I AM A 44 YR OLD FEMALE REALLY THE ONLY THING I FEEL I HAVE EVER BEEN ADDICTED TO WERE CIGS. WELL I HAVE BEEN BATTLING SOME BACK PAINS FOR SOME TIME. I HAVE HAD A MRI AND IT SHOWS THAT I NEED SURGERY AND THEY CAN ONLY GIVE ME A 50/50 THAT IT WILL WORK SO I SELECTED TO GO THE PAIN MANGEMENT ROUTE. SO I HAVE BEEN ON 3 1MG ZANEX FOR ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AND ALSO LORATAB 10MG FOR 1 YR THEN MY DR PUT ME MORAPHINE 30 MG 3 A DAY SO NOW HE HAS TAKEN ME OFF THE MORAPHINE AND SWITCHED ME TO OXYCOTIN 20MG 2 TIMES A DAY. I HAVE ONLY BEEN ON THEM FOR 2 DAYS I HAVE NEVER FELT S BAD IN MY LIFE. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE THE FLU X 20 DO YOU THINK IT IS BECAUSE I JUST WENT COLD TURKEY OFF THOSE TABS AND WENT TO ANOTHER WITHOUT WEENING BECAUSE MY DR NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT IT :-(

Hi Guest,

Make sure to go into depth with your doctor/pharmacist about the things you are experiencing. You are not alone though. ALOT of people often have symptoms with this drug. I looked up some information for you, I hope this helps you. God bless you, hang in there, and dont forget to tell your doctor ALL your questions/concerns/symptoms. It might also help to write a little "script" (so to speak), so that you know EXACTLY what you want to ask him/her and write the things down. If your like me, you might forget unless you write it down.

1. What kind of medicine is OxyContin?

OxyContin contains oxycodone, a very strong narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine. OxyContin is designed so that the oxycodone is slowly released over time, allowing it to be used twice daily. You should never break, chew, or crush the OxyContin tablet since this causes a large amount of oxycodone to be released from the tablet all at once, potentially resulting in a dangerous or fatal drug overdose.

2. What kind of pain is appropriate to treat with OxyContin?

OxyContin is intended to help relieve pain that is moderate to severe in intensity, when that pain is present all the time, and expected to continue for a long time. This level of pain severity may be caused by a variety of different medical conditions

6. Can I take other medicines while I am using OxyContin for pain relief?

Combining OxyContin with some other types of medication such as sleeping pills, tranquilizers, and other pain medications may be dangerous due to the risk of interactions of these medications that can result in injury or death. You should speak with your physician before taking any other medicines with OxyContin. You should also tell your physician about all prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and dietary supplements/herbal remedies that you are taking before starting OxyContin.

. Will I become addicted to OxyContin if I take it every day?

OxyContin is only intended for moderate to severe pain that is present on a daily basis and that requires a very strong pain reliever. Patients with this type of severe pain condition require daily pain treatment. Taking OxyContin daily can result in physical dependence, a condition in which the body shows signs of narcotic withdrawal if the OxyContin is stopped suddenly. This is not the same thing as addiction, which represents a situation in which people obtain and take narcotics because of a psychological need, and not just to treat a legitimate painful condition. Physical dependence can be treated by slowly under the advice of a physician by slowing decreasing the OxyContin dose when it is no longer needed for the treatment of pain. Concerns of addiction should not prevent patients with appropriate pain conditions from using OxyContin or other narcotics for pain relief.

Bless you,

Hizgrace