My cousin was complaining about the pain in the upper abdomen. He keeps telling us that for a few days, how severe his pain was. Since he started to looks and feels very sick, finally he visited his doctor. There he was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. This sounds like something serious to me, so I would like to hear a little bit more about meaning of acute pancreatitis.

That is true that acute pancreatitis can be a severe and life-threatening illness with many complications. Acute pancreatitis occurs more often in men than women, that is what statistics says. This disease is usually caused by gallstones or by drinking too much alcohol. Some other possible causes of pancreatitis should be carefully examined so that appropriate treatment can begin. Treatment depends on the severity of the attack that patient is complaining. It is possible that acute pancreatitis improves on its own if no kidney or lung complications occur. Treatment, in general, is designed to support vital bodily functions and preventing any possible complications. In severe cases, patient may require intravenous feeding for some time, while the pancreas slowly heals. This process is called total parenteral nutrition, which is not used so commonly. Now you might conclude by your own which type of acute pancreatitis your cousin has, according to therapy his doctor recommended.

Hi there,

For almost 5 years now i've been having recurrent acute pancreatitis, so I know first hand how painful it can get.

Basically... in most cases yes it is likely due to gallstones or alcohol, but sometimes it may be due to other factors. Often times when admitted to the hospital, the first thing they will do (after blood test) is to put the patient on a no liquid, no food diet until the pain fades and the lipase levels drop (lipase is basically like "fats" in your blood that are used in pancreas). Anyways, oftentimes morphine will be also administered.

The good thing is, most ppl who have acute pancreatitis have it once... and if they watch out for the alcohol, they shouldnt ever see it again. The bad news is... its one of the most painful (according to my doctors anyways) ailments you can get. For me anyways, it feels like someone is taking a knife and plunging it into your entire abdomen. Its often characterized by a increasing constant pain either right below the middle of your ribcage (where the 2 halves meet) or right below the left rib cage.

Normally all pancreatitis is is swelling of the pancreas because it is inflammed. With time it will calm down as long as it does not have to overwork itself (aka. by producing enzymes to digest food -- hence the no food diet). Most of the time ppl will be in the hospital for bout a week or 2 so its not too too bad. As soon as the pain starts to drop, they gradually increase the diet by introducing liquids, then semi-solids (jello/puddings) then solids back into ur diet

hope that helps!

Hi All,

I am having acute pancreatitis since 10 years, i get this attack once in two years. but it is mild and recovers back by itself with couple of days of hospitalization. i would like to know for how many years this is going to get continued. I am strictly non alcoholic and non smoker. is there anybody with acute pancreatitis for many year (like more than mine). also let me know does it get cured once for all by itself ?????

what is the expected life time with having acute pancreatitis, does it shorten the life span of a person.

does mild acute pancreatitis cause damage to any other organs, as of now my other organs are fine.

Please let me know some info on these.

Thanks,
Raj.

Acute Pancreatitis indeed is very dangerous and life threatening condition. Its recurring nature makes it even more painful. I had my first ever attach of AP in Jan this year and was hospitalised for 10 days. My condition was stable and improved in the first week. But as soon as doctors allowed my liquids (I was on IV for a week) I collapsed and docs said they alomst lost me due to multi-organ failure (which lasted for 15 minutes in my case). I survived because my heart was strong enough to cope the trauma( Im a long distance runner). This was not all. After I was back home, my docs suggested life long precaution of sticking to a low-fat diet and abstaining hard drink in all form. Though its been two months and I am ok now, feel the sword hanging over head all the time. Even a day of over indulgence can lead to A P again. Please who've never got AP should be extremely thankful to God!

I have acute pancreatitis and i get it ALL the time, even with a diet. And they dont know what causes it because i have no gallbladder and i dont drink....

I had Acute Pancreatitis in August of this year 2009 i was in intensive care for several day's and in hospital for three weeks My doctor is a specalist in this subject he has advised i never drink again and stick to a lot fat diet. i didn't really drink anyway and have had my Gallbladder removed i still cannot eat certain thing's especailly cheese or anything with it cant stand fatty things either they make me sick i am back to normal now and hope it never comes back if you eat well and dont drink you should be

I've had AP for years. I haven't had an attack for over 10 years but my pancreas is acting up again. I hope I get through the night. I don't drink, I never had trama to the stomach area. Those arent all the causes. I don't care what doctor's say but I have had diabetes since 1984 and that can cause enough problems that if you eat too many fats and sugars you can get an attack.
Talk to your doctor about Lopid and Vytorin.. it has kept me away from an attack for over 10 years. I got sloppy and went off my diet and now I might pay for that.
It is the worst pain in the world. It feels like something is trying to push its way out of your chest area. Ever see the movie Alien? I wish you all good luck... stay away from fats and sugars.

Hi. I have AP but luckily i have only ever had one attack. It was the most severe pain i have ever felt and the pain actually caused me to pass while i was being driven to the ER in the middle of the night. Once a cat scan and blood test wer done i was told i had AP caused by multiple tiny gallstones that had blocked the duct and caused my enzymes to go sky high. I was in the hospital for about 4 days as we waited for my enzymes to decrease enough so that i could have my gallbladder removed. Since then i havent had any issues and i thank God because it really was horrible. When my doctor told me what it was he said that he has been told its twice as painful as natural childbirth (needless to say, when i have kids ill be taking that epidural haha). 

-Courtney

Had my first attack this year... Pretty lame... Was in the hopsital for 3 weeks... Gonna say by far the most painful thing i've had happen... Hope I don't have another attack... Wish the doctors would believe I wasn't drinking to cause the attack ... I do a check up once a month and every month they ask if I drank O.O like hell I'm gonna go through that pain to drink.... enzymes were at 14,000 dunno if thats high the doctor was surprised when he saw that. My enzymes have been bouncing from 300 to 1000 the last 5 months... Had an mri done and a few otherthings they haven't seen anything yet to have caused it.

Has NOBODY ever had pancreatitis?

What about if someone has been in the hospital for it for almost 5 weeks?

Hi I've had Acute Pancreatitis only once in my life. Mine was very severe and it happened after pregnancy due to Gallstones in my gallbadder. It plugged the vile duct, the tube that connects your gallbladder to the pancreas so my pancreas got enlarged and so did my spleen and my gallbadder they all got so enlarged that they all got damaged and I had to get them removed along with 30% of my pancreas. The Doctor said that by removing the gallbladder it would be unlikely for me to get a recurrent episode since that was the cause of my case. Hope this helps and God bless and you have seems to be Chronic Pancreatitis it's a gradual enlargement of the Pancreas but you should look into that. By the way I don't think you should be worried about your life span since yes true, Doctors cure you but, God is their guide, it's through him and his mercy that we're all alive. God bless you ☺️

I've had AP once.  It was finally determined that mine happened because of the diabetes medication (Victoza) I was taking.  I don't drink & don't have a gallbladder.  Several diabetes meds state plainly that they can cause AP.  My doctor keeps changing my diabetes meds in hope of finding one that works as well as keeps the AP from coming back.

Check your tryglicerides, you should be under 150. When doctors ran tests to diagnose my AP, my tryglicerides were over 8000!