On June 7 of this year I was hospitalized for acute pancreatitis due to excessive alcohol. I drank heavily Friday night, all of Saturday and fell ill Sunday morning. I only had a sandwich on the Saturday. I was at the hospital for approximately 5 hours receiving intravenous fluids Sunday morning/afternoon. My lipase count was 914 and I do not recall what my amylase count was. My liver enzymes/cells were also spiked. The doctor at the hospital strongly recommended that I stop drinking completely. I was prescribed Tylenol #3 and sent home. Sunday night and Monday I felt rough and took some Tylenol #3 to deal with the abdomen pain. But by Tuesday I was feeling fine and 1 week after my attack I had a second blood test done. All my levels were back to normal (lipase count was 208) and the doctor at the walk-in clinic suggested that I take a month off from drinking. It is now September 27 and I have not had a single drink since my attack. The doctor at the hospital told me to stop drinking for good, while the doctor at the walk-in clinic who did my second blood test told me to take a month off and avoid heavy meals. I am wondering if I can drink anymore (in moderation)? I am 29 years old. I drank heavily between the ages of 17 to 27 but in the past couple of years I did not drink very much. This was my only pancreatitis attack (that I know of). I have no other medical conditions and live a very healthy/active lifestyle. I do not take drugs (prescribed or illegal). I know as doctors you will take the worse case scenario and say that avoiding alcohol completely is my best option but if I went out and had 6 - 12 beers would that probably provoke another attack or be life threatening? If I do decide to start drinking again should I avoid hard alcohol and just stick to beers? Does it matter? When I fell ill I was drinking vodka. I have 2 doctors that have suggested different treatments and am wondering who I should listen to?

I have the same problem except my levels were at 3000 and I was in hospital for 10 days on Diladid (pain medicine) I am a 28 year old female. Vodka did me in too. I have had a glass of red wine since I've been out of the hospital. It has been 3 weeks since I had the attack. I know I need to give it more time before I drink.. I just want to be able to drink on special occasions, vacations, maybe my birthday. But I wonder about hard alcohol too. Is there anyone who has been through this with some advice?
Or anyone who has drank hard alcohol after pancreatitis?

What to do? wrote:

Ok 4 12 years I drank hard everyday, just Vodka and Gold Slauger no beer or anything. Well on Jan 1 09 I had my bout with it and ended up in ER than stayed in the hospital for 2 days. I stopped drinking for about 2 months cold turkey! Well this past weekend I decided to try and have 1 pint of slauger on sat after the Doc said moderation is ok, but not to revert back to my old ways! Well anyways all went great, had a good time no pain and am looking forward to doing it again at the Motley Crue Concert in 2 weeks. I eat normal again now with no problem as well. Never will I drink everyday again, but 1 day a week is my outlook.. I am soooo sick of all these people in here that say "YOU CAN NEVER AGAIN DRINK" BULL ----! I think honestly some cases are certainly worse than others, but I also think that you need to give yourself some healing time after you go out and have a few. Eat good, but have some splurges, test your own self and dont listen to me or any of these other people who try and portray wanna be doctors. I am just letting you guys know how it is going for me. I was so depressed when I was reading these forums after my bout telling me no more drinking, no more heavy meals and so on. I ate a prime rib dinner with all the sides last week as a treat and not a single problem. I wouldnt do it all back to back, and like I said allow some time to go by inbetween if you do it, but for me I am back to normal and loving life again!! Good Luck and God Speed Healing To Ya!!!!!

I too have recently suffered pancreatitis and the prospect of not being able to enjoy the fun of social drinking is really getting to me!

I have just turned 20, and consider myself to be a moderate drinker; perhaps one big night every two weeks or so, and the occaisonal glass beer once a week or so (by big night I mean up to 6 standard drinks (beers, wine or spirits) over a significant period of time). With no trace of Gall stones the doctors have diagnosed that the pancreatitis was caused from alcohol.

My Pancreatitis occurred a night after I had drunk around 5 and a half beers over 7 or more hours (I do not consider this to be excessive). I was hospitalized with the textbook chest/upper abdominal pains and spasms and recorded with a lipase count of up around 3000 on the initial reading. After the 'attack' which lasted around 40mins I had no further pain and have been fine since.

