my daughter was diagnosed with adhd..I'm not really sure she has that. The doctor didn't do any tests just diagnosed her by watching her for 45 minutes..My daughter is hyper ever since her brother was born (he's 18months old now) She always likes to be on the go. Lots of energy. Couldn't sit still. School said when she was asked to complete a task, she couldn't do it. Like she was "lost" and didn't understand. What I would like to know is could she have something other than adhd? Someone said it could be anxiety..Doctor had her on ritalin, it was too strong. She said we only had to give it to her when she was home. Yesterday I didn't give her any and the only difference I noticed was that she screamed alot, especially when her brother would scream. Everything else was the same. She sat and watched cartoons for a while without having to run around. Doctor now has her on dexadrine because she said that might work better...My husband was "Diagnosed" with adhd when he was small. We were going through his medical records and it says he was medicated with dexadrine from age 5 or 6 until age 8 then there were no symptoms of adhd after that..That's not how ADHD works, correct???????
what tests do they really do to diagnosed adhd? do i get another opinion or 2 or 3?

hi i ave adhd you should definetly get a psyclogogyist to determine whether ur child has adhd its sometimes difficult to diaganose she could just be hyper for another reason i was told a didnt have adhd from a councillor but i did in the end adhd is not nice to have its much more than being hyper look up the symptoms on google i am on concerta and i find it extremely helpful i can do my school work and everything do find out if ur child has it or not cos i went my whole life without it and my learning difficulties and adhd have greatly contributed to me becoming deppressed if u want more info just write back goood luck

Hello Blue Jay,

When you say your doctor, you mean psychologist? Because doctors do not usually write prescriptions for ADHD or diagnose it, psychologists and psychiatrists do. Nevertheless, I feel like there is no way to say that she has ADHD unless you take her to a mental health professional and have her specifically tested for ADHD. When I was a child, every teacher in my elementary school wanted me put on medications because I was hyperactive, loud, and inattentive, but my mom refused, and I am glad. I genuinely feel that some teachers only want to make their job easier by having the loud kid medicated. Not only this, I personally think that Adderall or Rytalin is something that should not be given to any child. If they decide, at an older age, that they wish to take it, then that's all good. But, the side effects are things that younger children do not know how to deal with (eg loss of appetite leading to stunted growth)...but that's a whole other story. Back to the point, I was worse than your daughter, from how it sounds, back at that age. I had some early educational problems, but nothing major. In middle school I was a little wild still, but got more than acceptable grades (all A's and B's). I graduated high school with a 3.6 and I am currently a junior in college with a 3.7.

I started taking adderall after my sophmore year of college when a psychology teacher of mine noticed little things that suggested I had A.D.D., and she suggested I go get tested. It turns out that I have a 'rare type' of ADD that leads me to have issues with things like organization and mental math, but function normally otherwise. I took Adderall for about 8 months on a regular basis, and decided that the benefits of taking it daily were out weighed by the side effects (loss of appetite, strange mood, lack of interest in socializing). I still take it when I really need to for exams or other school issues, but this is why I feel like giving it to a child is irresponsible. I guess my point is that I (now 21) am able to decide I don't want to take it, but many children cannot decided for themselves or their parents will not let them decide for themselves.

I think that you might want to have her tested just for your own personal knowledge. But, until you start to see serious school issues, then there is not any reason to be putting a child on medication...just my personal opinion. (and for the record, I am not suggesting that your child's doctor or teacher is one of the bad people who just want to get children medicated so they are easier to work with...just saying that it is something to keep in mind)

Hope this helps.