Hello, folks. My friend was admitted to the hospital since he had had some renal problems. I think he was diagnosed acute kidney failure. I was wondering how this syndrome is diagnosed. Does anyone know how? I will really appreciate all your suggestions since I don't have much medical knowledge. Bye!

Hello to you too. Sometimes acute renal failure doesn't have any symptoms. Symptoms can be caused by a condition that caused renal failure. Blood examinations are also very important. The levels of urea (BUN-blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine are very high. Since the kidneys fail as filters, the levels of electrolytes can be high or low. When the failure lasts long, then anemia can occur. Urine examination is also important for diagnosis. Electrolytes and casts in urine are significant. Ultrasound and other imaging techniques can aslo be important. I hope your friend will feel better.