I have now not drunk anything in around a month- I will get some test results in 2 days time to rule out any other cause (ie high calcium or lipids) and after that I will decide whether I choose to drink again or not.

I am finding it really hard fathom a life without alcohol- not that I was dependent to it (I only drink in very social occasions), but the social aspect of my life that it is. The best nights I have had out have been under the influence of alcohol. I am only 20 and feel that there are many more good drunken experiences to be had, it is a year of friends 21sts, it goes hand in hand with traveling... Its very social activity that is a big part of my youth and something I'm not ready to give up.

Anyone else dealing with this? Does anyone know how common reoccurence is? Will I be able to be drunk again?

-Confused young lass.

Here's the issue: Pancreatitis affects everyone differently. I personally had an attack (a REALLY bad one) about 10 years ago when I was 18. I was hospitalized for a week and I felt like I was going to die. The doctors told me no more drinking, but this simply wasn't acceptable to me. It was my first week in college and it was unbearable to hear those words.

I took about 3-4 months off, then began drinking beer pretty moderately (4-6 beers once or twice per week). I slowly escalated my drinking habits to the point where I'd still only drink once or twice a week, but resumed drinking several cocktails after the standard 4-6 beer base. I ate reasonably well, exercised like a madman, and felt great until around last year. I went to Buenos Aires for a week (drank every night), and I had a minor flare up (lipase around 300 or so). I continued drinking through the summer and fall and then went to Rio de Janeiro for New Years (drank every day).

You must realize that by this point, I thought the pancreatitis was behind me. As an 18 year old, my diet was god awful and I was not taking good care of myself, thus I attributed the attack to the poor nutritional support my body was receiving.

Well, in February 2009 I had another attack. Strangely, I hadn't had anything to drink for over a week, but woke up in the middle of the night with those familiar pains -- "No! It couldn't be!". Went to the hospital the next day - my lipase level was around 5-600. They sent me home with pain killers and told me to take it easy - no big meals, no drinking, you know the deal. I was in continuous dull pain for a week, and then all of a sudden my pain escalated SEVERELY. I went back to the hospital and this time they kept me for 2 days, although the pain abated pretty quickly.

I had an edoscopy done shortly after the attack. I have several cysts which have formed and a tiny calcification of the pancreatic tissue. The cysts will go away, but the calcification may not. The gastroendocrinologist didn't seem to be concerned with the results, and told me to abstain from drinking any alcohol until my pancreas heals. I have it in writing.

I have another endoscopy scheduled for August to assess how the healing has gone.

Here's the bottom line: If you suffer from pancreatitis, you ARE allergic to alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin and your body is reacting differently to it than other people. Some people are more sensitive to it than others - this is why it took 10 YEARS for me to develop a second attack after the first.

Note: I'm not ascribing any definitive value to this remedy, but after my first attack I took the following vitamin cocktail DAILY as I read studies that suggested it may prevent further attacks. I stopped taking it roughly 1 year after my first attack, but I recently started again. I suggest you people do the same:

600 mg ORGANIC selenium
9,000 IU beta carotene (from natural source!)
540 mg Vitamin C
270 IU Vitamin E
2g Methionine

Make sure these are from natural sources. "Solgar" is the best brand.

Also you may want to consider Turmeric or Pancreatin with meals.

Good luck, Boozehounds.

Hi. I know exactly what your going through. I got alcohol induced severve acute pancreatitus 18 months ago. I drank heavily for about 4 years and as I'm only 27 was very surprised this happened as other people drink heavily all their lives and never get it. I ended up in hospital for 3 months (intensive care for 3 weeks) due to massive complications such as fluid collections, lung failure, blood poisioning, infections, cysts, bowel failure not to mention the pain and sickness like I never thought possible. I lost so much weight and had to be fed with a tube through my nose and had so many painfull procedures. Since this happened I have not touched a drop for 17 months and believe me it has been very hard. I no longer have the crutch that alcohol gave me and feel very left out at social events such as parties, new year and every other social occasion that people drink at. I do struggle with it everyday but the quality of life I now have through not drinking is amazing. No more agonizing hang overs, shamefull acts done whilst drunk, better appearence and general out look on life. It is very daunting to think I may have to go through my whole life without ever drinking again (the doctors said I would not survive it again if it returned so it is a small price to pay). All i can offer in advice is to prtend your allergic to alcohol and try to never forget what you went through whilst ill. In some repects it was the best thing that ever happened to me as I now have completely changed my life around and fear ever becoming that drunk person again. I wish you good luck and good health. x ;-)

