My surgeon says he is going to put a cage and plate n screws in neck c5-c7 are very bad. Anothe dr said the upper discs are bad as well c2 -c4 and wants me to ask how surg how a solid repair is goin to effect the upper DDD in the future. Will I need further attn??? This will be the 1st of 5 surgs. Ive had plenty of surgs, but Im scared to death of my neck being done..Bad dreams/nitemares. Surg gave me a special neck brace 580 bux I will have to wear for 4-6 wks. Im going to be homeless in 2 wks. Lease is up, and Landlord isnt willing to extend it, Unless She gets another 1st n last month rent plus SD. Why?? I feel since she knows how much ive done to fix the place up, she would let it roll over n just pay June etc.. May was pd for. She wants May again, sayn its not the last month IF ur going to stay. I realize that, but shes not out a penny, and June will be pd as always. I will have no place to recover from surg. @ car garage filled with family stuff in rafters and 2 cars I was workn on til i got to bad to finish em. I stuck, and Ive asked Everyone for help w/rent. I cant get any help at all, and his nurse said shes been calling for a month, to schedule, since its so severe, they wanna do it next week??? My kids n I have no where to go, and I also lost a job opportunity last week due to all this, pain etc.. stress........... Basically petrified of neck surg,, they way hes talking. He now wants to see me next Thrs before planning date. Feeling hopeless n helpless for kids and me, mainly kids

I had level C4-7 ACDF 2.5  weeks ago and doing great. I experienced pain relief almost immediately after the surgery with significant improvement of numbing and tingling in hands and feet. You may feel well enough to go back into the office in 2 weeks but will need to get up often and take breaks and make sure your chair is high enough. I was able to work on laptop in bed 24 hours after surgery. I put a pillow on my lab because it hurt to have to hold arms out or up for too long. This resolved by the end of week 1. I think a wedge would be really helpful. I was fortunate to own a bed where the back went up like a hospital bed and this was really helpful. As far as foods I went out and purchased protein drinks and juices but found foods with a little more consistency were better like puddings, applesauce, soups. I also always made sure I had something carbonated poured when I ate like pelligrino. Food was getting stuck every time I ate and the carbonation helped it go down. A little scary but just remained calm when it happened until the food went down. This too gets better each day. I expect by another week this should be totally resolved. Hope that helps. 

I also had surgery two months ago and still have throat pain. My left vocal cord was damaged during the surgery so I have issues swallowing and speaking. It has improved some, now I can eat soft food without choking. I have learned some techniques for swallowing. Seeing an ENT for my throat issues.

I had my surgery July 16th 2015. Today is September 8th. I feel 90% better. Recovery was a little rough but also not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. Mostly it was just me panicking when I would feel something that was like the old familiar pain/discomfort. As time went on, those pre-surgery symptoms/pain became less and less. I am so glad I had this surgery. It truly has given me my life back. I had a c5/6 ACDF Surgery. Had headaches all the time, muscle spasms. Couldn't sit on computer for more than 10 minutes w/o discomfort. In pain nearly every day and it just kept getting worse. I am so happy I had this surgery. I too was scared to death after reading about all the bad outcomes on the internet. Best decision ever for me.

I am 6 weeks post op level C6-7 acdf and I feel great. After having a posterior laminectomy to resolve the issue less than a year ago,it reherniated. I had my surgery August 3 with immediate relief from the pain, pins and needles and numbness. I occassionally get slight numbness in my right index finger and muscles spasms (all normal as I have a desk job and have to pay attention to my position) nothing repositioning and an ice doesn't relieve. I also started back to the gym. Having the fusion was the best decison and I wish I had opted for it the first time as the laminectomy was painful to recover from and failed in the end. Good luck with your decision and recovery.

I had acdf surgery on c5, c6 and 7. It's day three and I still have pain. They said it is normal due to al the stretching of the nerves and such. When should it get better?

All normal I think . I believe week 4-6. Shows the most improvement. Nerves settle down and inflammation and scar tissue as well . I had feelimgs like nerve pain and muscle pain and I would panick. They are right though , the surgery takes a toll on everything but fir me it most definitely got better .

I am 37 and had c4-7 done never again my pain is worse off I can't sleep I feel like a turtle that was ran move trying to move swallowing is terrible. can't barely drink water no pain meds help pain in left arms now and middle finger I'm at day 5

I am 8 days out from an anterior (front) c6-7 disc removal and fusion. Before surgery there was very little space in my spinal cord due to a herniated disc.
Immediately after surgery, I felt great. No numbness in arms or legs. Only pain was from surgery. I had a neurosurgeon do my surgery. My husband worked from home last week. I had a little table next to the bed with drinks, meds,... tv remote. The surgery took some energy. I tire easy. I had a good attitude going in. I was afraid but did it anyway. I have discovered adult coloring books and colored pencils!

I have been eating/drinking fruit smoothies. Still hurts when I swallow.

I hope your doing well.hoping your throat damage is ok now....2017 March will be 2 years post surgery for me. After the 13 months it took me to feel normal again.....I let everyone know, its not a simple 2 week feel better surgery. it literally takes a year.... realize its your neck holding your head up.. it was a long struggle for sure. And wouldn't want to do it again. But with my outcome i would.

Hi I'm 52 years old and had acdf c3-6, my biggest issue is diff swallowing , I'm 5 weeks post op and can only take foods purée consistency. I've lost a lot of weight and don't feel like my swallowing is improving. Swallow study pending, I hope this is not permanent.

How long before u could swallow normally?

Thank you so much . I'm having surgery this Friday, March 17, 2017 and I'm scared to death. Your post made Me feel so much better. God bless you

Wow! I'm 7 days post op acdf c6,7 I was in the emergency room last night! I still hurt,... alot. I have a cyst, or something between my vertebra, and my chest, they couldn't see it clearly because of the plate that was put in. I can only take my collar off to shower, I have to wear it 24-7 for at least a month till he can see bone growth. I envy how quickly you've healed. Kinda jealous... hopefully it gets better soon....