Hi, I have been taking Adderall occasionally to have more concentration when I need to learn. But, it seems to me that I am addicted to Adderall. Is it possible to develop addiction?

Hi, yes it is possible to develop addiction to Adderall, as it is a stimulant. Adderall is supposed to be taken under the careful guidance of a physician. What you are doing is a misuse. But, you should keep in mind that a part from giving you more energy to learn it can have numerous side effects like loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping, dry mouth, headaches, mood changes, anxiety, paranoia, weight loss or sudden death. Even psychosis, severe anorexia, aggression have been reported. it is very tempting not to use it, but still think again next time you reach for Adderall.

I have a friend who worked for Fed-ex for almost two years. He used adderall to keep himself awake on late shifts. Now that he got laid off he still takes adderall on a regular basis so I believe that adderall is addictive.

Speaking from personal experience....DO NOT TAKE ADDERALL!!! Might as well be using Crystal Meth"amphetamine". Adderall is the most addictive substance I have ever put into my body.

Hate to say it, but Adderall has been the love of my life for 11 years now. Prior to adderall I was homecoming queen, happy, healthy, and the hottest girl on campus...normal.

Now 31, single, chain smoker, paranoid, depressed, never leave the house, no friends, no boyfriends...no life: Addicted

I took Ritalin (methylphenidate) for yeas and could stop at any time without withdrawal symptoms. In fact, I stopped for six months last year. I just got a new rx for Adderal and I assumed it would also not form a dependance, especially since my doc says I can not take it on the weekends. I thought it had a dependence profile identical to ritalin, but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps you are taking more than prescribed or abusing this medication in another way? Or perhaps you are just mentally addicted to it because you get a kick out of it? Or perhaps I just don't get "high" off of it because I really have ADD so I can't understand your addiction. Anyways, if you do have a problem with it I would think switching to methylphenidate (in particular concerta XR to prevent abuse) would help you.

Sounds like me, only im 33 and dont smoke..Panic attacks when have to leave the house coz in such a mad state of sleep deprived over amped psychosis. As for being addicted, its more mental than physical, also some people (like me) just have very addictive personalities, be it food drugs or sex,. ill go thru 300 pills in 5 days and when they gone i dont crave or go nuts hanging for a fix. yet the day b4 i can fill a new script seems to go for ever.. i say to self na,, wont refill this time round, but come the day,, is the first thing i do.. Basically, if they in the house then i have to gobble them up, no self control.. But as far as addicted goes, nope, nothing like the addiction i had to heroin, Even pot id go mad when had none,, And as i have no reason nor any one to stop for why bother.. the Amphets are my wife,lover,friend and enemy..

Adderall is NOT physically addictive, but it IS psychologically addictive. If you have an addictive personality, you may THINK you are addicted to it. Which will make it harder for you to stop taking it. But it is an amphetamine, which instantly goes through your body, and leaves just as quickly. It doesn't hang around and build up like anti depressants do, which CAN cause a physical addiction.

Amphetamines are poison.
I have been taking them for 26 years, nearly every single day and they are more than psychologically addicting. Long term use causes the adrenal gland to shrink due to not being used because the drug replaces it, for lack of better word, and just like any part of the body, it will atrophy from under use. I consider this to be a physiological form of addiction which, over time, strongly re-enforces the already powerful psychological addiction.
This is only my opinion, but a very well "informed" one. lol

I really believe that it depends on the person. I have been taking adderall since the seventh grade and am currently 26 and still have no addiction to the medication. However i have also been diagnosed with ADD since the seventh grade as well. During this time i have been able not to lose control or get addicted as many of you have stated. I still use the same 10mg pills that i was prescribed by the same doctor years ago. I have made sure not to abuse this drug by taking days on and off it. i have taken adderall for 30 days in a row and stopped taking them for 14 days with no signs of withdraw both physically and mentally. i take the medicine for work mon-fri and do not take them on the weekends. i understand that yes i am prescribed the medicine and yes i have add but i know people that have taken painkillers for pain and recreational use that have become addicted and can't stop. so my advice is if you are going to take adderall for anything try and find a balance for it. take days on and off so you do not feel like that you are dependent on this medicine.

i just started addrall a month ago and i have add but it gives me a good sex drive and my girlfriend as well we enjoy taking it i agree it ify weather its addictive or not i think hell yeah to adrall

omg it is not like meth at all. You just need to have some self control,and you will be fine

Just have a good understanding of what you are doing and why. If you have some self control you should be just fine. Just be aware. thats all

Why are you even on this post MF, if it hasn't crossed your mind you're addicted?