When i was 4 years old, my mother gave birth to a baby boy, he was afro-american, she was caucasion. Today this is no big deal, but back in the 50's it was unheard of and brought much humiliation the the families.
She adopted him out straight after he was born. I found out about him when i was around 10 years old, but at the time and being so young, i really didn't care. He has been on my mind for a very long time and i have tried to post ads and have scoured adoption forums, leaving messages and comments, so far, nothing.
My mother has passed as well as the rest of the family who may have had some information. I really don't want to spend scads of money but i was wondering if there is another way. I know the hospital records are sealed but i have one family member left in Watertown, that's where i hale from. She is quite a bit younger than me and married into the family well after we moved to Rochester, so she did not even know my mother. We have been in contact since my aunt died and she works at the hospital where i think my half brother was born.
Would it be out of line to ask her if she has any way of finding any information out for me? I am not suggesting that she jepardize her job, but does she have access to records because she is employed at that hospital?

Does any one have any suggestions on how i could search for him without going broke in the process?
I feel he needs to know some of the fams medical history as well. 3 family members have died from one form of cancer or another, including our mother. Thanks in advance :-D

That is so heartbreaking! I'm sorry to hear that your brother and you were separated so long ago and for such a dumb reason too. I don't think that it would be too out of line for you to ask her if she can do anything to help, but yes, she could be fired so it's really up to her discretion. I also seem to think that some of this stuff is a matter of public record so you could try looking. I'm not entirely sure of where you can start but I do know it's possible and not that expensive either. Does anyone else know?