I have heard that patient with acute pancreatitis often looks and feels very sick. I know this because I have been diagnosed with this disease on my own. I had symptoms such as swollen and tender abdomen, nausea, vomiting, and fever. I know some severe cases may cause dehydration and low blood pressure, but still I did not have it. Could you help me and say more about this problem with acute pancreatitis?

Acute pancreatitis is serious disease, where the heart, lungs, or kidneys may fail. If bleeding occurs in the pancreas, shock and sometimes-even death follow this condition. Treatment of acute pancreatitis depends on the severity of the attack. If no kidney or lung complications occur, acute pancreatitis usually improves on its own, and treatment, in general, is designed to support vital bodily functions and prevent complications. A hospital stay will be necessary so that fluids can be replaced intravenously, which is extremely important in cases of acute pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis usually begins with pain in the upper abdomen that may last for a few days, and the pain may be severe and may become constant. In addition, it may reach to the back and other areas; it may be sudden and intense or begin as a mild pain that gets worse when food is eaten. Before leaving the hospital, a person will be advised not to drink alcohol and not to eat large meals, which I would recommend to you too. After all signs of acute pancreatitis are gone, the doctor will try to decide what caused it in order to prevent future attacks that might occur in some cases. In some people, the cause of the attack is clear, but in others, more tests are needed to evaluate this.