I have noticed there is something wrong with me so I visited doctor. I did not want to put diagnosis on my own, but I wanted to be treated. However, my doctor diagnosed me with herpes infection. He prescribed me medicine I have never heard for, so I want to find out something about it. He told me to use Acyclovir, so please can you tell me anything, how I should use it and possible side effects.

Acyclovir is used to treat herpes infections of the skin, lip, and genitals, as well as herpes zoster, and chickenpox. It does not cure herpes infections as you might think, but Acyclovir decreases pain and itching and promotes healing. Topical acyclovir does not prevent the recurrence of sores but may decrease pain and itching. To achieve this, it should be applied when the earliest symptoms first appear. Oral acyclovir decreases the frequency and severity of recurrent sores. However, it is used only by people with severe herpes infections because of possible adverse effects. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses, not just those I told you. Acyclovir comes as an ointment for use on the skin and as a tablet, capsule, and liquid to take by mouth, but it is all the same medicine. You should simply follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take acyclovir exactly as directed, and important is to use this medication as soon as possible after symptoms appear. Side effects are burning, stinging, itching, or rash when ointment is applied, together with headache, upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea or loose stools.