I took Adderall XR for six years and am currently 52 days clean. My dosage was 65-70 mg.

How long until my energy is back and I am feeling "normal" again? Anyone have personal experiences as far as that goes?

Also, how much weight did you gain and does it ever come off naturally? Any thoughts on metabolism?

Thanks, everyone.

well i can say a lil bit on this i have been taking the pill for one year and i havent got a refill n like a week and i feel totally horrible email

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I've been off of it for three days. I was taking around 20 - 30 mg a day. On Monday I took the last of it. I've been exhausted, sleepy and lacking all drive, energy and motivation since then. I'm exhausted. I try to work and fall asleep. I have a major book contract and I have to finish it. I was on it for about three weeks. Any idea when this will END? god help me!

I have also been taking various forms of amphetamines since 2000. At my highest dosage I was takiing 3 20mg ir and 2 20mg XR per day, now I am down to one 30mg ir and one 30mg xr (morning hot start, staying power for work). If I happen to take an extra dose or lose one or otherwise come-up short on adderall for the month day one off is ok, almost normal, day two thru - eight is the longest I have gone without getting my refill. I have to say that energy to do the simplest things like walk up stairs or do laundry, focusing is especially taxing. I also have med-severe sleep apnea, I have a CPAP but have not used it for a few years as I never would sleep with the nasal mask and have slacked on getting a better nose and mouth mask. I think that would help my energy level, but I would not suggest doing cold turkey from adderall if you want to keep you job. Its not as horrible but as debilitating as coming off opiates. Getting out of bed will be the most of your worries, getting to work the least. Anyone wanting to get off adderall, if you are on just XR's, switch to a twice per day IR thats 5 mg less than your XR's , and taper down 5mg at a time over a few months to save ur self any adverse effects. If you are on IR cut down on MG and X per day, from four to three , three to two, two too two (divide by 2) eventually in all cases get down to 5mg twice a day, then once, then off.

Cold turkey ur gonna feel the fatigue for the ammount of months in years you were on adderall, not guaranteed but the common result. You should never stop any medication without doctors consult, esp mind altering ones, such as Ritalin, adderall, dextroamphetamine, and SSRI or NRIs like Wellbutrin, Celexa, Prozac, just like certain disorders of the brain medication is the only fix. and it only works when taken, you do not heal and stopping after several years will leave you in the same predicament. In these cases, such as mania/bi polar, schizophrneia, or ADD/ADHD you will always suffer from it and its not just (in the case of ADD/HD) a learning disability in school, but at work, as an adult, getting bills paid, managing your multi task life, a little add is good, but uncontrolled will do more harm.

I would say unless you are at sever risk of death due to the stimulants and the supposed connection too respiratory or heart issues, why stop taking it. I can see managing your dose better, taking what u need not enough to feel speedy. As we get older we tend to ask for less medication as countless studies show. 35 and under usualy say their affective dosage is anywhere from 10 to 20 mg higher than the same symptoms in a 65 year old, as well as potential for abuse and over use..

I love how no one answers the question.

No sh*t!!!

Does anyone answer questions on these board, or are we just supposed to agree with whatever the problem is, and offer support?

I think the problem is that after so many years of taking these meds, you created a new normal, so now after stopping them... You'll have to create another new normal. After taking adderrall for about 2 years I quit, the first few days I felt horrible,I kept eating and sleeping. I then realized I couldn't live life like this. I started running and eating more fruits and veggies... I still don't feel like I did when I was on the meds, but I honestly feel better, some things are more challenging than others, but overall I feel like an improved me. Things will get better once u accept that life is going to be different, and you need to make changes to make it work for u.

One word... YOGA!  I just quit (day 3) Yes, I am very tired, fulltime student.  I am 5'3 and weigh 91.4 lbs.   Start off with yoga for beginners, sweat, get something that detoxifies your muscles and organs.  Good luck to all.  The drug is evil!  I was taking 2 30mg a day for almost 4 years.  I know with God's help and Yoga, I can do this!  We all can!

Good luck. I have used yoga also to quit Adderall. I was taking it for almost 10 years. I have now been off of Adderall for almost a year. God, a lot of sunshine, yoga, and fresh fruits and vegetables have helped me to recover. I wish I would have never started taking it and know it will take time for my body to recover from 10 years of posion from pharmaceuticals. Again, good luck.

The sluggish feeling is what happens when you go cold turkey. I'm a 35 year old woman who's been on Adderall since I was 16. I'm glad to read that there are others who are trying to break free from this medication.

