I have heard for one case where guy was addicted to Gravol. Since I didn’t know this drug can be abused too that really surprised me. I thought it is freely prescribed for preventing nausea and vomiting. That’s why I would like to know something about this medication. Is it true it can cause addiction?

Gravol is trade name for nonscription drug dimenhydrinate. This one and some of similar drugs are used to prevent and treat nausea and vomiting. It is true some people abuse these drugs because large doses can produce a “high” and hallucinations. Helping fact is those are not expensive and are easy to obtain. Also, it is true that chronic use of dimenhydrinate or Gravold can result in addiction like tolerance, dependence and withdrawal. If someone uses this drug for more than a few days he can develop tolerance to it. He will need to take larger doses to feel the same effects. When dependent users stop taking Gravol, they experience withdrawal symptoms such as excitability, weakness and discomfort, poor appetite, stomach cramps and nausea. As you see it is possible to addict of Gravol, so everyone should be careful while using this drug. Pharmacists keep this drug behind the counter trying to prevent the abuse of Gravol.

No, you can't be addicted to gravol. In Canada, it is not kept behind the counter in many pharmacies. Of course, in your own mind, you can feel addicted. I've never felt a high, but it's been useful to help with sleep. It is better than buying the more expensive sleep aids in which the main ingredient is just gravol. . . And in fact rather than a high, if I do not go to sleep after taking it, I usually feel somewhat irritable. Been taking it for decades off and on with no problems.

susa wrote:

BS, you can definitely be addicted. Not at regular doses, perhaps, but att 300-600mg a day, users report EXTREMELY vivid hallucinations (seeing and even interacting with things that simply aren't there).
See http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Dimenhydrinate.shtml

Just because they are over thecounter does not mean you cant become addicted pharmisists will still despence them to you 100 at a time weekly if they stop selling them to an indiviaul they just go to another drugstore and get they should by giving by script only

The idea of becoming addicted to Gravol is ridiculous. First off, the "high" you are talking about is EXTREMELY dysphoric, and sedating. Most people can't stay awake long enough to enjoy said high after dosing like that. Most people who have tried this have NO desire to repeat the experience. Possibly if you took it for sleep every night at doses higher than that recommended then upon cessation you might have some insomnia for a short time. However if you are taking it for sleep, the jokes on you as there is a much better drug that is also OTC. Diphenhydramine. Dimenhydrinate(Gravol) is just diphenhydramine bonded to a xanthine(theophylline to be exact) theophylline is a drug similar to caffeine. The reason this drug was designed this way, was that the creators hoped the theophylline would counteract the drowsiness brought on by the diphenhydramine. As you can see however, diphenhydramine won that battle. But if you are taking Gravol to get high, then I'm sorry; ********** if you think that form of intoxication is better than sobriety. And I'm not some sober crusader, or holy roller, I've been through a 12 step program once or twice myself, but sheesh if you're addicted to gravol, then go get some help. Although I don't know this for sure, taking gravol everyday is probably pretty benign, at least better than smoking I suspect. Who am I to say anything though.

***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting**

I find it quite hilarious many people think you cannot get high of this drug. As a user who used this drug recreational I know in personal experience you can . If taken enough pills say 8-15 you dont sleep infact your restless most people experience audio hallucinations and some visual. You can be talking to someone who isnt there you can see scary things like bugs zombies ect whatever. Its addicting and mentally shuts down your body youre in a dreaming state awake. Sadly they should make this product only behind the counter and not freely to peoples use. There is lots of information on the web just simply type the name in google, you can find many reports on this drug through

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

If you really think about it you can get addicted to almost anything. In a lot of cases it can be both mental dependency or physical. In regards to gravel you most definitely can get addicted. I speak from experience. I went from taking it casually, to having a lot everyday for months. Although, my reasons were irrational fears of vomiting and self medicating depression, the result was the same: I was addicted. As soon as I went off it I was extremely irritable and even went back on it. Once I was off for good I had symptoms like nausea, shakiness, mood swings, loss of appetite, and being even more depressed.
With like any drug you pretty much have to be careful about how much you are taking.

I've been taking Gravol daily for 6 years now. From my experience I can say that it's tremendously addictive!

Addiction is very much possible. I started out on 15-25 pills a day then with my tolerance I went up to using at least 50pills I was not normal I hallucinated ppl many times I even interacted with them and carried on with what seems to be normal conversations but in reality my speech was f***d I couldn't ebb pronounce my own name all perspective on reality was more than distorted I tried quitting then before I new it I was spending hundreds of dollars a week to sustain my addiction I figured out my little equations to get good highs and figured out how much coffe to drink to stay awake when I tried quitting I drank more coffee (8cups atleast a day) this lasted 4days and I nor slept for a week needless to say I sometimes find myself starring at the pharmacy thinking about buying a few packs and drifting off into my world again but I wasn't the same I was a zombie and I was whacky nerves fuckd and my heart would jump out of my chest before I stopped for good I was taking apprx. 70-100 pills of 50 mg dimenhydrinate noname anti nausea pills and a coffe for every 10 pills. Trust me gravel can be fun but be very careful the same rules apply there's withdrawal highs and lows increase tolerance and it kills brain cells when u hallucinate that's u overdosing and u can die I talks to my doctor and she told me. My symptoms sometimes described strokes. And early signs of heart failure.

My wife took it over 2 years on 1-2 pills a day to control nausea induced by a benign brain tumor while waiting for surgery. Two months after a successful surgery she stopped taking gravol. She then experienced insomnia (still on going), which doctors think it could be a withdrawal symptom over long term use of gravol even at very small quantity (15-100mg per day), but not sure if it is physical addiction or purely mental.

From experience, I can tell you that Gravol can be addictive. I was addicted to it. The first time I used 10 Gravols, I was sick, and passed out, but I kept taking it and developed a tolerence to it, I became addicted, the withdrawal from is hell...literally. I dont recommend it to anyone. I wish I never tried Gravol, I wish all this nightmare never happened to me. I am now trying to quit it. Its really dificult, because of the withdrawal symptom. So please do not try to use this drug, it screwed up my life. I have had ceizures, I have hallucinated, I almost got arrested because I was disfunctional in society and people didnt know what was up with me..not agood drug.

i took 50 gravol i just bought from the pharmacy over the counter once. i remember sitting at the mall staring at the floor, and suddenly the pattern in the marble stated moving on me. it was extremely hard to move, i had to concentrate hard just to move my hand over to scratch my face. and i could barely walk, i was falling over like i was EXTREMELY drunk. 
It was really freighting, and probably one of my worst highs ever. i remember i caused a scene somehow and there was a group of people infront of me asking me if i needed an ambulance. i just cant remember why or how they knew. then that night was bad, i remember having conversations with my mom and sister, but actually realizing that they weren't in the same room... i was just hearing them. and i also got lost in my dark room i couldnt find the door handle for a very long time, and ended up knocking over and breaking my lamp. 
i liked them in small doses before this incident. now i absolutely hate them, its such a dirty feeling high. 

not true my fiance is addictied to gravol and he stays awake for the whole high and it is not very pleasent.

hello i am very concerned about my fiance he has been addicted to gravol since i have been with him and possibly a few years before i met him i didnt find out till last year i have been with him for 2 and a half years i need help i dont know how to get him off. can he just stop taking them or do i need to ween him off of them, and do you know what long term abuse of gravol can do to your body and mind? can it cause permanent damage?