Hi, I have a six years old son. He wants us to get him a dog. I am not such a fan of having pets, but beside that something else worries me. My son has never had close contact with any type of animal. What if he is allergic to dogs? Can you tell me something about pet allergies?

Hi, pet allergies are caused by saliva or urine of the pets. They attack eyes or airways. This causes asthmatic symptoms as well as atopic dermatitis. The symptoms of pet allergies occur when touching the fur of the pets. They are: hay fever, eye symptoms like itching and watering eyes, itchy red patches on the skin. Cigarette smoke and polluted air make the allergies worse. There are some ways to prevent pet allergies. Like bathing a dog once a week with pure water or installing some air filters. However, these methods are not one hundred percent certain. Although having a pet is a modern thing, you must be careful. After all, this is your son we are talking about.

go to the dog rescue centre and look around and touch the dogs. Let him stroke any kind, small dog if he sees any. If there's no rashes or allergic reaction he's fine. If you live in a house with a garden a dog would be great. You can also get great excersive walking it! Try to find a dog that's playful that everyone agrees on. I suggest a Labrador, Jack russel or a westie.