I also am in the same category as most of you people. I will try to give a quick sum up of my story. I got sent to the hospitasl about 10 months ago after I had a loooong night of chuggin beers. I started getting a horrible pain in my upper(left) chest that felt like i was getting stabbed by a knife. I thought i was havign a heart attack and kinda felt like i was gonna go into shock. Previous to that night i admit i was a hradcore drinker. I just graduated from college and was drinking about 100 beers a week. I would literally drink almost everyday and about 16-18 beers a night. ( so dumb i know). Anyway they said i had acute pancreatitis and that I should stop drinking. The weird thing is i was released fromt he hospital after only 1 hour, but anyway the pain went away after a week. But it actually would suddenly come back off and on for a few min every now and again. I stopped drinking cold turkey for almost 3 months. But I am around a lot of ppl that drink all the time and before I knew it I was drinking again. I started off only having a couple..maybe once or twice a week. Then started drinking a lot about a month ago. I have been feeling those bad pains again but stubbornly have tried to ignore them. Lat night I drank over 16 beers and woke up feeling like sh*t. Not only did I have horrible anxiety but a bad pain in my side again. I am scared that I have been so dumb by continuing to drink that I have chronic not instead of acute. I dont have a lot of the systems as chronic pancreatitis but Im scared I messed up by drinking a lot again. Also when I was 19 I had my gullbladder removed because of gullstones and cholestrol pockets. I think I just ignore certain things because even with living these bad lifestyles I remain in really good shape and am still athletic. Can having my gullbladder out be even worse for getting pancreatitis? I just have to put my faith in god and pray ill get better i guess cause I ran out of my insurance so check-ups and hospital visits are kind out of the question right now. Sucks that we all suffer from this c**p, while tons of ppl i know abuse themselves so much worse and are perfect..o well i guess

I started drinking around the age of 16, i am now 24 almost 25 years old. I would drink a bottle of tequilla every single night. Then one morning i woke up and had these really bad cramps in my upper abdoman. I went to the hospital and they told me it was accute alchohol of the pancreas. the doctor told me that i should discontinue drinking as 1 more beer could kill me. I stopped for about a year and a half and then slowly began drinking again. Sooner or later i ended up drinking every thursday friday and saturday. it then escalated to sundays as well. i had another pancreatic attack about 2 years later when i was 20. i waited till my 21st birthday to drink again. i was fine when i woke up. so i was like yes i can drink. i promised myself to only drink on special occasions. Well that didn't work i began drinking almost everyday again. i turned 23 2 years later and about half way through the age 23 i had another one. Im not 24 and i was drinking every weekend "weekend warrior" and i have had about 3 pancreatic attacks this year alone. I took up cagefighting and since my last one have slowed way down on my drinking because i train to much. Then last weekend me and a friend drank 2 - 1 liter bottles of captain morgans and a 1.75 liter of vodka and 2 12 packs of beer. I felt fine after the weekend. Then tuesday night i drank 2 beers and wednesday morning i woke up in the middle of the night, with diarhea and puking up blood as well as horrible horrible pains. i thought i had the flu... i went to the hospital and it was pancreatitis, i now have a cagefight tomorrow at 730 pm and im sitting here in horrible pain. so i say you can drink but keep it moderate and only on special occasions. (I AM NOT A DOCTOR) so that may not apply to everyone.

hey guys,
alot of this is sounding very similar to my situation. Im 27 and have drank above average through my 20s and maybe a bit heavier the last few years. And yeah 4 days ago.. after new years eve where i drank more than usual but wasnt passed out or anything, the next morning i had intense pains from my abdomen, thought it was either me stomach or diaphram... found it hard to breath and thought i was going to die at the time :S went to hospital for 2 days and since then seems like my pancreas has recovered very quickly. Last 2 years ive had a very bad diet,,, triple cheeseburgers with fries and coke almost everysingle day... for the last 2 years... :S and all that fat apparently makes the pancreas work much harder.... that with the fact that maybe i had too many painkillers over the years and heavy drinking probably all contributed to the pancreatitis. before it was all explained to me i found it really strage that it happened to me as i could write an endless list off people i know who drink much harder and longer than i do.....