For me, going off this med needs to be GRADUAL. Take as long as you need to. I'm giving myself 4-5 months to taper off. (Currently in month two). 

Yoga is definitely the answer. I try and practice every other day. I've also started an elimination diet to ensure I'm consuming whole foods. I'd also suggest taking a vitamin or supplement. Sometimes the brain can attach to the ritual of swallowing a pill every morning. Sounds silly, but at this point I'm in search of anything to keep me on track to get off this stuff.

I don't expect things will ever be "normal". I mean, I've been on Adderall for 19 years. Since I've started this process I can feel the fog moving into my brain again. Simple tasks have become extremely challenging. Work is tough. And yes, I'm a little tired... But not to the level it would be if I just quit cold turkey. Even though general life has become harder, I'm still 100% committed to discontinuing my relationship with Adderall. It's time to find out what my brain is really like.

Anyway, long story longer: take care of yourself, yoga, long walks, exercise (circulation is key), water, healthy food, vitamins etc.

Best of luck. Thanks to everyone who's commented on this post.

That's interesting. I usually do Ashtanga yoga 5 times a week, except when I don't have my Adderall. The Adderall motivates me to get to class, to practice the difficult transitions and postures while at home, and to focus on my practice. Without it, I can barely get out of bed.

I choose to quit taking Adderall and Vyvanse the infamous COLD TURKEY way about a year and a half ago.

I stopped taking it because it was giving me chest pain. My dose was 40 mg Vyvanse and 10 mg Adderall up to 3 times daily. I took that dose for about 2 or 3 years.

In the first 3 days after quitting it hurt to move. I slept 14 hours a day and the only reason I woke up is because my 4 year old son woke me up when he woke up. I had all the side effects depression, fatigue ( the fatigue is grueling it's almost like you have to focus on the energy it takes to breath in the first week or so). I would be willing to bet I had a seizure or 2 in the first month. I worked the night shift in a residential home for people with special needs. I was allowed to sleep at night on the couch when I was working night shift. I can remember laying on the couch watching tv half awake half asleep feeling like yuck and I remember twitching and shaking for a couple seconds and thinking I bet I just had a seizure then thinking I would have to get up to do something about it, oh well... The only reason I did get up is to eat. Like others I was ravenously hungry. If you want to win that hot dog eating contest in New York just quit taking Adderall a couple days before lol...

In the months that followed month 3 - 5 I gained 30 lbs. I quit my job focused on my son and slept allot. I had a good support system. I had an understanding long suffering mom who is a nurse was willing to put up with me being depressed, exhausted, having panic attacks etc... and help me with my son.

Around month 8 - 10 after quitting I was satiated with sleep 7 - 10 hours a night was enough and I started running and working out again. I lost the 30 lbs by eating salads, drinking a Sheetz Latte and praying (I'm religious) to god everyday for strength.

About 12 months after quitting I got an awesome job in my field. Teacher's Assistant for Special Needs kids with ADHD and other mental illnesses. I did good and got a promotion because I think that is where my natural skills and talents are because at one time I too was once a kid with ADHD and emotional problems.

I think we are all made for a purpose. People with ADHD are different I know I am. We just need to find our nitch. There is an old bible proverb that says "A live dog is better than a dead lion." Take from it what you will.

I am doing ok now a year and a half out from quitting Adderall. It was a journey but I am glad I took it.

Honestly there no easy way to answer your question.I have been off add medication for a year and it's still challenge. It will get better after a couple of weeks or so depending on your body. I suggest excerise for a hour a day along with doing green smoothies and green teas along with Yerba mate tea :). There some supplements that you can take as well. Like omega, iron and zinc but always consult with a doctor when it comes to supplement. Good luck. Keep being stimulant free it really worth it. I don't believe psychiatric drug are the way to heal your body . That my option and I know some will disagree but it true. I just advise ppl to do there research before getting on these drugs

Cuz they are hard to get off .

Sorry for the typos lol

This is not true. I was prescribed adderall xr for 10 years (first at 40mg a day, then dropped to 30mg a day) I decided to get off the meds because i felt like i was dependent on them, and I am getting older (just turned 30) and worried about the impact it could have on my heart.
I felt really tired for about 5 days, on day 6 there was a shift. I am now on day 12 and feel completely normal. I actually am finding that I have more consistent energy than I did while on the drug, which I attribute to sleeping better. One suggestion I have is to eat a high protein/low sugar diet, drink some coffee, exercise, take B vitamins, fish oil, and magnesium. Also, I have started taking SAM-e to help restore dopamine and reduce depression. I think it has made all the difference.