Hello, I'm type 2 and I feel I need to change the insulin I'm taking. I take a bolus of Novorapid and I run around 5 to 7 during the day. My diet is a low carb diet and I exercise regularly, however for the past4 months or so my fasting BG is going higher and higher. I used to be around 7 but now I'm up around 9 and climbing. I'm getting concerned about this. I'm doing BG testing at night and I have found that by BG levels rise around 6am in the morning. I think I need a basal insulin but which insulin do I request? I have never used a basal so I'm not sure what to ask. Can someone please advise? Thanks.

Hi, Since your BG levels are going high at 6am, this sounds like your liver is releasing a fair amount of glucose at that time and perhaps what insulin you do make (less now than before) can't keep up. It sounds like a basal might be just you need. You could go on a basal insulin trial. Some people take Lantas and others take Levemir. I'm not familiar with Lantas but I have taken Levemir for almost a decade. I find it works well for me. I suggest either one of these because no matter what it will be a matter of trial and error. Since your BG levels are rising in the morning, you may just want to adjust your bolus dosage (Levemir) to deal with that before you go to adding a basal to therapy. You really might want to do this as it is easier to handle I would think. Talk to some more people on this forum and see what they have to say. I'm sure others have had this problem and adjusted their bolus first perhaps and then found that worked but on the other hand maybe it didn't and they had to add a basal. There's lots of good people out there that can help.

Hello! I found pretty much strange that you use just one bolus of Novorapid. Novorapid should be used pre meals (not only one bolus/day) and in combination with a long acting insulin. Are you sure you understood what your doctor has prescribed to you? Normally

You may very well need a basal insulin if you are having trouble controlling your blood sugars throughout the day and night. I believe the doctor will have his/her preference on the type of basal insulin that would be best for you and your situation. Each type of insulin should be good for controlling your blood sugars throughout the day offering support for nighttime blood sugars as well. So you will be put on Lantus or Levemir as they are the most common long acting insulin used for this. You should talk with your doctor as soon as possible so that you can get your blood sugars under control.