anyway,,., that gay thing is... like the guy who posted this,, i have varying opinions from varying doctors.. some say moderation after a couple of months, some say never again.. and i must admit.. the thought of never drinking again is very depressing.... i turned on the tv the other day and must have seen people drinking alcohol 9 time is the space of 30 minutes...

and that even gayer thing is im about to go away to america with mates for 4 weeks!!...... :-( so suddenly no drinking on our big overseas drinking trip"?!?! omg.. kill me now... i dont even get a chance to let my pancreas heal for a while first.....

i cant drink and its going to kill me inside cos all my mates will be :-(

Hey all

Well its somewhat comforting to read other people stories and realise your not totally alone with this. Jesus Id never heard of anything like it before it happened to me. I was in hospital two years ago on New Years Eve after getting too merry over Xmas and ended up in hospital for a week. Was told to give it up completely and became very depressed, I was only 26 and not an alcoholic, just a good old social boozer and I live in Ireland where everyone drinks to excess so couldnt understand why this happened to me.

I was full of self pity and still am I suppose. I gave up for a few mths but then went backpacking around central america and started drinking again. After 3 mths of progressively heavier drinking I ended up being hospitalised again with pancreatitis and the 2nd time was a million times worse, thought I was gonna die. I had to be airlifted off an island in Honduras to a mainland hospital and everything...Came home and gave up again but lately Ive been drinking every few weeks, at social occasions likes birthdays, xmas parties etc...and not just one or two, getting quite drunk...just wanting to forget it all...On New Years Eve I got hammered and the next day I had a panic attack thinking I was gonna end up in hospital again, it was horrendous. Im fine but I just worry Im not gonna get through this. Not sure what to do...I think I need to give it up, I dont wanna risk getting a chronic condition and my family and friends are already so worried about me...just wish this had never happened...

I had the same thing after drinking red bull and vodka at a wedding, was in hospital for 5 days. I am 31 and was a weekend warrior before the event as I have two kids and generally don't go out that much anymore, just for work functions and some weekend fun. Drank a lot in college like most folks but have calmed down a lot. Mostly drink light beer but do some shots here and there. Anyway, it happened in 07' and I have drank since, actually I have had a few nights that I drank quite a bit, shots, mixed drinks, etc. Really hasn't changed my drinking style that much at all but I am off Red Bull forever and do take it easier on the hard liquor. My doctor in the hospital was in his early 30's too and said that all his frat brothers would be in hospital every weekend so it had to be something else that caused it, could have been the red bull and another connection, didn't think I was alcoholic or anything.

Let me add that this sounds exactly like what happened to me. I had my first attack around Christmas 2006. I woke up that morning and knew something was terribly wrong. Eventually after ruling out other possible causes the doctor told me it was alcohol related pancreatitis and that I should give up drinking completely for 2 months, and only drink 1-2 glasses per day after that. Well I begrudgingly accepted that, but due to various reasons (not the least of which is my lack of resistance to peer pressure) I started drinking slowly again (after waiting 2 months like the doctor said and getting tests to confirm that everything was back to normal). I was living with my father at the time and I started off with 1 beer at night with him a few times a week while watching TV. After a couple weeks of that I made it 2 beers a few times a week. I love beer not just because I can get drunk but I honestly enjoy it for its taste as well. Not to say I don't like getting drunk with my friends since I am still rather young (21 during Christmas 2006) so eventually I tested out getting inebriated with all of them and I was fine. Assuming it was a fluke and that my doctor was simply giving me the most foolproof advice he could, I continued this (not every day of course, but on some weekends and not enough to have a hangover). I had a 2nd attack after drinking during New Year's Eve 2008 (to 2009). It wasn't as bad as the first one, but the doctor told me that I better knock it off. I now live in Japan, where people love to get drunk for almost any reason so it's very sad to not be able to drink. I wish there were a more concrete guideline to what actually causes it since I was able to drink for many years in college (and high school) fine and between the two attacks as well without a problem.

I drank heavily thursday, friday, and saturday night. I woke up sunday with a fever of 103 and really sick all week, caughing up lots of phlem. I went to the hospital 5 days later after a hell week on friday and the doctor and said i had pneumonia and high lipase/amalase, so he suggested pancreatitis too, although i had no pain. I was in the hospital for 3 days then released. A week later i had an upset stomach and went to the doctor again and he said i had a bacterial infection. They tested my lipase and it was stil slightly elevated. Was this pancreatitis? Was it caused by alcohol or pneumonia?

