meds and losing weight naturally without doing a whole lot other than eating healthy. I've lost 31lbs in about 6 weeks and still dropping.

I do take a prenatal vitamin to help with nutrients for now cause I don't tend to eat a lot still trying to figure how to get all the nutrients from food. I also take milk thistle daily 1 dropper, as well as licorice root tea and dandelion tea which both help in detoxing liver and helping it heal. Cayenne in some meals has helped as well for better circulation. Though I did not take any of these when I first started and noticed results. I have merely added these recently for better health.

I only figured it out cause finally a nurse practioner tested my vit D level. I had none. Not just deficient but non-existent!!!
I knew that was impossible to be cause of not being able to walk cause I was always outside when it started. Turns out if your liver isn't functioning properly it will throw off your gallbladder...if gallbladder is not functioning it will kill your Vit D levels!
I used to be able to get quite tipsy off one drink...never thought anything of it and I rarely drink alcohol so never seemed unusual...till I find out that was why my liver and gallbladder were failing and couldn't process even 1 drink! I still don't drink much...taking care of my liver is top priority!

I don't know if any of this will help you...but you never know. Once my liver began healing my tastebuds changed (10 days for your tastebuds to all be new ones) sweet tooth disappeared allowing complete control of when to have something sweet and real food tasted better! HFCS dulls your taste buds to everything and craves sweet btw...cancer loves sweets as well.

And I would definately advise against any depo shots.

I was on it for 2 or 3 years I have disgeneretive disc disease now at 24 it hurts so bad I tell everyone I know nor to get the depo

Please ,get in touch with me . I have had DDD for yrs starting in my 20s i was on depro from15 to 18 i have had one thing after another in my spine with no explanation my spine is falling apart.. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am 52 and healthy. I was on the depo shot for at least 10 years until one year ago. Mostly taken for pain control. I am having serious spinal disc issues and have been seeing a doctor for the past year. I've been to 2 surgeons for opinions. I am trying to avoid spinal fusion surgery. I too wonder if the shot has to do with my degenerative disc issues.