I have been addicted to pain killers for about 7 years now ever since I tried them in High School. I never had them for pain but tried them because I was a kid in high school and did not realize how they would effect me mentally. Before I had gone months without taking them and not thinking about them until I was able to find someone who had a steady supply of them. I want to get off them and I can go a few days without them but then just end up getting some more and starting the whole process all over again. I cannot go to rehab because of my job and none of my friends or family know about any of this. The part I hate the most about quitting is not being able to sleep. Yes I get the other withdrawal symptoms the hot flashes and the cold sweats and the occasional not feeling happy. The crazy part is that when I am detoxing I do feel happier after a few days but still cannot convince myself to stop. Like I said my biggest issue is not being able to sleep and feeling very anxious without them. If anyone has any advice please help me out. I am 25 and don't want to be 26 with the same problem.

I take percocet and hydrocodone for chronic pain for the last 4 yrs, (now 42 yrs). I am a sick person physically since age 22, have had lots of surgeries and health problems, so I have always had them on and off. Now I have had them for four years straight, just had surgery to fix things and want to get off the pills. After the 5 days without them I start feeling great, my puffy eyes go away and I am happier. I have the same question why do I start taking them again. I know the 5 days of without them kill me, but by day 6 I feel really good. I need advise too...

hang in there !!!! go to n. a. meetings. they are very helpful and you will have a great support system.