Hi everyone, I would stongly advise anyone who has had an attack of acute pancreatitis due to alcohol to cut out drinking totally. I had a very bad attack three years ago which resulted in most of my pancreas being destroyed and a nasty operation one year later. Pancreatitis a very serious illness and a sign that your body can't cope with alcohol, but if you cut out alcohol completely you shouldn't get another attack. In my opinion drinking is just not worth the risk. I haven't drunk alcohol for 3 years and I haven't found it that difficult.

I agree somewhat that people like us who's bodies obviously have an allergic reaction to the sugar break down in alcohol should find alternative methods, I started getting high rather than drunk much better, no more hang overs. well my story is simple I never was much of a drinker, but when I would drink it was usually imported beers, I went through a time period in my life from age 24 to 34 when I drank about a 6 pack almost every night maybe like 5 nights out of the week, I always noticed also I would get a buzz much faster since some people have more sensitivity to alcohol than others doesn't mean I'm a light weight by any means I am 6'1" 220 lbs and was a body builder up till age 27. I am currently 49 and started drinking captian morgan shots for about the last 8 months, I would buy 2 of the largest bottles don't know exact amount since like I said I am not much of a drinker but I started using it for a toothache which I had to have pulled, then 1 month after that another toothache so Captain M. became a close friend and just 3 weeks ago I drank 3/4 of one of those full large bottles and ontop of that I gorged out on food since my doctor put me on Lyrica for nerve pain, I also have chronic back and sciatica pain and have been on high doses of narcotics since 1997 after an accident leaving me disabled permanently, I don't know if the combination of all the pain meds and medications like Blood pressure and xanax for anxiety had anything to do with it but 3 weeks ago I was awaken at 5:15am with severe abdominal pain in the upper stomach diaphram area and could only take short breaths, wife and daughter rushed me to the hospital and admitted, unfortunatly I was treated like s@* since they probably thought it was something I brought on myself and it was my fault so there was little caring sympathy for me! not to mention after they stopped the dilauded for pain after day 2 and refused to give me my pain meds that I had already been on for my bad back for 13 years, I went AMA and left telling them that the quality of care was lacking and I can lay in my own bed at home in pain and atleast have my own pain meds instead of having them take control and try to wean me off something I needed. had I not kept my narcotics in a Brinks Safe at home that not even my wife knows the combination I would have had her run my meds up to the hospital and probably stayed for further test, but when the doc's started to become an a**hole and controlling I didn't feel that was very appropriate when in acute pain on top of my back pain. Doctor couldn't figure out why 1mg. of dilaudid wasn't helping my pain when I wasn't being given my usual dose of 300mg. of oxycontin a day that my body had already built a tolerance to? you would think anay doctor that knew anything about narcotics knows there is no ceiling dose or maximum because the body builds a tolerance and some people are at 1000mgs. of the same drug over years. anyway I admit I probably drank more that night than I should have but it was never in one 3 hour setting it was over a period of the entire day before that I had drank that and we had went to Red Lobster and I gorged on food since it was our 25 year anniversary of being married, and when I got home like a dummy had a before bed complete meal one of those t.v. dinner type meals and then a hot dog. I had noticed that also the last 3 months I had gained like 15 pounds because my diet had gotten worse because the new medication he put me on made me eat like a horse, but I am sure the alcohol added to this onset of the acute pancreatitis. So I have not had a drink since but plan on drinking my C.M. again after a month or two of letting my body recover, I am eating healthy now but I will continue to drink just not over eat or over drink like last time. I never had pain like that before and wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy. But I think some people's bodies are more sensitive to alcohol and we don't have to keep up with our friends, who's counting? if they want to drink 20 beer's let them why you sit and nurse a six pack. I think if you have had one of these attacks it shouldn't be hard to remember the pain it can cause to help remind you to consume at a slower pace than others and less quantity. I'm sure stopping alcohol entirely would be best but like some of you, our youth and social drinking is just a part of our lives and that might not be possible. Just drink responsibly and watch the foods you eat while drinking, like dairey and high fat foods, greasey hamburgers and fries not recommended with the alcohol, one or the other!
Good luck and stay healthy