Hi, maybe somebody could clear up some things for me. My father is 71 years old. A few months ago he had a heart surgery. After the surgery he was confused, disoriented and he has experience the memory loss, not total but he has some holes in memory. The doctor says he has dementia and delirium in the same time. How is that possible?

Not just that it is possible but it is, unfortunately, the reality of large number of old people. It can happen especially after surgery or heavy illness. For the long time there is an opinion that those two conditions are separated and that they have no correlation. But now most of doctors think that dementia can be caused by delirium.

My mother had UTI resulting in Delirium & hosptilization.Suddenly her condition are simillar to dementia.I think their is connection between these two.