Perhaps someone can tell me what's going on. I started running almost every day 6 months ago, and I noticed that now every time I sit for some time (at the office, in a car, at the movies, when eating, on the couch....) my butt starts to hurt like hell and I can't stay sitted any longer. When I get up it hurts even more for a few seconds and then it goes away. It doesn't hurt at any other time, when running or walking or anything else. Only when I sit. 

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I burned the fat that used to cushion me and now my sitting bone is too exposed? By running I should have created muscle as well so that should cushion me too, so I'm not sure if that's the reason. It sounds funny when I think about it, but it's quite painful. Hope someone has a similar experience or has some knowledge on the matter and can help me.

Google periformis syndrome.  It's a muscle that can get tangled up with your sciatic nerve and cause the same type pain except that the sciatic nerve doesn't act up in your thighs with periformis.  Just across the bottom of your pelvic bone, where you put pressure on it while sitting.

My regular doctors didn't know what it was - even a sports doc didn't but I asked him for a prescription for a month's physical therapy and the therapist showed me some exercises to do that completely cured it.  You can do them at home once you've been shown which to do.

Hurts like heck, doesn't it?

Oophs! Make that piriformis syndrome! Sorry; misspelled.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try to find exercises for that and post with the results.