Hello, I was on lantus for 1 year and had problems regulating my BG so my doctor switched me over to levemir. All of of a sudden I had problems with extremely low potassium levels. My doctors weren't sure what was going on. Come to find out low potassium is one possible side effect of levemir. Now, levemir works much better than Lantus so I'm wondering if there are any alternatives such that I won't have to go back to lantus? What other insulins should I (can I) use. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all. Thanks.

An alternative to lantus would be humulin. Humulin is regular insulin that controls high blood sugar.

It is a man-made insulin and is the same as human insulin and is a short-acting insulin. Often, humulin is used in combination with a medium or long-acting insulin. It can be used alone or with metformin.

humulin vs lantus

This man-made insulin product is the same as human insulin. It replaces the insulin that your body would normally make. It is a short-acting insulin. It works by helping blood sugar (glucose) get into cells so your body can use it for energy. This medication is usually used in combination with a medium- or long-acting insulin product. This medication may also be used alone or with other oral diabetes drugs (such as metformin).

Levemir (detemir) acts longer than regular (humulin) and delievers a low but steady level of insulin. It can be used with shorter-acting insulins. It can also be used alone or with metformin or exenatide.

Lantus can be used as an alternative to levemir. Lantus (glargine) is a man-made long-acting insulin similar to human insulin. It starts working more slowly and last for a longer time than humulin (regular insulin). There are other insulins and non insulin meds that may work for you as well but you'll need to talk with your diabetes manager and find out what those are and whether they are right for you.

"An alternative to Lantus would be Humulin"? How, on Gods green Earth, can a long lasting/ slow acting insulin be replaced by a short acting insulin? I'll tell you. It CAN'T. PLEASE do not give advice on a subject that you clearly know nothing about. So that there is no confusion, I have been a T1 for 46 years. I know a thing or two about dealing with the disease.