Hello everybody, I did a search on the Internet on Lantus insulin side effects. It seems there are reports that Lantus can increase your risk of developing cancer. Is there any scientific connection to cancer? I've been on low dose Lantus for 3 years now. I've haven't had any problems that I'm aware of but I'm wondering if I should be checked out by my doctor to make sure everything is okay. I read that Lantus can increase the risk of breast cancer and it turns out that breast cancer runs in my family. If anyone has any information on this I would dearly like to know. Thank you for taking your time to reply.

There is some research that suggests that Lantus (synthetic insulin) made by Sanofi-Aventis may increase the risk of cancer. There were studies done in Germany and Sweden that demonstrated an increased incidence of cancer with Lantus users. This research looked at data from an insurance database of 127,000 German insulin users and found that Lantus users (low dose) for 1 ½ years had a 9 percent increase in developing cancer that other diabetics taking traditional insulin treatments. They also reported that diabetics who took higher doses increased their risk of cancer by 31 percent. Then researchers looked at the U.K., Sweden and Scotland. Swedish data indicated a doubling of breast cancer risk, U.K and Scotland demonstrated no statistically significant increase. These results are really skewed so there is nothing conclusive here. Clearly more studies need to be conducted. Just because you find that two things increase together doesn't mean that they are correlated at all. There really jumping the gun here. Many of these patients may have a predisposition for cancer and that could be independent of Lantus. There are a number of variables that would need to be considered. At the moment, I wouldn't worry if you are taking Lantus. I take it and will continue to do so.

Scientifically oh yes, it bind to insulin growth factors too many times compared to other available option such as Tresiba

I see that you are worried about the effects of Lantus and the possibility of this insulin causing cancer in those who use it. Since there are other brands of long acting insulin available, see if your doctor thinks you can switch to something else. You certainly do not need to put yourself through worry of whether this insulin will increase your chances of getting cancer. If there are conflicting studies about it, there is always that chance of it being carcinogenic. With the new long acting insulin available, you may find it better to just switch so you do not have the worry weighing over your head.