Could a person become addicted to Ultram even though it is not a narcotic? I may have a reason to believe that my boyfriend has developed addiction on this drug. He has been using it for pain relief when he had a skiing accident, and is still using it and always has some pills with him. What should I do?

Wow girl, you have a tough call. I haven’t mentioned for how long has your boyfriend been on the drug and you are still not sure if he is addicted or not! Once you have determined he is addicted, you have to make him realize he is addicted and then you have to make him go see help. Addiction can’t be treated just by strong will, bc a long use of some drugs changes the way the brain functions. If your boyfriend is addicted to ultram, I would suggest professional counseling for both of you, because you have to know what you are doing. I wish you good luck!!!!

Utram, Tramal, Tramadol HCI or whatever the name is on that part of earth you are located,,, tramadol has the same or even more potential for addiction than codeine,,, eventhough in the US it is not classified as a narcotic, it is a synthetic opioid , which affects the same parts of the brain than a regular opioid does like codeine, vicodin or whatever....

Tramadol offers the same high as vicodin and other narcs,, but it lasts a lot longer than those,,, and it is very addictive

I was not aware you needed a prescription in the US to buy,,, where I am from,,, you can even get it on gas stations,,, or super markets...

My wife has been on Tramadol for 13 years now and takes 5 or 6 50mg pills 3 times a day. She "says" it's for pain and bowel control. How do I find out for sure, either way. The Dr's will take her off it , and according to her, she dropped to 85 lbs ( she's 5' 8 ) until some Dr said ok. Gave her her Tramadol and away she goes. Recently had major surgery and cant get it from her DR's like she is used to. Spending tons online. Should I try to find an alternate for her? She wont on her own.

as for the ultram posts... I am on ultram 200 er, one time a day...it is considered a narcotic, and it does come with warning labels...I have been on meds all my life.... Ive had crippling arthritus since i was little... Ive been put on everything from 30 mg Roxicet 3-4 times a day to Ultram. I found myself starting to bulid a tolerance to the Roxi's and tapered myself off of them...because where i live there is NO help for people who become addicted to rx Drugs. TRUST ME, anything is better than cold turkey!!! Unisom is great for sleep, unless you can get a doc to prescribe you something like kolonipin, because you WILL experience slight anxiety and depression in the first few weeks you are clean... and it does make you drowsy and sleep much better... In my opinion DO NOT get sleeping pills like Ambien...it made me hallucinate and sleep walk, i felt horrible in the morning. Also hot showers and baths will help the soreness and creppy tingling feeling in your legs. The first 3 days are tough, but after you will be okay. Your head will clear, and youll start to feel like youve just gotten over a horrible flu for the past few days. Its WORTH STOPPING...the only other help is suboxen or Colonadine...(spelling?)...some of us arent that lucky and some get addicted to the Suboxen, replacing one pill for another...so if you go that route makesure you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....but they do cut down the WD symptoms and block opiates if you try and use while you are taking the sub. they also buld up in your system so that you do not need to take as many each day and can taper off them without any WD IF you do it right.

Although Ive been addicted to Rx pain killers, there is nothing that works on my arthritus except Ultram now, (no where near as good as Roxi's) but its once a day, never exceeded, and its controlled by my doctor...Id rather be on non=narcotic pain killers but my job consits of manual labor and I cant get through a work day with pain.

You have to have CONTROL if you take narcotic pain killers, because anyone who knows anything about WithDrawl, and tapering will tell you how much it sucks to feel that way no matter how good those pills make you feel. Dont let the pills control you, follow your doc's orders, and if you feel you are taking too much, taper down day by day...

from experience, Ultracet, is Highly addictive. I have had problems with coke, and speed in the past but Nothing compares to ultrams highly seductive allure.

And for me, when i come off it, i get headaches, cramps, vomit, dry heaves, diarrhea, hot cold flashes, the un-dieing urge to get more, pain, joint stiffness, restless leg, i feel like general death. Pretty much like a heroin with drawl.

The crazy thing is however, ultram does not get me High, It just makes my entire body and mind free of pain and god does it last.

id say its just as addicting as cigarettes cause im addicted to them to. So, i know. I sorta get the same way cutting them too.

Any one who says this sh*t isnt addictive is blowing straight hot air directly from their ass. This stuff is deadly man. But do i ever enjoy it.

I think I am addicted. I started taking ultram for me knee pain and had the bottle of pills left over for a while. The other night I remembered I had them and since I had cramps I thought they might help. I took them and sure they helped but I also felt amazing. In a nice euphoric state of just not caring about anything, and almost like day dreaming. I have taken 100 to 150 mg almost every night. I wont take them at work because they make me nauseous if i move around too much, and when I don't take them all I can think about is going home and taking some. I have never been addicted to anything but cigarettes and I can relate to the person before me who said it's like trying to quit cigarettes. I didn't take them the other night and that whole night i was on edge and irritable, and the next day at work I was a complete b***h. I havent had any all day and I've been cranky and had headaches and was sick to my stomach. I just took two 50mg pills and feel fine. I've only read horror stories about people who have been addicted and I don't want to go through that, but I feel like i need these pills now, even though I've only been taking them for about two weeks now. I'm completely lost.. I want to stop but at the same time I don't..

Yes, ultram is a weak opiod and a very small % develop addiction. He might need a medicine called suboxone to wean off.

I'm very sorry your going through this with your boyfriend, but to answer your question as to whether ultram is addictive, YES IT IS, I am an addict to opiates, my Dr gave me ultram for an injury and I quickly discovered that I could get high from it, and being the good addict that I am, I abused it, even though it was thought to be non-addicting, they were wrong, it was easier to get off of ultram than hydrocodone, but its also very easy to get away with abusing ultram because its.thought to be non-addicting, I would definitely talk to his family.and even the Dr that's prescribing the medicine to him, good luck and God bless!!!