Hi, I am 27 years old male and very often I have headaches. In such situation I usually take an aspirin and my headache disappears. I take several aspirins per week and I have noticed that nothing else helps me as good as aspirin. I am just wondering if I can get addicted to aspirin.

Hi, I was also taking aspirin for a very long time because of my heart problems and I never became addicted to it. You may develop mental addiction because you see aspirin as solution for your problem. Physical addiction like one which may be developed in people, who are taking drugs, is impossible. Anyway I suggest you to visit your doctor and consult about your headaches.

I also have headaches everyday and the only thing that helps me is aspirin. I take Excedrin which contains aspirin and it's the only thing that helps me. I went to all these dr's and nothing is wrong, I told them that I take aspirin everyday and they seem fine with it. I do believe that you are addicted because I know I am too, i have no problems some stress but who doesnt i work go to school but I have no idea what to do about my addiction

i take asprin for cramps and head aches and latly i have been bad about it and taking like 6 a day, it makes me feel better but i dont know if i am addicted?

I take 7 aspirins at a time, aspirin works better than anything, even vic's dont work, morphine maybe.

Seems like from the look of things Aspirin is slightly addictive. Be very careful and only take your prescribed dosage NO MATTER WHAT.

I too am interested in this since I take about 4-6 500mg aspirin a day.  If I don't take it I'll get a bad headache, guaranteed.  The BBC just had an interesting look at the connection between headache and pain relievers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19646921. I don't know if it counts as addiction but it seems repeated use of pain relievers, even such as apirin and ibuprofin, can "disrupt the balance of the body's own pain control system."  The solution is to quit use of all pain relievers "cold turkey" for 6 weeks to let the body reset.  I managed a couple miserable days only. I'm back "addicted"...but I feel good, at least.

I am 18 and it started with a headache and i would take aspirins. I would usually take about 4 for one headache. And eventually, for any pain, Aspirins were my to-go pill. I did what someone mentioned, i just went Cold Turkey for a while. And i don't need them anymore. :)

No, you cannot get addicted to asprin, however, you can take too much.  Also, aspirin is a bloodthinner, so be carful while you take it.  If you cut yourself, you could get in serious trouble.

~Dr. Ann White

I'm on this forum today because i suspect my wife of 16 years is addicted to an aspirin type pain reliever called "Nordinet" She has been using it almost if not every day ever since I met her in 1995, she usually takes 2 to 4 or up to 6 per day, I have pleaded w/ her to try one week without taking them. she has tried but suffered crippling headaches and was only able to stop 2 days, if that is not the definition of an addiction, then what is...

You obviously have no clue what addiction is. Many people suffer migraines, if aspirin is the only thing that works well, it does not mean your addicted. Yes people can have psychosomatic disorders, and become addicted to habits and not an actual substance per say. If I was you I would support your wife in finding what's triggering her headaches (diet, caffeine, stress, certain people, etc), instead of asking her to give up one only thing she believes helps her...

Are you a doctor? I am talking about the guest that said you cannot get addicted to aspirin? I was wondering if you were a doctor, because i may take your advice. I have taken Anacin and Excedrin every single day for 30 years now. I also have IBS and i do bleed through my bowels sometimes. I have daily headaches, and nothing else helps.I can't stop taking them. I have tried. I know my stomach is a mess because pf them. But i don't know what to do.

Hi I am 34 year old female and I really disagree I take over 12 asprin a day and I have now for 8 years, I have tried so much to quit but because of doctors like you that say that you can't get addicted to it there is no chance of getting any help.

I am battling with asprin i take up to 30 pills a day when i get stressed out or nervous i turn to the asprin try to drown the stress out i need help before its to late..

New Member
I am also addict to Aspirin. Even Dr. think I am. See I have chronic arthritis pain. Aspirin works the best for me, even better than opiates. I also have heart disease. I had 2 heart attacks, so I have to take 1 aspirin a day. When I take 2000mg or more a day of Aspirin I am totally pain free. Well Doctors have been on my case about it for years About 12 different doctors have told me that in my case Oxycodone is safer for my vital organs than Aspirin. Well now I am on Oxycodone 10mg three times a day. And you know what it sure doesn't work as good as Aspirin. So I do take extra Aspirin every day. Boy you should hear the doctors yell and lecture me about it. What do I do?